The 6L-Meanwell PSU build.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
SPECS:
PSU Type: Meanwell 300W 12V + PICO; has clearance for HD-Plex 300W AC-DC + Plugin (PICO)
MOBO: Mini-ITX
GPU: ITX Specs, Reference height + PEG connectors, Max 175mm in length
CPU Cooler Clearance: 110mm height, must not extend past 140mm from rear of mobo
Case Fan: 120mm above CPU
Drive: 2x 2.5 SSD or 7mm HDD
Can it fit a CLC?: Yes.
Materials: 3d printed part, laser cut 3mm acrylic
Dimensions: 144mm (w) x 192mm (d) x 223mm (h) (6.2L)

Current Status: Acquiring parts.

Building with: 120mm Phanteks Fan
i5-6500, Gigabyte Z170n, 1060 3GB, 2x 2.5 SSD, 16GB

Next stage: Wiring PSU and power testing.

Thanks for lookin'!

Last edited:

ElinaNguyen

Trash Compacter
Aug 27, 2016
I recommend you to use 5mm acrylic instead of 3mm acrylic. 3mm acrylic will cracking and warping

Last edited:
Reactions: jØrd

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I recommend you to use 5mm acrylic instead of 3mm acrylic. 3mm acrylic will cracking and warping

5mm is unnecessary. 3mm acrylic for an ITX build is strong enough. 5mm would be more necessary for a larger case, like mATX sized.

Edit. I just put together an acrylic board + motherboard. Because the motherboard is parallel to the panel, the motherboard also adds strength to it. Bending the Acrylic panel would also be bending the PCB. A 750ti + ITX Mobo on top of an acrylic board, without any additional support, standing vertically causes no observable flex.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
This is SFF Forum, gotta gives us the dimensions :p

But it looks good so far, it's cool seeing the possibilities that high-quality 3D printing allows.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
This is SFF Forum, gotta gives us the dimensions :p

But it looks good so far, it's cool seeing the possibilities that high-quality 3D printing allows.

Oops. It's been corrected :D. 6.2L

If we had cheap metal frabicration... I'd rather have a nice a steel or aluminum case. For now this is what I can do.

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
As the LZ7 has shown us, acrylic cases with 3D printed parts can make very interesting cases. As ElinaNguyen said, be wary of 3mm acrylic (alone). The LZ7 uses a mix of 3mm and 5mm if I'm correct and the 5mm is considerably more sturdy and makes the case feel a lot more rigid. That and the custom designed corner pieces that make it come together structurally very well.

Keep us updated with your progress, I can't wait to see more !

Reactions: cmyk78

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
As the LZ7 has shown us, acrylic cases with 3D printed parts can make very interesting cases. As ElinaNguyen said, be wary of 3mm acrylic (alone). The LZ7 uses a mix of 3mm and 5mm if I'm correct and the 5mm is considerably more sturdy and makes the case feel a lot more rigid. That and the custom designed corner pieces that make it come together structurally very well.

Keep us updated with your progress, I can't wait to see more !

I'll keep that in mind. I know he uses the 5mm for other parts of it. I don't think strength would be of an issue. LZ7 uses a 3mm rear panel, and that holds the PSU, which I suspect is the heaviest part of the build and he has seen no problems.

I'm more worried about hotspots on the back of the motherboard that may cause warping. I'll have to see based on results and actual testing. If it causes issue I change the motherboad panel to 5mm.

I intend to design the case for ~200W or lower builds, and by staying with 3mm all-around, it is much easier for me to scale it up/down to for different specs/dimensions. I'm more interested in showing that a pure 12V is more than viable.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'll keep that in mind. I know he uses the 5mm for other parts of it. I don't think strength would be of an issue. LZ7 uses a 3mm rear panel, and that holds the PSU, which I suspect is the heaviest part of the build and he has seen no problems.
Correct, though @K888D has warned people to be careful about attaching the PSU and it seems to be one of the weaker parts of the case.

Reactions: cmyk78

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Here is the case:

Final Specs:
Dimension not including fasteners/feet: 146mm(w) x 192mm(d) x 233mm(h) =6.53L
ITX-Mobo
CPU Cooler clearance: Max 120mm, without side intake fan.
GPU: Max 175mm length, reference height, double slot.
GPU Cooling:120mm x 25mm fan + deshroud, or 120mm x 15mm + shroud
PSU: Meanwell EPP300/400 3x5
Storage: 2x 2.5"

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Almost forgot this build. Nice to see one using a Meanwell PSU and also finally completed.