Stalled Ultra small cnc-milled itx case

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
Man this is beautiful. And I think you have a winner. If I could change one thing though, I’d raise the height 8mm to get a cryorig c7 in there but I do understand small changes can radically change a creator’s vision of what he wants his case to be.

Tagging this though because I love it.

Reactions: Smitty Werben

Smitty Werben

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 16, 2018
Be careful, most heatsink won't work if flipped upside down. If they use regular heatpipe, it's a no-go. You'll need heatsink using sintered powder technology.

https://www.legitreviews.com/mounting-a-cpu-cooler-the-heatpipe-direction-might-matter_741

It seem that the cooling performance isn't affected that much by the cooler orientation. In my case :) this should be an even smaller problem because the heatpipes of those coolers that currently fit in it are oriented horizontally (noctua nh-l9i). But thanks for pointing this out.

Smitty Werben

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 16, 2018
Man this is beautiful. And I think you have a winner. If I could change one thing though, I’d raise the height 8mm to get a cryorig c7 in there but I do understand small changes can radically change a creator’s vision of what he wants his case to be.

Tagging this though because I love it.

I was actually thinking about making an XL version, which would allow to fit an HDPLEX 400W brick together with an 400W AC-AC. Further more this would make it possible to fit a standard sized ATX-Mainboard in it (without an internal brick and dualslot GPU). And of course taller coolers such as the cryorig c7 and also the stock intel cooler.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
this should

I'd still advise toward testing it in a cardbox. And by testing, I mean more than 15mn. Stress it for a few hours to see how it behaves once the heat stacked up inside the case.

Unchecked assumption and believes only lead to disasters when engineering is involved.

Also, the linked test doesn't mention what the load is nor how long it ran. GPU heatsinks use sintered powder heatpipe for a reason.

This is my 2 cents advise as an engineer who spent his past 18 month validating high speed train software and hardware. Don't engage hard money based on assumptions ! Check the unknown yourself as early as you can before going too far in the manufacturing process ;)

Last edited:

Smitty Werben

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 16, 2018
So here is a little update on the APU version: I'm having a little problem with the sizes. Either 194 x 194 mm or 210 x 210 mm. The first doesn't fit an 2,5 inch ssd neither an HD Plex 400W DC-ATX PSU but its smaller. The second one does fit both but the size is closer to the LP-GPU version (270 x 210 mm) which has space for a DC-DC PSU and an internal power brick. So I need some feedback on that.

194 x 194 mm

210 x 210 mm (the ssd will be mounted on the bottom cover)

There are two 12,5 mm cutouts on the back side, for an vandal-switch and the new HD Plex DC input jack. But im considering not to go with a vandal switch and instead to use the logo on top as the power button. By using something like this, This would free up some space on the backside that could be used for mounting the older version of the input jack.

Updates on the other version will follow the coming week and after I've sorted everything out I'll update my main post. Let me know what you think, ideas/suggestion, potential errors/flaws, any feedback is much appreciated.
Regars Smitty

Last edited:
Reactions: Windfall and JDK

Smitty Werben

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 16, 2018
I'm considering to drop the thin versions and instead to lower the height of the other versions to 59mm (35mm max. cooler height). Has anyone who is iteressted in this project any suggestions ? @JDK @Windfall

JDK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 25, 2018
I'm considering to drop the thin versions and instead to lower the height of the other versions to 59mm (35mm max. cooler height). Has anyone who is iteressted in this project any suggestions ? @JDK @Windfall
By "thin versions", do you mean the first one in your opening post?

I cannot really add much to this project, sorry. I am just intrigued by it. ?