Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

LiYonJin

Caliper Novice
Mar 9, 2019
VK-3 only supports Flex ATX and VK-5 only supports SFX(-L)
Out of curiosity, for the VK3, is there any plate support at the bottom, or isit a big cut out? as I'm having trouble finding a photos of both bottom designs, because I was just thinking to use double tape to support a HDplex-400w even if you think its uncompatible in terms of no screws holes to screw it down

plate cover to cover the rectangle hole where the flex ATX will fix into as I can always add a 40mm fan from noctua to try exhaust more heat out of the fast, what do you think?

Last edited:

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Out of curiosity, for the VK3, is there any plate support at the bottom, or isit a big cut out? as I'm having trouble finding a photos of both bottom designs, because I was just thinking to use double tape to support a HDplex-400w even if you think its uncompatible in terms of no screws holes to screw it down

plate cover to cover the rectangle hole where the flex ATX will fix into as I can always add a 40mm fan from noctua to try exhaust more heat out of the fast, what do you think?

It is just perforated at the bottom. There is actually an experimental mount for the HDPLEX 400W Hifi DC-ATX on the bottom, which was added as an experimental feature. You can screw it into those bottom slots. The power button will short something out on the HDPLEX PSU if you use this mount, so the only way to use it would be to somehow attach it to the side (maybe with double side tape like you mentioned), out of contact with the power button.

There is also a plate for the DC input, which can be flipped to have the opening for the jack on either the left or right side. That piece is included with every VK-3 case, but it will not be mentioned on any manual or specifications page because it will require a DIY approach to be used.

ssun

Efficiency Noob
New User
Aug 12, 2019
For Velka 5, What is recommended cpu cooler ? NH-L12 will be fit with 3700x ?

Edit:
It turns out too high..

* BLACK RIDGE 47.1 CFM
* NH-L9** for AMD
* Cryorig C7

1. Which one could make it cooler ..? or other suggestions?

2. any case fan could be needed or mountable such as 80 mm exhaust for Velka 5 ?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Raxe

Trash Compacter
Mar 3, 2017
For Velka 5, What is recommended cpu cooler ? NH-L12 will be fit with 3700x ?

Edit:
It turns out too high..

* BLACK RIDGE 47.1 CFM
* NH-L9** for AMD
* Cryorig C7

Which one could make it cooler ..? or other suggestions?

Thank you!
If you want the NH-L12 to fit in a Velka case, you need to wait until september with the wider Velka 7 with cooler up to 70mm (NH-L12S).

Velka 5 has more or less the same cooler height as the Dan A4, so you can see the benchmarks in the subforum of Dan cases.
In the past the best cooler in 47-48mm was the Thermolab Lp-53 with noctua slim 92mm fan.
If you live in europe this cooler is cheaper than a nh-l9i under the brand Cooltek. Cost around 35 euro.

EDIT: It seems that the LP53 has no brackets for AM4, neither the Dynatron cooper ones so...

Last edited:
Reactions: ssun

The_Mad_Madman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
How would the VK-5 do with an AIB card? They push hot air into the case but this one won't have case fans. Should a blower be better?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Neither me or a friend have an invoice on our mail yet, are we screwed?

Currently having to sort out some invoice changes due to gray VK-5 getting sold out instantly. Can you please email me from the same email address used to order, or message me here and let me know which email address you used?

conan48

What's an ITX?
Aug 12, 2019
Hi guys.
I'm thinking of doing my first build in almost 7 years. Coming from a massive tower 3930k intel system, and now I'm ready to downsize.

The VK 5 looks like it has everything I could want after researching hours for SFF cases. It's like Dan A4 but even lighter. Does it really only weight 1.2 LB! thats crazy. Will it be sturdy enough for travel as carry on?

Any chance shipping could be less to Canada? We are neighbors after all and it's so close....

I wan't to purchase the VK 5 and have a few questions related to the case specifically and small builds in general.

1. Michael, could you possibly weight the entire VK5 system? I'm basically looking to use this for travel and instead of a laptop, I'd rather use a small PC and a VR headset as a monitor. Or does anyone have any idea of the approx. weight? I will be stuffing in a Titan X Pascal Intel 9700k and appropriate motherboard and ram.

2. As a first time builder, how difficult will it be to build in such a small case?

3. Will I still be able to use any 2.5" sata drives with the Titan X?

4. Trying to make this as painless as possible, what PSU should I get? looks like 500 watt should be enough? but I'd like to get a power supply that will make it as easy as possible. Ex, the Corsair SFX looks nice but many reviews say the cables make it almost impossible to build in a tiny pc. I don't mind spending more money on PSU cables that are very flexible and thin -any recommendations?

5. Any recommendations on a really good 9700k - motherboard - Ram combo. I'd like some fast Ram if possible (3600) unless it's just not worth it.

6. what is a good CPU cooler for the 9700k that will work in this case?

Sorry for some of these newbish questions but please try to give me a few tips and I'll continue to explore this forum.

Also, I'm surprised so many people are jumping on the AMD bandwagon as the 9700k beats the AMD chips (3700K)easily in games, but suffers in rendering/multitasking. I guess many of you guys prefer a balanced system to a gaming setup?

Last edited:

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Hi guys.
I'm thinking of doing my first build in almost 7 years. Coming from a massive tower 3930k intel system, and now I'm ready to downsize.

The VK 5 looks like it has everything I could want after researching hours for SFF cases. It's like Dan A4 but even lighter. Does it really only weight 1.2 LB! thats crazy. Will it be sturdy enough for travel as carry on?

Any chance shipping could be less to Canada? We are neighbors after all and it's so close....

I wan't to purchase the VK 5 and have a few questions related to the case specifically and small builds in general.

1. Michael, could you possibly weight the entire VK5 system? I'm basically looking to use this for travel and instead of a laptop, I'd rather use a small PC and a VR headset as a monitor. Or does anyone have any idea of the approx. weight? I will be stuffing in a Titan X Pascal Intel 9700k and appropriate motherboard and ram.

2. As a first time builder, how difficult will it be to build in such a small case?

3. Will I still be able to use any 2.5" sata drives with the Titan X?

4. Trying to make this as painless as possible, what PSU should I get? looks like 500 watt should be enough? but I'd like to get a power supply that will make it as easy as possible. Ex, the Corsair SFX looks nice but many reviews say the cables make it almost impossible to build in a tiny pc. I don't mind spending more money on PSU cables that are very flexible and thin -any recommendations?

5. Any recommendations on a really good 9700k - motherboard - Ram combo. I'd like some fast Ram if possible (3600) unless it's just not worth it.

6. what is a good CPU cooler for the 9700k that will work in this case?

Sorry for some of these newbish questions but please try to give me a few tips and I'll continue to explore this forum.

Also, I'm surprised so many people are jumping on the AMD bandwagon as the 9700k beats the AMD chips (3700K)easily in games, but suffers in rendering/multitasking. I guess many of you guys prefer a balanced system to a gaming setup?

VK-5 weight is actually 2.2 lb or 1.0 kg. The only build I have weighed was one with a Noctua NH-L9, SFX PSU, and Gigabyte GTX 1080 mini at 8.8 lb or 4.0 kg.

Regarding shipping to Canada: unfortunately I cannot lower the shipping price. USPS charges me about the same to ship to Canada as it does to ship to other countries, and the additional risk of shipping damages occurring on international shipments is about the same as it is for other countries (I have to factor in the possibility of having to give refunds for this).

To use a 2.5" drive with a Titan X, you will need to choose an SFX power supply as opposed to SFX-L. SFX-L is slightly longer and takes up the space needed for that one 2.5" drive.

The case was designed with transportation in mind, but you can ask these two people on reddit if you have an account about the sturdiness, assembly difficulty, and weight.

The rest of the questions would probably be best answered by other people.

Marbolite

Chassis Packer
Apr 21, 2019
Saddened to see the grey of the vk-5 gone so quickly :(. I've gone with the silver instead, I hope the silver still allows the great quality of the case to shine through like the grey does.
Will take photos of it when I finish the build.

Reactions: VELKASE Michael

DevoJS44

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 8, 2019
I can't believe I submitted my form within 10 minutes of it opening and the gray was already sold out. Really hoping I can get in for the next batch when it is available

AZengus

Cable Smoosher
Aug 5, 2019
First post. I was looking at the install manual for the VK-3...

Given that you're demonstrating a rear-mounted NVMe slot on the diagrams, these types of motherboards appear safe - but are they actually functional as opposed to just not interfering with the riser cable installation? No plans currently on installing there but would like to know if there is an opportunity.

Also, is fan support on the VK-3 strictly 80mm x 10mm thickness, or 15mm allowable?

Edit: My forum title is funny yet depressing at the same time

eromelcm

Case Bender
Aug 13, 2019
VK-3 looks very nice, but could you clarify PSU compatibility. You say modular flex PSUs won't work, how so? The bottom tray is longer than 150 mm to accommodate non-modular cables to bend out and upward. Many modular PSUs have up facing ports so additional horizontal space for cables to bend is not needed. Something like this one from taobao is an extra 24mm (174mm total). Not doable?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
VK-3 looks very nice, but could you clarify PSU compatibility. You say modular flex PSUs won't work, how so? The bottom tray is longer than 150 mm to accommodate non-modular cables to bend out and upward. Many modular PSUs have up facing ports so additional horizontal space for cables to bend is not needed. Something like this one from taobao is an extra 24mm (174mm total). Not doable?

PSU length must strictly be 150 mm. If it is 174 mm like that modified PSU where the breakout board extends past the 150 mm, the case power button will interfere with the plastic connectors.