Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

Weredawg

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 5, 2017
I'm getting one soon and I will post my experiences here. My idea is that for example even thoguh I got an i5 8500, I will delid it and apply thermal grizzly conductonaut on the die + kryonaut on top oh the IHS - paired with Noctua NH-L9i. On the gpu side I will apply conductonaut + undervolt it and overclock as much as possible on lowest voltage.

I think it's gonna be veeery quiet!

I don't think noise concerns from the CPU or GPU, but rather the flex PSU. Those tend to be quite loud

apaperpiece

Cable Smoosher
Jun 10, 2019
I finally finished my Velka 3 build with the 3700x and Galax 2070 Mini. Overall, I'm happy with the case, but there are a few minor concerns for me. Putting in the GPU with both screws required quite a bit of force. The backplate on the Galax card seemed to barely fit, which may have been the cause. Would leaving the screw closer to the IO out be okay?

The Strix B450-I has its 8-pin power connector in a position that blocks the back 80mm fan when the case is in a more compressed position. This doesn't bother me much, as in the fully extended configuration the fans are free to move.

Finally, the L9a is struggling to cool the 3700x for me, even in open air. With everything at stock, a single Cinebench R20 run brings CPU temps into the 90s. Once the case fans are under control, the L9a is the loudest part of the system. I applied probably more thermal paste than necessary, but I feel like having a bit too much is better than having too little, and I'm unsure that reapplying will help much.

honeybeater92

Trash Compacter
Jul 14, 2019
I finally finished my Velka 3 build with the 3700x and Galax 2070 Mini. Overall, I'm happy with the case, but there are a few minor concerns for me. Putting in the GPU with both screws required quite a bit of force. The backplate on the Galax card seemed to barely fit, which may have been the cause. Would leaving the screw closer to the IO out be okay?

The Strix B450-I has its 8-pin power connector in a position that blocks the back 80mm fan when the case is in a more compressed position. This doesn't bother me much, as in the fully extended configuration the fans are free to move.

Finally, the L9a is struggling to cool the 3700x for me, even in open air. With everything at stock, a single Cinebench R20 run brings CPU temps into the 90s. Once the case fans are under control, the L9a is the loudest part of the system. I applied probably more thermal paste than necessary, but I feel like having a bit too much is better than having too little, and I'm unsure that reapplying will help much.

How did you manage to put in the 2070? What power supply are you using? As I recall 2070 requires probably 400W + PSU o_O

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018

Using one screw for the riser instead of two is less than ideal, however one may be enough if it seems to sit in place securely.

Can you try tightening the fan screws a little bit more? This is often times caused by fans drooping down, even if it may seem like they are fully screwed in. Half of a rotation on each screw maybe enough.

joconnell

Average Stuffer
Jul 23, 2019
This is very useful news apaperpiece! I'm curious about the flex psus - did you get an all in one solution with the standard psu lead or is it an internal part with an external brick? How many and what type of hard drives have you got in there?

apaperpiece

Cable Smoosher
Jun 10, 2019
How did you manage to put in the 2070? What power supply are you using? As I recall 2070 requires probably 400W + PSU o_O
I ordered the Galax 2070 Mini from their website here: https://galaxstore.net/GALAX-GeForce®-RTX-2070-White-Mini-1-Click-OC-_p_190.html
It's definitely expensive at $480, but has been pretty quiet so far. I'm using the FSP 400W Flex ATX.

Can you try tightening the fan screws a little bit more? This is often times caused by fans drooping down, even if it may seem like they are fully screwed in. Half of a rotation on each screw maybe enough.
I'll try this as soon as possible.

This is very useful news apaperpiece! I'm curious about the flex psus - did you get an all in one solution with the standard psu lead or is it an internal part with an external brick? How many and what type of hard drives have you got in there?
I used the FSP 400W Flex ATX without any brick. The only storage I used was a single M.2 nvme SSD. I chose the Asus motherboard specifically for the front M.2 slot, and SSD temps have been good.

joconnell

Average Stuffer
Jul 23, 2019
Thanks for that APP, It'll be interesting to see if Michael can do anything about the cpu temps, I'm looking at a 3900k build for mine!

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
@VELKASE Michael are there any flex atx 400W psu's beside that FSP one that you were mentioning to me and that could fit in velka 3 ? :D

I do not think so. One more option is the ENP-7660B (Enhance 600W PSU). It can be found on eBay and Zcases has a semi-custom version with a black body and cables on pre-order if I recall correctly. I could also export some power supply from the United States like the 400W FSP unit, but there would be shipping and customs charges you would have to consider.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Thanks for that APP, It'll be interesting to see if Michael can do anything about the cpu temps, I'm looking at a 3900k build for mine!
I do not think that there is much that I can do in the way of improving CPU thermal performance beyond the current. At high fan speeds, you can achieve lower temperatures inside the case than outside the case on the R7 1700 that I have tested (you can find the results at the top).

As clarification, all Flex ATX power supplies are what you called all in one solutions; they take AC from the wall and give ATX output.

@apaperpiece Have you gotten the chance to check what the CPU temperatures are like at higher fan speeds than stock inside the case?

Reactions: joconnell

apaperpiece

Cable Smoosher
Jun 10, 2019
@apaperpiece Have you gotten the chance to check what the CPU temperatures are like at higher fan speeds than stock inside the case?
The Asus BIOS automatically sets fans to 100% whenever the temperature they're detecting is over 75 C. Running with the stock 3700x and chassis and cooler fans at 100% from this lowers temperatures in Cinebench by a bit, maybe a degree or two compared to open air.

What I have been doing to control the temperature for now is setting EDC to 50 with Ryzen Master. This keeps temperatures much lower (~70 C for a single Cinebench run), but loses about 10% performance in Cinebench and doesn't seem to work through the Asus BIOS. It doesn't stop the CPU from sometimes spiking to 75+ C and annoyingly setting the cooler fan to 100%. I think with a better BIOS and working power target controls, the 3900x might be feasible.

Regarding the fan being blocked by the 8-pin connector, I checked and it seemed pushed all the way up for me. With more adjustment, the compressed configuration probably would be okay, but the spacing is very tight. Here are some very bad pictures:

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Can we get a preview of what the back cover plate will look like (even if its WIP)

This is an experimental feature rather than a work in progress. Depending on how it works (or does not), I will decide whether it will be included in this revision as an actual feature, fixed mid-revision, or included in the next revision. The same applies to the new PSU mount plate.
@VELKASE Michael

Will the velka 3 be restocked soon ? :D
Thanks for the reminder. I will post the back-in-stock date here on July 29 or 30, which is at least one week away. Since you have contacted over email I will let you know there too so you will not miss it.

For version 1.1, it would be nice if the side panels had countersunk screws, I think it would improve looks.

This was attempted on the pre-production units several months ago without success, so the current solution is to use countersunk screws with non-countersunk holes as in the previous batch. They will also be less noticeable on the new black color.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
From what is seen - am I correct in assuming it only covers the M/B gap and a PCI slot cover is still required for the PCI slot

It only covers the motherboard gap and a PCI slot cover will not be compatible. I can 3D print it or give you a 3D printable file.

I wanna see a velka 7 cad or something

The design has been delayed so it may take a little bit of time until there are some renders available. Release will also be some time after as well.

Reactions: Sashby