SFF Network The first Intel Z390 board has been revealed, by ASRock

Discussion in 'News' started by Phuncz, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Phuncz

Phuncz Lord of the Boards
    Thread Starter Moderator Gold Supporter SFF Purist

Read more here.

ceski likes this.
  2. TheOfficialCzex

TheOfficialCzex Caliper Novice

Relevant:

br3nd0, el01 and manolo like this.
  3. Necere

Necere King of Cable Management
    NCASE Spatial Philanthropist

And still no front panel Gen 2 header :\

RockZors and SashaLag like this.
  4. manolo

manolo Caliper Novice

Yes, I was waiting for this mobo, it have all I want: ITX, Thunderbolt and M:2 at the rear. ;-)

5. Windfall

Windfall King of Cable Management

Oh my.... That's pretty!

6. LeDelmo

LeDelmo Average Stuffer

This is hands down the nicest itx motherboard I have seen.

Finally, itx done right.

br3nd0 and masteraleph like this.
  7. miptzi

miptzi Trash Compacter

Great board indeed....

8. rfarmer

rfarmer King of Cable Management
    Silver Supporter

That board is sexy AF, love the big VRM heatsink.

el01 likes this.
  9. el01

el01 King of Cable Management

OPA! THUNDERRBOLT!

10. mcwobby

mcwobby Chassis Packer
    Bronze Supporter

Was awaiting this board specifically as a successor to its Z370 counterpart as I need thunderbolt.

Unfortunately the Z390 chipset still seems limited to 32GB RAM by default.

11. brt02

brt02 SFF Lingo Aficionado

I might be wrong but i thought the CPU determines max RAM, not the chipset. Intel ARK shows the 8700K as supporting 64GB.

The issue if you want 64GB in an ITX board seems more to do with the fact you can't buy 32GB sticks....

12. mcwobby

mcwobby Chassis Packer
    Bronze Supporter

I’ve been out of the PC game for a long time, so you may very well be right.
    You can buy 32GB sticks - I have plenty - and Asus does have “DC” double capacity memory support coming out for their Z390 boards.

My understanding is that there is some chipset limitation that prevents me just slapping in a 32GB stick (a standard one, not an ECC one) it but you could be right that the listed limitation is just because of lack of availability or validation of these DIMMs. I will attempt it.

Halfdan likes this.
  13. Halfdan

Halfdan Average Stuffer

@mcwobby Please let us know if this works if you attempt it.

This board has pretty much everything I want. If price isn't too crazy, it might be my next board for a future Ncase build.

14. CC Ricers

CC Ricers SFF Guru
    Silver Supporter

Looks slick to me. Kind of tempting to stick to a favorite board here since I still want to go AMD. Also, someone was concerned that the top m.2 SSD and VRMs share the same heatsinks via heat pipe. Are these concerns valid?

15. Reldey

Reldey Airflow Optimizer
    Silver Supporter

Wonder how many lanes the TB3 port has...

16. chx

chx Airflow Optimizer
    Silver Supporter

x2 vs x4 still doesn't matter but what does is if it's the x2 version the there's only one DisplayPort in there which means you can't run the LG Ultrafine 5K. But I can't imagine them skimping on it on a high end desktop motherboard. However, if it does have two DP lanes then there's some funky thing going on because the Intel IGP can only drive three monitors and you have four outputs. Can be like the ThinkPad T25 here where plugging in a monitor into the dock cuts off the laptop HDMI output immediately even if there are available outputs yet.

As for limitations, there aren't any. It's just Ark and testing. Many laptops say they support 32GB only but Campuspoint tested the ThinkPad T480 with the new 32GB sticks and it was fine with 64GB.

17. Phuncz

The link to the ASRock's product page is offline now but it dictated there were 3 display outputs capable of 4K 60Hz, the HDMI 2.0, the DisplayPort 1.2 and the Thunderbolt 3 port.

18. ceski

ceski Deleted account per user request.

#18 ceski, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    NinoPecorino and Phuncz like this.
  19. Phuncz

Thanks !

The manual also states what I already mentioned:

Three graphics output options: HDMI, DisplayPort 1.2 and Intel® Thunderbolt 3
    Supports Triple Monitor
    • Supports HDMI 2.0 with max. resolution up to 4K x 2K (4096x2160) @ 60Hz
    • Supports DisplayPort 1.2 with max. resolution up to 4K x 2K (4096x2304) @ 60Hz
    • Supports Intel® Thunderbolt 3 with max. resolution up to 4K x 2K (4096x2304) @ 60Hz
    • Supports Auto Lip Sync, Deep Color (12bpc), xvYCC and HBR (High Bit Rate Audio) with HDMI 2.0 Port (Compliant HDMI 2.0 monitor is required)
    • Supports HDR (High Dynamic Range) with HDMI 2.0
    • Supports HDCP with HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort 1.2 and Intel® Thunderbolt 3
    • Supports 4K Ultra HD (UHD) playback with HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort 1.2 and Intel® Thunderbolt 3

20. chx

chx Airflow Optimizer
    Silver Supporter