Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Unbelievably frustrated right now - I'm using a FSP400-60FGGBA flex ATX for the PSU and it turns out one of the corner notches on the 8-pin is square instead of notched - it won't connect to my 2060 mini. I was led to believe this unit would be compatible, has anyone encountered this problem?

Edit: Found my answer, this appears to be an EPS connector. I'll have to return this and look for a proper compatible unit; the wait continues...

Does it not have these connectors? Where did you buy that power supply?

ZMan

Average Stuffer
Oct 12, 2017
Unbelievably frustrated right now - I'm using a FSP400-60FGGBA flex ATX for the PSU and it turns out one of the corner notches on the 8-pin is square instead of notched - it won't connect to my 2060 mini. I was led to believe this unit would be compatible, has anyone encountered this problem?

Edit: Found my answer, this appears to be an EPS connector. I'll have to return this and look for a proper compatible unit; the wait continues...
I have one of those. Actually exactly the same SKU. And it has both EPS and PCIe power connectors. Look for connector that is 6+2.
If that does not help - send a picture of the connectors.

AZengus

Cable Smoosher
Aug 5, 2019
Believe me, I've stared at the connectors for 30 minutes - there's a 24-pin, 4-pin and a 8-pin and not much else (some molex, sata and a floppy disk cable). P3 is missing (edit: or rather, that's the EPS connector).

I thought I scored a deal off of eBay, but apparently not. The seller is reputable and the model matches, so maybe this one came from a custom batch with some pinouts missing.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Believe me, I've stared at the connectors for 30 minutes - there's a 24-pin, 4-pin and a 8-pin and not much else (some molex, sata and a floppy disk cable). P3 is missing (edit: or rather, that's the EPS connector).

I thought I scored a deal off of eBay, but apparently not. The seller is reputable and the model matches, so maybe this one came from a custom batch with some pinouts missing.

Sounds like you received a European version of the FSP400-60FGGBA, which has a 4 pin EPS connector instead of the 6+2 PCIE connector. For some reason, FSP sells two (or more, who knows?) differently pinned out power supplies under the same part number.

I would suggest checking whether the seller mentioned a 6+2 PCIE connector in the product description so that you could return it on the basis of an incorrect product description.

apaperpiece

Cable Smoosher
Jun 10, 2019
Digging up an old comment...

I'm looking at doing a similar build to you with the Velka 3 with a Ryzen 2600 and L9a.

Question for you is did you end up with the Enhance Flex PSU? I've just ordered it in as it was the last day they would ship them apparently, and didn't want to miss out.

On a semi related note, I'm running the Dancase A4 with the L9a and 3700x right now and my experience regarding temps has been the same as yours. I've got a Asetek 645 ready to be installed once all the Velka related goodies arrives =)
Sorry for the late reply, but I used the FSP PSU and not the Enhance.

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019

Pardon me if this has already been suggested, but I think it's relatively trivial to re-terminate one of the EPS connectors into PCIe 8 pin, I have made some custom length PSU harnesses in the past, and all EPS/PCIe connectors only have ground/sense and 12v rails. If you've got the tools to extract Molex Minifit Jr pins, you can just get a 8 pin PCIe housing and connect the wires appropriately (pin 4 and 8 should be shorted together and both connect to ground if my memory serves right)

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Pardon me if this has already been suggested, but I think it's relatively trivial to re-terminate one of the EPS connectors into PCIe 8 pin, I have made some custom length PSU harnesses in the past, and all EPS/PCIe connectors only have ground/sense and 12v rails. If you've got the tools to extract Molex Minifit Jr pins, you can just get a 8 pin PCIe housing and connect the wires appropriately (pin 4 and 8 should be shorted together and both connect to ground if my memory serves right)

You can actually buy EPS to PCIE adapters online as well. That power supply has one 4 pin EPS and one 4+4 pin EPS, so they would have to decide between giving the CPU or graphics card 4 conductors.

Marbolite

Chassis Packer
Apr 21, 2019

I have this unit and it came with the 6+2pin needed for the gpu, there must be 2 versions of this psu if what your saying is true and that you have one that has 2 eps connectors

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
On an unrelated note, there is now a website: velkase.com. Specifications, user manuals, and contact information can all be found in one place, with no more manual invoicing.

Prices have been lowered on the following items:
Riserless Velka 3: 20 USD less
VF-8010-PWM fans: 6 USD less
Velka 3 with riser: 0.01 USD less (you are welcome)

rapidshrub

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2019
The FSP Dagger 600W ($90) or Corsair SF600 ($115)? They would go on a VK-5 with a 3600 and a Vega 56.

The VK-5 is cramped... After spending some time with mine I recommend individually sleeved cables. So unless you plan on getting custom cables you should really consider spending a little extra cash and getting the SF600 Platinum. I also recommend avoiding 2.5" drives altogether so that you don't have any more cables than necessary. Here's how mine is looking

The_Mad_Madman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
The VK-5 is cramped... After spending some time with mine I recommend individually sleeved cables. So unless you plan on getting custom cables you should really consider spending a little extra cash and getting the SF600 Platinum. I also recommend avoiding 2.5" drives altogether so that you don't have any more cables than necessary. Here's how mine is looking

There is also a really good discount on the "EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GM, 80 Plus Gold 650W". It's would be about $70 (with MIR), it's much cheaper than the SF600 Plat. Do you consider the plat necessary?

Also, what cpu cooler is that? I'm getting a 3600 so I'm thinking of a L9A.

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
On an unrelated note, there is now a website: velkase.com. Specifications, user manuals, and contact information can all be found in one place, with no more manual invoicing.

Prices have been lowered on the following items:
Riserless Velka 3: 20 USD less
VF-8010-PWM fans: 6 USD less
Velka 3 with riser: 0.01 USD less (you are welcome)

Very nice
When do you plan to start considering V1.2 revisons on the VK-3 ??

Last edited:

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Very nice
When do you plan to start considering V1.2 revisions on the VK-3 ??

I can take suggestions whenever, but work on the next revision will likely only begin in a couple of months, after some YouTube coverage. The plan is to make new cases in the meantime. Currently on my radar:
  • Velka 7. This one will need to have ATX PSU and greater than 2 slot support for accessibility (this case will need to be more than 8 liters in volume to avoid over-saturation), and I cannot decide on the following aspects
    • Horizontal orientation, vertical orientation, or making it possible to switch according to user preference
    • What the graphics card height clearance should be. It's 142 mm in Velka 5.
  • Slim case with SFX PSU support, reference card support around 6.7 L

Reactions: sid21177

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
I can take suggestions whenever, but work on the next revision will likely only begin in a couple of months, after some YouTube coverage.

Oh ok - I think the only one I'd want - lol, so far - is flexibility for the rear HDD mounts similar to the front ones

Velka 7. This one will need to have ATX PSU and greater than 2 slot support for accessibility (this case will need to be more than 8 liters in volume to avoid over-saturation), and I cannot decide on the following aspects
  • Horizontal orientation, vertical orientation, or making it possible to switch according to user preference

Dual orientation would be ideal, failing which a vertical one would be more USP I think. Plenty of horizontal 8L+ cases around

Last edited:

rapidshrub

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2019
There is also a really good discount on the "EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GM, 80 Plus Gold 650W". It's would be about $70 (with MIR), it's much cheaper than the SF600 Plat. Do you consider the plat necessary?

Also, what cpu cooler is that? I'm getting a 3600 so I'm thinking of a L9A.
Don't want to repeat too much information, read back a few pages and look at my posts. The SF600 Platinum comes with individually sleeved cables while the others don't

honeybeater92

Trash Compacter
Jul 14, 2019

You will need to use 4 pin to 6+2 pin adapter in order to use it for the GPU part. I got exactly the same model just like you and I spoke with a guy who told me to use the 4 pin to 6+2 pin adapter in order to use it for the gpu. These are the specs on the site where I bought:

Connectors1 x 24 pin ATX - 32cm long
1 x 8pin EPS12V (4+4 connector) - 32cm long
1 x 4pin ATX12V - 15cm long
4 x 15pin SATA - 2 cable runs each 1st SATA at 35cm 2nd SATA at 50cm
2 x 4pin Molex - 1st molex at 35cm, 2nd molex at 50cm, FDD at 65cm
1 x 4pin FDD

And the rails are as follows:

Output Specs:3.3V @ 14A
5V @ 16A
12V1 @ 18A
12V2 @ 18A
-12V @ 0.5A
5Vsb @ 3A

You would then use the cable from 8pin EPS12V - with EPS12V 8pin to EPS12V 8pin + PCI-E 6+2pin adapter cable adapter. 12V rail carries 18A so it will be more than enough to deliver power for your GPU + CPU.

This is the cable that I got:

link

Again not trying to advertise the cable to buy it, just saying what worked for me.

Sam

Caliper Novice
Jul 19, 2019
I can take suggestions whenever, but work on the next revision will likely only begin in a couple of months, after some YouTube coverage. The plan is to make new cases in the meantime. Currently on my radar:
  • Velka 7. This one will need to have ATX PSU and greater than 2 slot support for accessibility (this case will need to be more than 8 liters in volume to avoid over-saturation), and I cannot decide on the following aspects
  • Slim case with SFX PSU support, reference card support around 6.7 L
Can you make a case like this?

In black, 8.5 liters or less, no temper glass.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Can you make a case like this?

In black, 8.5 liters or less, no temper glass.

I do not think that this type of layout would be efficient around the 8.5 L point. Graphics card compatibility would be even more strict than in the Velka 5 unless case length is increased by an additional 30 mm, making the volume 9.5 L or more. At 1.7x the volume of the VK-5, it would only have better CPU cooler clearance. It would make more sense to make a case with this layout around the 11-13 L size, because that would allow for 240/280 mm radiator support and triple slot graphics card support, similar to the NCASE M1.

• Sad
Reactions: Sam