Concept Conduit Z: 10.2L Configurable ITX Chassis

Tyzam1

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 21, 2020
Conduit Z: 10.2L Configurable ITX Chassis
Custom water-cooled chassis with hardline tubing and custom distribution plates.
STATUS: Design complete & ready to order. Troubleshooting electrical compatibility. High 3080 transient load causes OCP to trip on 7660b.

Specs & Overview:
Currently the Conduit Z is under final design review. Small changes/additions are being made and should hopefully be completed in roughly two weeks. Quotes and materials are being discussed with Xometry/Fab shop.
Dimensions:
  • 214mm height (232mm w/ feet)
  • 312mm depth (323mm w/ GPU bracket tabs)
  • 153mm width (154mm w/ power button)
I/O:
  • 2x USB 3.0
  • 1x Mic Input
  • 1x Two pole HD Audio
  • 1x USB Type C
Goals:
  • 10L or less
  • Full size components
  • Custom water cooled (hardline)
  • Visually pleasing
  • Adequate compatibility
Methods:
  • Leverage Mechanical Engineering degree
    • Heat Transfer
    • SolidWorks CAD
    • Electrical Circuits
  • Utilize quick turn-around online services
    • Xometry
    • Protolabs
Tools:
  • SolidWorks CAD 2018
  • 3D printer
Build the smallest computer case that has enough cooling to contain high end components as well as deal with ~600 watts of heat from said components. The build is 10.2 liters volume and is limited by the wattage of the Flex ATX power supply contained in the case. Maximum wattage in the Flex ATX form factor is 600W and comes from the Enhance 7660b. Any Flex ATX power supply should fit, however. The exterior panels of the case are part of the water cooling loop. The visible sides (front, top, and side panel) all contain water blocks or distribution blocks filled with coolant from the loop. This frees up internal space to allow more airflow through the squished airflow paths that come with the form factor. Almost half of the typical tubing volume has been instead relocated into the external case. While water cooling is recommended, and the intended use of this case, there are options for air cooling by way of optional bracketry and side panels (these options will come after the original configuration of the case is prototyped). The case supports 286mm length graphics cards in the original configuration with the 3080FE variant specifically fitting flush.​

Compatibility:
GPU & Cooler
  1. 286mm Conduit Z (3080FE 285mm)
  2. 310mm no front distro
  3. 310mm air cooled; 2.75slot (no side rad)
  4. AIO sizes
    1. 120mm AIO (CPU 120mm/140mm AIO or air cooled)
    2. 140mm AIO (CPU 120mm/140mm AIO or air cooled )
    3. 240mm AIO (CPU air cooled)
CPU Cooler
  1. 48mm Z Air
    1. Cryorig C7 (47mm)
  2. AIO sizes
    1. 120mm AIO (top mount GPU air cooled or 120mm/140mm AIO)
    2. 140mm AIO (top mount GPU air cooled or 120mm/140mm AIO)
    3. 240mm AIO (top mount GPU air cooled)
Radiator
  1. Side Mounted (35mm thick + 25mm fan)
    1. 2x Single 140mm (NOT Dual 140mm!!)
    2. Single 140mm & Single 120mm
    3. 2x Single 120mm
    4. Dual 120mm
  2. Bottom Mounted (35mm thick +15mm fan)
    1. Triple 80mm
    2. Dual 80mm
    3. 2x Single 80mm
Motherboard
  1. ITX
    1. X570i STRIX (Conduit Z. w/ mobo distro)
    2. More ITX motherboards needed
  2. DTX
Power Supply
  1. Flex ATX
    1. Enhance 7660b-Pro 600W
    2. More Flex power supplies needed
  2. SFX (Dual 120mm rad or air cooling only; no front distro)
Pump
  1. DDC (front distro)
    1. EK (no housing)
    2. AlphaCool (heatsink variant)
  2. D5 (bracket)
Planned: Designed Tested: Compatible Potentially compatible: Needs testing Not Planned Tested: Not Compatible
Configurations:
Naming Convention:

Conduit Configuration Guide (WIP):
ConfigurationFront Isometric Screenshot (renders later)Rear Isometric ScreenshotPhoto
Video
Notes
Conduit Z
-Default configuration
-Custom water cooling
-3080 FE w/ EK waterblock
-x570i STRIX
-Dual distro
-2x140mm rad
-2x80mm fans on bottom
Z Air
-Completely Air cooled
-<48mm CPU cooler
-2.75 Slot GPU
-Glass front/side
-Mesh top
-Bottom 120mm, 80mm
-Top 3x80mm
Z Aqua-Default w/ different components
-Custom water cooling
-Glass or distro side
-Front Distro
Z Aqua Max
-Z Aqua with maximum rad area
-Dual 120mm side
-Triple 80mm bottom
Z Windowed- Conduit Z with front and side windows
-Custom water cooling, AIO, or Hybrid
-Not recommended for CPU Air cooler
Z 214 AIO-Z Windowed with AIOs
-CPU & GPU have a 140mm AIO each
Z 212 AIO-Z Windowed with AIOs
-CPU & GPU have a 120mm AIO each
Z 1214 AIO-Z Windowed with AIOs
-CPU & GPU both have 120mm or 140mm AIO
Z G12 Hybrid
Z G14 Hybrid
Z C80 Hybrid

This table will be updated as more designs/tests are completed. I will update with renders once I get my new computer functional.​
Thermals:
CPU:
Clock/Voltage Get/SetReported PowerPackage/Max. Core/Min. Core/CoolantPackage/Max. Core/Min. Core/Coolant
5950x 8.2GHz/69V/70V9000W1000/100/10/6990/90/78/50
Prime95 (Small FFT) 15minGaming 2Hr

