Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

Boganator

Chassis Packer
Sep 23, 2018
Yeah it was misaligned and I had to remove the IO shield entirely. Since this hardware is only temporary in this case It's not a big deal to me. I will be putting some better hardware with the noctua l9a-am4 in at a later date.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Yeah it was misaligned and I had to remove the IO shield entirely. Since this hardware is only temporary in this case It's not a big deal to me. I will be putting some better hardware with the noctua l9a-am4 in at a later date.

Just to set a realistic expectation, please refer to post #155 as compatibility with that cooler is workable, but not perfect.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Which of these two options sounds more appealing? A 3.6 liter case with support for an ITX graphics card, 37 mm cooler such as the Noctua NH-L9 and case fans, or a 3.8 liter case with support for an ITX graphics card, 47 mm cooler such as the Cryorig C7 and no case fans?

JCameronMorris

Minimal Tinkerer
Jan 17, 2019
Which of these two options sounds more appealing? A 3.6 liter case with support for an ITX graphics card, 37 mm cooler such as the Noctua NH-L9 and case fans, or a 3.8 liter case with support for an ITX graphics card, 47 mm cooler such as the Cryorig C7 and no case fans?

Would prefer 3.6 liter case, the case fans are important to me

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
From what I've read the c7 isn't really an upgrade to the noctua, that said the noctua still needs I think 6mm of space for best operating conditions?

MR3-1

What's an ITX?
Dec 21, 2018
There is no way to screw down the motherboard to the mid panel, as the backplate is thick and the screws can't reach. I looked at the Noctua L9i and noticed that it doesn't have a "backplate" it just uses screws. I then checked the Noctua L9A-am4, and saw that it has a backplate as well. Have you made sure that the Noctua L9A-Am4 works?

It's the same case with L9A-AM4. Two of four screws flex the panel beyond what I saw comfortable. So I just drilled and cut some additional space in the MB retainer panel. Put some electrical tape on it. I don't think structural integrity is damaged and it's now straight. Something to improve in future designs.

Overall I'm happy with the case (got it just yesterday).

Last edited:

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
The "Velka M" will be replaced by "Velka 3", which will be a more versatile case. As such, there will be no more batches of the former available for purchase. The latter will become available sometime this year; maybe this month, maybe several months from now.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Not unless you can put multiple 3.5"s in there

The idea is to take advantage of the multiple sata ports and have many drives, the space/heat is too constrained for spinning drives

With support for case fans, heat should not be a problem for mechanical hard drives. Are 2.5" 5400 RPM mechanical drives ever used for this application, or only 2.5" solid state drives?

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
With support for case fans, heat should not be a problem for mechanical hard drives. Are 2.5" 5400 RPM mechanical drives ever used for this application, or only 2.5" solid state drives?

I would only use SSDs if I went to 2.5" form factor - 2.5 HDDs would be a rare use case

EDIT:
Saw your 7 model thread and that would be a good candidate to do something similar but with multiple 3.5 HDDs instead

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I would only use SSDs if I went to 2.5" form factor - 2.5 HDDs would be a rare use case

This always kind of surprises me when I see this. I have a 2.5 Seagate 2TB 2.5 HDD with about 1.5TB of music on it. It cost $85 which is far cheaper than any 2TB SSD and I don't need the speed for reading music. I will continue to use 2.5 mechanical hard drives until the cost of SSDs can match.

Reactions: VELKASE Michael

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
This always kind of surprises me when I see this. I have a 2.5 Seagate 2TB 2.5 HDD with about 1.5TB of music on it. It cost $85 which is far cheaper than any 2TB SSD and I don't need the speed for reading music. I will continue to use 2.5 mechanical hard drives until the cost of SSDs can match.

And I use multiple 3.5" HDDs which are even cheaper & better performance wise w.r.t 2.5" HDDs

The argument here being to do either fastest or cheapest :)

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Model 7 is going to have a very similar layout to 3, so yes, it may be a good idea to add support for 3.5" drives in the GPU chamber there.

Information regarding models 5 and 7 will be added into this post because of how similar all three of these cases will be.

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
Model 7 is going to have a very similar layout to 3, so yes, it may be a good idea to add support for 3.5" drives in the GPU chamber there.

Information regarding models 5 and 7 will be added into this post because of how similar all three of these cases will be.

Cool
Some kind of bracket that secures against the pci slot cutout & a standoff on the other end (if needed)
Or maybe a plate which mounts on the reverse side of the MB plate with your current extension mechanism

If you would like me to draw it out pls let me know :)
MI-6 has something similar but for 2 SSDs only - can easily be expanded to 4 (I suggested that there as well)

Last edited:

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Cool
Some kind of bracket that secures against the pci slot cutout & a standoff on the other end (if needed)
Or maybe a plate which mounts on the reverse side of the MB plate with your current extension mechanism

If you would like me to draw it out pls let me know :)

Sure, let's see it. My idea would be to just add holes somewhere inside the frame to mount drives onto, but a bracket might work too.