Concept Velka 5: Full size GPUs and internal power supply in 4.6 L

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
This case is not available yet; this is just an idea.

Builds featuring hardware along the lines of a Ryzen 7 2700 and RTX 2080 TI may be possible in a 4.6 liter case. If made, this one will be the smallest brick-less case for full size graphics. Cases of a similar size currently support either ITX size (170 mm) graphics cards with an internal power supply or mini size (~220 mm) graphics cards and require the use of an external power brick.

It will feature a back-to-back layout where the graphics card is behind the motherboard, and the power supply is adjacent to the motherboard on the CPU side. Two slim 80 mm fans can be mounted as well. All visible faces will likely be free of screws.

Specifications
Possible external dimensions: 270 x 92 x 184 mm
External volume: 4.6 L
CPU cooler height: 38 mm
Graphics card length: 267 mm
Cooling: 2x 80 mm fans
Power supply: Flex ATX
Materials: Steel, Aluminum

Below are some early concept renders. The internal structure is not fully pictured.

Last edited:

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 26, 2018
Looks clean, I like it!

But from experimenting with my own diy flex PSU builds, 184mm is going to be pretty tough with cables. the flex atx PSU height without cables is already 150mm). That's leaving a little less than 34mm for both angled power connector and output cables. Even with modular cables it'll be a very tight fit. And this is why I think many flex PSU cases have the PSU sitting at the bottom.

Anther thing with the sandwich layout is that all the hot air wants to escape through the top, so you'll definitely need to keep the top panel very vented. If possible, vent the back plate as much as possible too.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Either the top or bottom will have mounts for two fans. Most modular power supplies will not be compatible as they are longer than 150 mm, but there will be at least 16 mm of space for cables of non-modular power supplies.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
With a CPU cooler height of 38mm, looks like you are targeting the NH-L9 as the ideal cooler, correct?

The 1 mm of fan clearance would create quite a bit of noise/turbulence. I might suggest looking at this as an alternative:
http://www.scythe-cn.com/product/cooler/sc-jt8039-p.html

It has a height of 39mm, but the fan is mounted under the fin stack. This would alleviate any concerns for turbulence. Now, it has been shown that the NH-L9 is a better cooler, but only marginally. A quick google search pulls up a few of these on e-bay, but anyone could buy direct from Taobao. Adding 1 mm might be worth considering, especially if noise is a concern.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1-c-s.w4004-17844727021.15.262f7206MmlkqM&id=561099006708

P.S. Then again, if the NH-L9 is given 2 mm clearance, it may be a non issue.

heckinwoofer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 14, 2017
Very interesting concept. Will definitely be keeping an eye on this.

Just a thought, GPU clearance of exactly 267mm will really limit users' options as some "reference sized" AIB coolers are 268-270mm like EVGA's and ZOTAC's, as well as the blower cards. Not to mention FE cards are difficult to find in many countries.

Also I think the top panel should be vented generously.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Very interesting concept. Will definitely be keeping an eye on this.

Just a thought, GPU clearance of exactly 267mm will really limit users' options as some "reference sized" AIB coolers are 268-270mm like EVGA's and ZOTAC's, as well as the blower cards. Not to mention FE cards are difficult to find in many countries.

Also I think the top panel should be vented generously.

Increasing graphics card clearance to 270 mm would be a good change. Thanks for bringing that up.

Instead of perforating the top panel, I may consider flipping the case to be a "mini tower" such that the fan mounts that are currently on the bottom will be in the back. This will clear the obstruction in front of the fans and improve airflow.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
With a CPU cooler height of 38mm, looks like you are targeting the NH-L9 as the ideal cooler, correct?

The 1 mm of fan clearance would create quite a bit of noise/turbulence. I might suggest looking at this as an alternative:
http://www.scythe-cn.com/product/cooler/sc-jt8039-p.html

It has a height of 39mm, but the fan is mounted under the fin stack. This would alleviate any concerns for turbulence. Now, it has been shown that the NH-L9 is a better cooler, but only marginally. A quick google search pulls up a few of these on e-bay, but anyone could buy direct from Taobao. Adding 1 mm might be worth considering, especially if noise is a concern.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1-c-s.w4004-17844727021.15.262f7206MmlkqM&id=561099006708

P.S. Then again, if the NH-L9 is given 2 mm clearance, it may be a non issue.

I have a solution to this problem in the works that does not involve increasing the space between the fan and the panel, but it does not currently work with all fans. If it does not work out, then the width of the case can be increased.

Reactions: scatterforce

heckinwoofer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 14, 2017
Increasing graphics card clearance to 270 mm would be a good change. Thanks for bringing that up.

Instead of perforating the top panel, I may consider flipping the case to be a "mini tower" such that the fan mounts that are currently on the bottom will be in the back. This will clear the obstruction in front of the fans and improve airflow.

Hmm, I still think it would be better (thermally speaking) to vent both of the long sides of the GPU for non blower types. Otherwise only one side will exhaust and the other will just accumulate heat inside the case.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Hmm, I still think it would be better (thermally speaking) to vent both of the long sides of the GPU for non blower types. Otherwise only one side will exhaust and the other will just accumulate heat inside the case.

Ok, I will have to look into the difference that the additional perforation makes.