ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX + Noctua NH-L12S?

PBJ

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 6, 2019
Hello everyone,

Has anyone tested the ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX with the Noctua-L12S with the fan on the bottom? The tall heatsink on the board has me a bit worried and was wondering if the cooler fits in any of the orientations.

Thanks!

PBJ

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 6, 2019
you should check the noctua's site. they have a wide compatibility chart there...

Thanks, I appreciate your quick answer.

I did check compatibility on Noctua’s site and it says it is, but I read one person stating otherwise. I do trust Noctua over one reviewer on a shopping site but just wanted to double check.

DeToxin

Efficiency Noob
Apr 4, 2019
Thanks, I appreciate your quick answer.

I did check compatibility on Noctua’s site and it says it is, but I read one person stating otherwise. I do trust Noctua over one reviewer on a shopping site but just wanted to double check.
Did you find an answer for this? I'm looking myself, but haven't been able to find anything trustworthy.. some people say it will fit with a 12mm thick scythe fan instead of the 15mm Noctua one, but I haven't seen photos

marvel.marv

Caliper Novice
Apr 24, 2018

Donut

Trash Compacter
Mar 15, 2019
Isn't it a incompatibility with the case, specifically heatsink vs PSU? The board seems to easilly clear the cooler though.
A little bit of a thread excavation cause I'm considering this combo too for i7-9700k.
Ah yes, you're probably right. It seems that the L12S can be installed, but the I/O shroud pushes the cooler upward slightly. That may not be a problem if you've got some mm to spare above the cooler.

step83

Average Stuffer
Dec 23, 2018
Noctua states a nope for it, though I'm unsure if its due to the fan on the bottom or not

C3N0B1T3

Average Stuffer
Oct 15, 2018
I have that board and used the non S cooler in my Ghost. I swapped the 90mm fan for the slim 15mm Noctua. Had to use a file to take a few mm off the fan frame. This is to allow it to clear the RAM and the mobo heatsink. I can provid pictures if you like? Was easy to file.

Reactions: PBJ

PBJ

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 6, 2019
Sorry for not replying before and thanks to everyone for their answers! It seems I wasn’t getting alerts on this thread for some reason.

I can see now that on Noctua’s website it says it’s not compatible but when I started this thread it stated otherwise ?‍♂️

I got an NH-L9x65 instead but I’m eyeing the Big Shuriken 3 if I ever need better thermals.

PBJ

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 6, 2019
I have that board and used the non S cooler in my Ghost. I swapped the 90mm fan for the slim 15mm Noctua. Had to use a file to take a few mm off the fan frame. This is to allow it to clear the RAM and the mobo heatsink. I can provid pictures if you like? Was easy to file.
I would like to see the pictures if you can. Might be an alternative down the road. Thanks!

madchillunited

Efficiency Noob
Sep 4, 2019
Am looking to pair the NH L12s with the Z390 phantom itx board , are there ways to achieve this build without removing the heat sink?

C3N0B1T3

Average Stuffer
Oct 15, 2018
Am looking to pair the NH L12s with the Z390 phantom itx board , are there ways to achieve this build without removing the heat sink?
Yes, please see my post. You can use the board with the heat sink but you need LP RAM and to file the fan housing.

madchillunited

Efficiency Noob
Sep 4, 2019
Yes, please see my post. You can use the board with the heat sink but you need LP RAM and to file the fan housing.

Hey there would like to just confirm this would apply to the L12S as well? (impossible to find the L12 where I'm located)I have the LPX which is 31mm tall. THANKS!

C3N0B1T3

Average Stuffer
Oct 15, 2018
Hey there would like to just confirm this would apply to the L12S as well? (impossible to find the L12 where I'm located)I have the LPX which is 31mm tall. THANKS!
I don’t know for certain as I do not have this cooler myself. However on the Ghost Slack channel a lot of people had done this same mod to theirs. The S version can be squashed down to the same dimensions as the non S, and I’ve seen people fit them in the Ghost, so you’ll be alright. If you are not putting it in a Ghost then you don’t need to squash it and therefore will have more clearance than the non S version.

Reactions: madchillunited