GPU:
Core Clock/Mem Clock/VoltageReported PowerCore/Memory/CoolantCore/Memory/Coolant
3080 2000MHz/4000MHz/1.0V9000W1000/100/6990/90/50
VRM/Chipset:
LLCReported PowerVRM/ChipsetVRM/Chipset
59000W1000/10090/90/78/50
Calculated Cooling Capacity:
I compared the surface area in the two 140mm radiators to gather their cooling capacity. They are 140mmx280mm = 39200mm2 total area. This is helpful to figure out how the CU1020V(the radiator in this test) compares to the Conduit's radiators. The Conduit's radiators are the same manufacturer, same specs, just different size. This compares to 120mmx360mm = 43200mm2 as 90.7% of the area. They should perform per area, the exact same.​
So according to that, the radiators have the ability to cool 374Watt x .907 = 339Watt.​
So now we need maximum peak load of all the components' TDP added together which is 150 CPU + 320 GPU + 15 pump = 485 System Watt. This is generally an overshoot because not 100% of energy goes into the loop. Assume that 90% of the energy is successfully dissipated to the loop as heat. So there is 485W x .90 = 436 Watts of heat.​
Compare that to the total wattage the radiators can dissipate 436/339 = 1.29. Assuming this 10 degree coolant can be scaled linearly, 10C x 1.29 = 12.9C This is the calculated loop temp at 1850RPM. If a lower fan speed is desired, and 15C coolant is acceptable, fans could run at 1850 x (12.9/15) = 1591. Seeing as this load would be full bore stock, overclocking can be had so long as both GPU and CPU aren't stressed to the max at the same time.​
Also, 140mm fans can spin slower to be more effective because they are larger. This can also potentially lower the RPM at max load. Further testing is required, of course.​
Power:
Overall(Predicted):
CPU:
Future power measurements using UPS and overclocking.​
GPU:
Future power measurements using UPS and undervolting.​

Price:
Chassis:

Estimated. Front/Mobo distro unquoted.
No bulk prices.
Tooling/Low Batch Incurrences:
  • $450 Sheet Metal Cutting and Bending
  • ??? Acrylic Cutting
Untracked Costs:
  • Design hours
  • Test fitting and verification
  • Paint hours
  • Test Assembly
  • Shipment
  • Warehousing
  • Tools to paint/tap/assembly

Future:
Gantt Chart:
The timeline of this first order is dictated by when I get the EK FE and Optimus AM4 Foundation blocks. I need to check my estimated dimensions before ordering. Optimus estimated three weeks from 11/18. The EK FE block is predicted for early December.
Closing Comments:
Forum:
I would like your feedback on this project! I need to know as much as I can about these things:​
  • Prototyping Phase
    • Is one enough?
    • Is Xometry the correct route?
  • Configurability
    • Too many options?
    • Which options are most sought after? Use this form or this SFF.net thread.
  • Price
    • Where can I improve costs? I was aiming for $200 for sale but definitely missed the mark.
Other Configurations:
I am focusing on the Conduit Z as it is my personal case I will be using. The first order I make will use these parts. During down times, such as waiting for the deliveries, I will continue to work on the other parts (for example glass panels). I will have to research more for manufacturing glass and I can't imagine it is cheap. Have a look at this form to help get what you want.​
Group Buy:
I would like to place an order through Xometry once I feel the build is complete to test fit everything I have and make any appropriate changes. If anyone is interested in having a prototype case like this is more than welcome to get involved. Just be advised this is my first ever fabricated project besides 3D printed objects. I plan on iterating this and producing a final revision once I get back the raw materials to see if it conceptually works. Beyond that, cost improvement would be the focus of the design for more orders/configurations.​
Build Log:
I have plenty of previous pictures and save-states for the case as well as research done in preparation of this case. I'm not sure if this should be combined with this post, or put in a different thread. If a build log is desired, what is the preferred way to go about this?​

Last edited:

Alloy Craft

Cable-Tie Ninja
Modultra
Oct 25, 2019
Probably want to focus on one variant. Too many different designs will overcomplicate things and drive up cost unnecessarily. If you want to save money, I would also recommend completing your 3d models 100%. You can find a lot of errors by just adding every screw and component to the model. And lastly, you should probably invest in a 3d printer to prototype yourself before you have anybody make parts for you.

Reactions: Tyzam1

Tyzam1

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 21, 2020
Any updates regarding this case? ^_^
I've gotten time recently to get really close to the design to send out to bend. Working on the last couple details like assembly holes.

I also am having issues with my 3080 and the 7660b and the transients that are present. I am trying to see if it is specific to the power supply itself or the model. I'd like to verify this electrical works then I can order the case.

• Love
Reactions: SquareCubedBox

Tyzam1

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 21, 2020
I'm completely done with the design. Planning to get it bent, receive the parts, then measure for differences and adjust distro plates then send those out.
But like I said first I am doing some testing on this power supply to see if it's possible. Otherwise I am not confident the additional 12V components for watercooling won't exaggerate the problem I'm having.

• Love
Reactions: SquareCubedBox

Alloy Craft

Cable-Tie Ninja
Modultra
Oct 25, 2019
I just noticed that the way you are using the pump wont work. Fluid has to enter the pump through the center hole on the impeller and flow out at the perimeter.

Tyzam1

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 21, 2020
I just noticed that the way you are using the pump wont work. Fluid has to enter the pump through the center hole on the impeller and flow out at the perimeter.
Yea this has been fixed in the most recent design. Let me upload some new pictures :)
Edit:

Last edited: