SFF.Network The first Intel Z390 board has been revealed, by ASRock

Dubbed the ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac, ASRock is the first to officially launch an mITX Z390 board, Intel’s latest chipset supporting the 9th Gen Intel Core processors that are right around the corner.

The stand-out features are the Thunderbolt 3 enabled USB Type-C connector, as well as the four USB 3.1 Gen2 ports (10Gb/s per port) at the rear, with an additional two USB 3.1 Gen1 (5Gb/s per port) at the rear as well, along with two more via the internal header for the case front panel. The M.2 heatsink stands out as well, with a heatpipe connecting it to the beefy VRM heatsink that covers the rear I/O ports.

Read more here.

Reactions: Ionrent

Veryaton

Average Stuffer
Feb 28, 2017
Yes, I was waiting for this mobo, it have all I want: ITX, Thunderbolt and M:2 at the rear. ;-)

mcwobby

Chassis Packer
Sep 23, 2018
Was awaiting this board specifically as a successor to its Z370 counterpart as I need thunderbolt.

Unfortunately the Z390 chipset still seems limited to 32GB RAM by default.

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
Was awaiting this board specifically as a successor to its Z370 counterpart as I need thunderbolt.

Unfortunately the Z390 chipset still seems limited to 32GB RAM by default.

I might be wrong but i thought the CPU determines max RAM, not the chipset. Intel ARK shows the 8700K as supporting 64GB.

The issue if you want 64GB in an ITX board seems more to do with the fact you can't buy 32GB sticks....

mcwobby

Chassis Packer
Sep 23, 2018
I might be wrong but i thought the CPU determines max RAM, not the chipset. Intel ARK shows the 8700K as supporting 64GB.

The issue if you want 64GB in an ITX board seems more to do with the fact you can't buy 32GB sticks....

I’ve been out of the PC game for a long time, so you may very well be right.
You can buy 32GB sticks - I have plenty - and Asus does have “DC” double capacity memory support coming out for their Z390 boards.

My understanding is that there is some chipset limitation that prevents me just slapping in a 32GB stick (a standard one, not an ECC one) it but you could be right that the listed limitation is just because of lack of availability or validation of these DIMMs. I will attempt it.

Reactions: Halfdan

Halfdan

Average Stuffer
Sep 5, 2015
@mcwobby Please let us know if this works if you attempt it.

This board has pretty much everything I want. If price isn't too crazy, it might be my next board for a future Ncase build.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Looks slick to me. Kind of tempting to stick to a favorite board here since I still want to go AMD. Also, someone was concerned that the top m.2 SSD and VRMs share the same heatsinks via heat pipe. Are these concerns valid?

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
x2 vs x4 still doesn't matter but what does is if it's the x2 version the there's only one DisplayPort in there which means you can't run the LG Ultrafine 5K. But I can't imagine them skimping on it on a high end desktop motherboard. However, if it does have two DP lanes then there's some funky thing going on because the Intel IGP can only drive three monitors and you have four outputs. Can be like the ThinkPad T25 here where plugging in a monitor into the dock cuts off the laptop HDMI output immediately even if there are available outputs yet.

As for limitations, there aren't any. It's just Ark and testing. Many laptops say they support 32GB only but Campuspoint tested the ThinkPad T480 with the new 32GB sticks and it was fine with 64GB.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The link to the ASRock's product page is offline now but it dictated there were 3 display outputs capable of 4K 60Hz, the HDMI 2.0, the DisplayPort 1.2 and the Thunderbolt 3 port.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Thanks !

The manual also states what I already mentioned:

Three graphics output options: HDMI, DisplayPort 1.2 and Intel® Thunderbolt 3
Supports Triple Monitor
• Supports HDMI 2.0 with max. resolution up to 4K x 2K (4096x2160) @ 60Hz
• Supports DisplayPort 1.2 with max. resolution up to 4K x 2K (4096x2304) @ 60Hz
• Supports Intel® Thunderbolt 3 with max. resolution up to 4K x 2K (4096x2304) @ 60Hz
• Supports Auto Lip Sync, Deep Color (12bpc), xvYCC and HBR (High Bit Rate Audio) with HDMI 2.0 Port (Compliant HDMI 2.0 monitor is required)
• Supports HDR (High Dynamic Range) with HDMI 2.0
• Supports HDCP with HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort 1.2 and Intel® Thunderbolt 3
• Supports 4K Ultra HD (UHD) playback with HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort 1.2 and Intel® Thunderbolt 3