Stalled Sparrow-MQ5 5.5L One-piece aluminum

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
Let's keep this thread on hold for now, we plan to only offer stock for sale from now on and I'll change this thread when it becomes available.

You have had a message on your website saying "expect to offer stock inventory and selling this month" for MQ4/MQ5/MQ6. Is this accurate? I believe you put that message there already in July, and now it is soon September.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
We are very sorry that all orders have been shipped.
We are very sorry because we always have production problems and keep having accidents and a lot of delays for all of you.
Let's keep this thread on hold for now, we plan to only offer stock for sale from now on and I'll change this thread when it becomes available.

Hey welcome back, happy to see you here again.

I understand your change of plan to only offer stocked cases for sale.

We are neutral on how you offer your items (be it group buy, pre-order, or stock based, etc). That said, this needs to be stated clearly on your thread's front page. Please update it when you're ready / when it becomes available.

Do settle existing orders and refunds if any.

Edit: oh and especially important whenever you have existing orders or pending refunds: please do communicate in the forum once in a while. The SFF community is usually loyal & patient bunch but we do need regular communication.

Last edited:

crxss

Caliper Novice
Sep 22, 2022
We are very sorry that all orders have been shipped.
We are very sorry because we always have production problems and keep having accidents and a lot of delays for all of you.
Thanks for the update, COOJ! Given all these cancellations, when can we expect stock to be on sale? Missed the preorder window and not in any rush to receive one.

chingar0n

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Aug 30, 2023
Thanks for the update, COOJ! Given all these cancellations, when can we expect stock to be on sale? Missed the preorder window and not in any rush to receive one.

I'd be interested to know this as well. I'm keen on getting my hands on a black mq5. If you're only selling stock moving forward, can we get a waiting list or email sign up to know when they're in stock?

chingar0n

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Aug 30, 2023

I'd be interested to know this too. I'm keen on getting my hands on a black mq5. If you're only selling stock, can we get a waiting list or email sign up to be notified when stock becomes available to buy?

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
Hi i received my case. The machining is beautiful. It was worth the wait! Here is my build: https://reddit.com/r/sffpc/s/mBKMOsd3G9
Hey welcome back, happy to see you here again.

I understand your change of plan to only offer stocked cases for sale.

We are neutral on how you offer your items (be it group buy, pre-order, or stock based, etc). That said, this needs to be stated clearly on your thread's front page. Please update it when you're ready / when it becomes available.

Do settle existing orders and refunds if any.

Edit: oh and especially important whenever you have existing orders or pending refunds: please do communicate in the forum once in a while. The SFF community is usually loyal & patient bunch but we do need regular communication.
All orders are processed.

Reactions: ignsvn

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
I think there will be a spot sale this month, but the exact timing is uncertain.

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
I'd be interested to know this too. I'm keen on getting my hands on a black mq5. If you're only selling stock, can we get a waiting list or email sign up to be notified when stock becomes available to buy?

aneker

Caliper Novice
Feb 9, 2020
I wanted to build a PC based on the MQ4 box, because I don't need a dedicated graphics card, but I'm worried about the noise produced by the FLEX power supply fans.

Any advice based on your experience?

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
I wanted to build a PC based on the MQ4 box, because I don't need a dedicated graphics card, but I'm worried about the noise produced by the FLEX power supply fans.

Any advice based on your experience?

Concern about noise from Flex power supplies is generally justified as most 40mm fans at speed sound terrible.
If you're running an Intel CPU with integrated graphics or an AMD APU, you should be fine.
I have tested a cheap FSP 270W Flex with integrated graphics only and it is quiet and useable. The same board and PSU with a GTX 1050Ti (75W card) added was uncomfortable to use. Many people suggest doing a fan deal to Noctua, but this may be dodgy as a quiet Noctua may not provide sufficient airflow for the PSU to stay cool.

Pick your Flex PSU carefully, maybe aim for double the actual load in use.

Last edited:

aneker

Caliper Novice
Feb 9, 2020
Thanks.
Replacing the standard fan of a Silverstone FX600w with a Noctua, for builds without a graphics card, does not seem to reduce noise that much according to some tests circulating on the Internet.

Also, some buyers of the ST FX600w who only use the integrated graphics report that the power supply fan does not start! I don't know how this is possible because it seems to me that the fan only has two connection wires.

I wonder if it wouldn't be worth forgetting the FX format and putting in an HDPLEX 500W GaN since the value is practically the same as a Silverstone FX600w. However, I also see a fan on the HD plex and the website does not mention the noise in dB.

The problem is that this does not allow for clean assembly because the format is not standard and once again it would be necessary to invent a fixing method...

It would be interesting if Cooj could develop some accessory, even if it were sold separately and by option, to fix this type of sources on the market.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
I forgot to mention the HDPlex GAN units, and would be surprised if you needed the 500W version.
I don't think anything running integrated graphics only from either platform would need more than 250W.
I agree that attachment is not so straightforward, but a 3D printed or metal 'L' plate putting the AC input socket where it would be on a Flex PSU, and countersunk bolt holes to secure the HDPlex unit should work.
The length of the 250 HD Plex GAN plus power socket may be a problem as that will be a lot longer than a Flex PSU, which is typically 150 mm.

aneker

Caliper Novice
Feb 9, 2020
Well, it probably won't be necessary. I think someone here used the 250w HDplex and it seems to fit perfectly in the case.

In fact, many mini ITX enthusiasts prefer passive power supplies because of the noise.

Some photos of what I found:

Last edited:
Reactions: Arboreal

aneker

Caliper Novice
Feb 9, 2020
Well, I already understand that a FLEX source is a problem in terms of noise regardless of the brand of the source or its power.

The Silverstone 600w, second in reviews, seems to not trigger the fan until consumption of 200w/300w... I don't know if it's entirely true!

Silverstone also has another problem, which is that it is not modular and forces the user to have to keep all the cables inside the case, including cables for FLOPPY and Peripheral connectors, which serve absolutely no purpose other than being even more annoying. Anyway, do not understand!

For me, Flex fonts are not yet developed enough to use them.

The problem is that we buy cases for this price and then still have to invent something to fix a power supply!