The Breadbox (~2.3L of goodness)

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
Here have some minor picture updates:

The top picture is the most recent and correct, the bottom is just for internal layout.

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
Ok I have a really dumb idea.
Since it might take a while still to get the case printed (it'll come eventually, don't worry), I am tempted to learn a little bit about PSUs... And design my own, internal one for the case. I know how to get 20V DC from 230V AC with filtering, don't worry about that, but I've been recommended to use MOSFETs instead of transistors (and a 7812 for a reference voltage) to get 12V. However, I have no clue how to do that, so are there any recommendations?

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
You could find a power supply that does what you want that you can dissect and reverse engineer :)
I suppose I could :p But in order for this PSU to suit my build properly, I'm either going to have to have it have a 12V and 19V rail (19V for the motherboard, 12V for the graphics card), or just use a boost converter on the 12V rail (though that entails either a second 12V rail or a hilariously powerful single 12V rail). And I have very limited space.

Duality92

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 12, 2018
Well if you have a strong power brick that's outputting 19V, you could divide it so that it goes one way to the motherboard and the other to the internal PSU for the GPU?

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
Well if you have a strong power brick that's outputting 19V, you could divide it so that it goes one way to the motherboard and the other to the internal PSU for the GPU?
Ah, you see, this PSU should internalise all power generating components. I'm aiming to have absolutely no power bricks.

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Perhaps a Meanwell PSU would be more inline with your goals?

Regardless, be careful and up-rate your components. :) don't want anything to fail or shock you.

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
Perhaps a Meanwell PSU would be more inline with your goals?

Regardless, be careful and up-rate your components. :) don't want anything to fail or shock you.
The meanwell PSUs are too big :p And yeah, I’m most likely going to overspec each rail in order to keep safe like that.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
Right, so, an update (finally lol).

I have decided to make a few changes to the design (once again), most notably now modelling to include an internal PSU. This is mostly for the fact that, well, power bricks are huge and I now consider them to add to the volume. Now, I'll be using the HDPLEX 400W AC-DC and DC-DC combo, and some sort of high-amp boost converter to get the 19V to the motherboard. The new design will be bigger, of course, but I don't see the total volume going over 4 liters. Now, I'm wondering if I should still print (I know, I know, this long and no print!?) the old design to sit next to the new one :p

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
Right, so, list of things to get:
A graphics card that fits
The 400W AC-DC and DC-DC combo thing
A new CPU cooler

That seems to be about it. You would've thought that I'd have had these things already, but no :p