SFF.Network The first Intel Z390 board has been revealed, by ASRock

Dubbed the ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac, ASRock is the first to officially launch an mITX Z390 board, Intel’s latest chipset supporting the 9th Gen Intel Core processors that are right around the corner.

The stand-out features are the Thunderbolt 3 enabled USB Type-C connector, as well as the four USB 3.1 Gen2 ports (10Gb/s per port) at the rear, with an additional two USB 3.1 Gen1 (5Gb/s per port) at the rear as well, along with two more via the internal header for the case front panel. The M.2 heatsink stands out as well, with a heatpipe connecting it to the beefy VRM heatsink that covers the rear I/O ports.

Read more here.

Reactions: Ionrent

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
I'm curious ti know which thunderbolt controller is used! I hope Titan Ridge full speed! Right now the Z370 has only half of the bandwidth available. Let's see!

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
I emailed AsRock about Thunderbolt 3 lane usage:

:(

Bah, I still need to understand why! I will stick with my Fatal1ty, then!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Probably because if they went with 4 lanes, allowing display daisy chaining if I'm understanding correctly, they would have needed to either drop the on-board DisplayPort or HDMI, or needed to incorporate logic that would disable one or the other, considering the Intel iGPU doesn't support 4 displays. It might also have been a PCIe lane budget issue, PCIe switches are expensive chips it seems.

LeDelmo

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 6, 2018
Still disappointing the Thunderbolt 3 port its not 4 lanes.

Not really any good motherboards that can run eGPU's. Which I thought would be something very useful for mini itx builds. I know its a option I would like to have for my own build. But, it doesn't look like a viable option atm.

Maybe in a few years when they come up with a faster connection for them.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
It has an actual heatsink with some surface area that isn't complete modern art! Who's happy here? Because I know I am!

ckaym

Caliper Novice
Oct 14, 2018
Looks perfect!
Any chance it will support 64GB of G.Skill's Trident new double-capacity ddr4 ram? (is that specific to Asus+G.Skill?)

mUGGIt

Case Bender
Apr 16, 2019
Hi
Apologies for bumping an old thread, but I'm considering this board for a new build and wondered how the triple monitor setup works?

Last edited: