Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

Tech_Guy

Caliper Novice
Oct 15, 2018
Any updates on direct shipment? Friday's the last possible day to ship the cases in this week, really hope they do. It's so frustrated they can't fulfill their promise again and again, a straight 2 month delay is better than riding a roller coaster between heaven and hell, I must be traumatized to check out message and email more than 10 times a day hoping to see the tracking number.

Patrik Michalski hoped to get Answers from the factory Today on pickup dates but not any updates yet.

Reactions: Curvas

D10S

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 4, 2018
not really. it's not optimal for ghost s1. Becouse we can just a lot bigger coolers than the Dan case. I have seen the reviws of that one and it's not for us . :)
Yes, not for me for sure (x299), by the way look like a good sff cooler

Tech_Guy

Caliper Novice
Oct 15, 2018
Direct Shipments are pushed forward to next week and Large Tophat order in directs are pushed forward to later because of manufacture problems how much later they dont know yet.

US shipments only thats on track now and arrives at Amazon 12 October.

Reactions: Curvas

Beardedswede

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2018
Direct Shipments are pushed forward to next week and Large Tophat order in directs are pushed forward to later because of manufacture problems how much later they dont know yet.

US shipments only thats on track now and arrives at Amazon 12 October.
A actually everything exepect direct shipment is on track as I see it

leecm

Caliper Novice
Oct 2, 2018
I believe I saw a couple of comments earlier in the thread steering someone away from an 970 EVO NVMe drive in favor of an 860 EVO. Did I read that correctly? Should I not put a 970 EVO in my upcoming Ghost s1 build? If not, why? It wasn't quite clear in the comments I read.

enthusiast uk

Chassis Packer
Oct 15, 2018
I believe I saw a couple of comments earlier in the thread steering someone away from an 970 EVO NVMe drive in favor of an 860 EVO. Did I read that correctly? Should I not put a 970 EVO in my upcoming Ghost s1 build? If not, why? It wasn't quite clear in the comments I read.
970 Evo is great drive. I'm going to be using the 960 Evo myself. Not sure where you read that I'm sure the others in this forum will confirm that you should be absolutely fine

edrenmarc

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2017

I’m using both m.2 1tb 970 evo and m.2 1tb 860 evo. You just have to look into how your mobo pcie is affected by sata/nvme drives.

leecm

Caliper Novice
Oct 2, 2018
It was the two below posts (2505 and 2506 on page 126)
-----------------------------------

IF you wanna make it more affordable, get a 1080 or such, RTX will take years before its implemented properly. You can use your 1080/1070 a few years before you switch, and then the new RTX will be a lot better. So that's what I would do.
And I would go for a non-blower style. they are more quite and they works great in the case.

NVME M.2 is overkill, most people dont feel or see any difference. You can save your money on that one. and jsut have a Sata SSD:

you could upgrade the CPU to the 9th gen but it's not much difference.
Otherwise it looks good.

Ok, in my opinion you're spending a ton of money, especially where you don't need it. Plotted in to PCPartpicker.au, you'll be spending $2600 AUD. For the same price you could get this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($324.00 @ Shopping Express)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L12 37.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($85.00 @ Umart)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 GAMING-ITX/AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($200.00)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($249.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($119.00 @ Umart)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($229.00 @ Shopping Express)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Turbo OC Video Card ($704.66 @ Amazon Australia)
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($159.00 @ Shopping Express)
Total: $2069.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-23 22:12 AEDT+1100

• CPU: 2600X will be plenty enough for your build. It's more than $100, freeing up money for the rest of your build. It runs at almost the same base frequency, and it has twice the threads.
  • Motherboard: Another benefit with a Ryzen 5, is that a B450 board will be plenty enough for your needs. It supports overclocking and has plenty of features. My board of choice would be the ASRock board, but you could also go with either the MSi (strong VRM's for OC'ing), Aorus (front mounted M.2 for better thermals) or Asus (the best all around and dual M.2 slots). ASRock has a slightly better soundcard and USB C compared to the MSi, less BIOS issues compared to the Aorus (for what I've heard) and it's a fair bit cheaper than the Asus.
  • RAM: Bumped the RAM up to 3200 mhz. Slightly more expensive, but it's not too bad. 3200 mhz should be optimal for Ryzen, which really benefits from fast RAM.
  • SSD's: In everyday use and gaming you will not feel any noticeable difference going with an NVMe drive, compared to a SATA. What you will get is a lot more heat off the NVMe if you push it. I've gone with a SATA M.2 and a SATA 2.5", which also frees up a significant chunk of change.
  • Graphics card: "Downgraded" to a 1080. The performance will be virtually the same, and RTX is not utilized in any games and it looks like the 2070 will run RTX games at a terrible frame rate. Wait for the next generation with RTX cards. Saves another chunk of change.
This frees up more than $500 with no hits to actual performance. That's what I would do.

leecm

Caliper Novice
Oct 2, 2018
So I guess NVME drives are for people that
1. Want the best looking synthetic benchmarks?
2. Copy large amounts of data constantly and therefore will actually notice the speed difference between NVMe and Sata?
3. Don't care about cost or thermals?

The reason I ask is that I have a $50 voucher for Samsung.com, and they have the 1tb 970 EVO for $230 and the 860 EVO for $150 with unidays discount. The prices may drop even lower around Thanksgiving, but I'm just trying to figure out if the price difference is worth it. I guess for my use case it's not, especially if NVMe drives have heat issues.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
2. Copy large amounts of data constantly and therefore will actually notice the speed difference between NVMe and Sata?

The reason I ask is that I have a $50 voucher for Samsung.com, and they have the 1tb 970 EVO for $230 and the 860 EVO for $150 with unidays discount. The prices may drop even lower around Thanksgiving, but I'm just trying to figure out if the price difference is worth it. I guess for my use case it's not, especially if NVMe drives have heat issues.
They actually need to be warm to function properly, or at least the storage chips do. It's the controller that gets hot but provided there's at least some airflow you'd be fine. You might not notice the speed at first but going back to something slower can be a little annoying I hear.

Plus as far as I understand Samsung has decent warranty support so it's a safe option if the worst happens. Just my 2c.

Reactions: edrenmarc and leecm

SeeFiFo

Average Stuffer
May 14, 2017

That (except perhaps the thermals since it isn't really such a big issue) sums it upp pretty well, yes. Two further reasons: no cables and no additional case space needed.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I was foaming at the mouth when they released the M.2 spec with PCIe support. Because storage is often the bottleneck in most consumer scenarios and we all saw what a SATA SSD does to computers from the Core 2 Duo and beyond. NVMe PCIe SSDs move the bottleneck even further, as well as Optane.

tl;dr
I'd rather have a slower CPU than a slower storage device.

readeh

Trash Compacter
Oct 25, 2018
I was foaming at the mouth when they released the M.2 spec with PCIe support. Because storage is often the bottleneck in most consumer scenarios and we all saw what a SATA SSD does to computers from the Core 2 Duo and beyond. NVMe PCIe SSDs move the bottleneck even further, as well as Optane.
Just installed my Optane 900P M.2 drive today and it's faaaast. It does get pretty hot tho, but I guess that's why it has a heatsink on it.

Reactions: Phuncz

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017

tl;dr
I'd rather have a slower CPU than a slower storage device.

For my needs, the SSD was an unbelievable jump, from spinning disks. From Sata ssd to nvme ssd, not as noticable with what I use them for. Really its the m.2 form factor that had me excited and still does. I just wish we could get higher capacities and cheaper than the market has now.

nap

Minimal Tinkerer
Nov 11, 2018
Hey! :)

I'm very excited to buy the ghost s1 but the 'problem' is that this my first sff pc I build. So I would be happy if you can give me some feedback on my build:

Specs:
Louqe Ghost S1
ASUS ROG Strix X370-I Gaming
AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 6x 3.40GHz, boxed
Noctua NH-L9x65
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Gaming 8G
Corsair Vengeance LPX black DIMM kit 16GB, DDR4-3200, CL16-18-18-36
Corsair SF600 80PLUS Platinum 600W
Crucial MX500 500GB, M.2 (CT500MX500SSD4)
Seagate BarraCuda Compute 2TB, 2.5", SATA 6Gb/s (ST2000LM015)

Purposes: I want to build an allrounder pc. Games (WQHD), software development and video editing are the main use cases. I want a portable powerhorse which is not too loud (airplane loud). I want to have to option to overlock in the future and because of that I chose the Louqe case because of the modularity. I don't know if the motherboard fitts well in this build.

I'm excited to hear the feedback and thoughts of you pros :)

Beardedswede

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2018
Hey! :)

I'm very excited to buy the ghost s1 but the 'problem' is that this my first sff pc I build. So I would be happy if you can give me some feedback on my build:

Specs:
Louqe Ghost S1
ASUS ROG Strix X370-I Gaming
AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 6x 3.40GHz, boxed
Noctua NH-L9x65
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Gaming 8G
Corsair Vengeance LPX black DIMM kit 16GB, DDR4-3200, CL16-18-18-36
Corsair SF600 80PLUS Platinum 600W
Crucial MX500 500GB, M.2 (CT500MX500SSD4)
Seagate BarraCuda Compute 2TB, 2.5", SATA 6Gb/s (ST2000LM015)

Purposes: I want to build an allrounder pc. Games (WQHD), software development and video editing are the main use cases. I want a portable powerhorse which is not too loud (airplane loud). I want to have to option to overlock in the future and because of that I chose the Louqe case because of the modularity. I don't know if the motherboard fitts well in this build.

I'm excited to hear the feedback and thoughts of you pros :)
All m-itx should be fine. It's a high end motherboard though but it can be nice to have. But not needed.
Looks really good. Good value. Personally I would save the m.2 slot for a nvme drive but a sata is fine. I get you use that to have room for the hard drive. It might be a squeeze though. Or no fan under the psu. Otherwise I would come consider a tophst for some more airflow.

I would change the CPU cooler to the noctuas NH-L12 ( not L12s) if you can get that one in your area .