Log Cooj sparrow mq5 with many things that ultimately didn't work out

cyrix

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 13, 2022
After many months of work, unfortunately I must abandon my project of packing everything I could into a Cooj sparrow mq5. The power supply makes a ridiculous amount of coil whine when the GPU is active and I cannot solve it. Petricor, I don't know if yours makes anywhere near the racket I'm getting with mine(and I have tested 2 and they both behaved the same) but it is far too loud for me to tolerate. It is the same in both volume and tone as having a shaver sitting on the desk next to it when playing a game at 60fps. So for the moment here are some pictures from the technically complete but intolerably loud build.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
After many months of work, unfortunately I must abandon my project of packing everything I could into a Cooj sparrow mq5. The power supply makes a ridiculous amount of coil whine when the GPU is active and I cannot solve it. Petricor, I don't know if yours makes anywhere near the racket I'm getting with mine(and I have tested 2 and they both behaved the same) but it is far too loud for me to tolerate. It is the same in both volume and tone as having a shaver sitting on the desk next to it when playing a game at 60fps. So for the moment here are some pictures from the technically complete but intolerably loud build.

build pictures

Damn this is actually an awesome build. You made your own radiator?

I hope you don't mind me "fixing" the imgur link so the images can be embedded properly.

Edit: perhaps try HDPLex PSU?

cyrix

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 13, 2022
Damn this is actually an awesome build. You made your own radiator?

I hope you don't mind me "fixing" the imgur link so the images can be embedded properly.

Edit: perhaps try HDPLex PSU
No I don't mind, thanks.

Unfortunately the HDplex 500 is both too big mechanically and too small electrically. It is about an inch longer than the modified pws 804p and is taller than the internal height by some amount. The 250 would fit but they don't provide anywhere near the power needed.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
No I don't mind, thanks.

Unfortunately the HDplex 500 is both too big mechanically and too small electrically. It is about an inch longer than the modified pws 804p and is taller than the internal height by some amount. The 250 would fit but they don't provide anywhere near the power needed.

Hmm I see. What about Meanwell PSUs?

cyrix

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 13, 2022
I had a fairly quick look around at Meanwell's stuff and didn't see anything that would be close to the kind of size that I need. For reference, the cut down pws 804p that I used is 54 x 40 x 180mm including the protrusion for the gold finger connector on the end. Both Petricor and myself came to the conclusion that there wasn't another commercially available psu out there that would fit into the spaces we were looking for. At some point I was thinking of trying to design one myself however for this go around at least, that setup is dead.

Reactions: thelaughingman

80ti

Cable Smoosher
Oct 16, 2022
what a magnificent work it is,you almost done all the stuff i fancy
hope some suggestions for power solution would help
1,you may just have broken magnetic core in the psu which become loudly noisy under heavy load ;
2,for current 40 series gpus have very large current spike,like 1000A/ns,which reflects to 12V input rail could be up to 100A/us,not all the old redundant server psu could afford this spike,so you could try add an low pass LC filter circuit between the psu and pcie plug to isolate the spike current;
3,just change to a more modern psu ,like dell L1100e-s2 from Poweredge R750,its kernal pcb size is about 16cm L x 5.5cm W 3.6cm H. take a 1100watts titanum psu let it work as 800watts it should need less air flow to cool.

Last edited:

cyrix

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 13, 2022
I did attempt to trace out what component in particular was making the noise in the previous psu and found that it was a combination of the main transformer and a choke on the output. I attempted to replace the choke with one with a design that I thought would make less noise and increased the output capacitance. The result of both of those caused the psu to not work correctly. I am very much interested in this dell psu you mentioned though so I will look into it. I also had the idea that I might attempt to design my own psu eventually. For the time being the whole thing has been dismantled and most of the parts reassembled into a Fractal Terra. I've also changed the motherboard to a Gigabyte Aorus Ultra so if it were to be reassembled, I'm going to have to redesign the cpu cooling portion. Which is fine, I was never happy with the way that one sat or functioned; I'm thinking of trying my hand at designing a mono block cooler to house the pump, cpu cooling, m.2 cooling and vrm cooling. For the moment, I intend on using my computer in its Terra form since I've had these components almost all year and gotten little use from them. But I would like to revisit this concept eventually. Thanks for the recommendation though, I'll definitely look into it.

cyrix

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 13, 2022
I had a look at the dell supply and it seems promising however, there is little data about it out there. I also found that there is a 1400 watt variant that is generally cheaper on eBay. From the little I could find out about it, it is slightly less efficient, at least according to dell however it is only a 1-2% swing.

80ti

Cable Smoosher
Oct 16, 2022
I had a look at the dell supply and it seems promising however, there is little data about it out there. I also found that there is a 1400 watt variant that is generally cheaper on eBay. From the little I could find out about it, it is slightly less efficient, at least according to dell however it is only a 1-2% swing.
after apply the ac input,link the red pin to ground for several ms to make psu startup,and green pin is ps-on blue pin is power-good,purple is 12Vsb,you can let the psu always on its no load power comsumption is as few as 3-4watts depend on model

Last edited:

cyrix

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 13, 2022
after apply the ac input,link the red pin to ground for several ms to make psu startup,and green pin is ps-on blue pin is power-good,purple is 12Vsb,you can let the psu always on its no load power comsumption is as few as 3-4watts depend on model

You wouldn't happen to have one of those on hand would you? If I were to use one, I would probably make a little pcb that plugs into the end like my last one. For that I would need to know what connectors fit onto that end. I wouldn't leave it on all the time; the last psu I made would pass the ps-on signal from the motherboard to the psu. I take it the red pin is similar to ps_kill and can be linked to ground permanently? Knowing the external dimensions of the casing would also be very helpful. Thanks for the pinout by the way.

80ti

Cable Smoosher
Oct 16, 2022
You wouldn't happen to have one of those on hand would you? If I were to use one, I would probably make a little pcb that plugs into the end like my last one. For that I would need to know what connectors fit onto that end. I wouldn't leave it on all the time; the last psu I made would pass the ps-on signal from the motherboard to the psu. I take it the red pin is similar to ps_kill and can be linked to ground permanently? Knowing the external dimensions of the casing would also be very helpful. Thanks for the pinout by the way.

actucally i happen to have several model of this psu at hand for i want to check which one is most suitable to re-housing it into a deep-narrow-flex psu and power my MQ6.

Last edited:

cyrix

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 13, 2022
I didn't know that these were 60mm wide. That's a bit of a problem, at least for me, since the super micro I was previously using was already too wide at 54.5mm wide. I might use this one though to see what else there is out there.

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
It is the same in both volume and tone as having a shaver sitting on the desk next to it when playing a game at 60fps. So for the moment here are some pictures from the technically complete but intolerably loud build.

Mine has some degree of coil whine, but definitely not the shaver level.

cyrix

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 13, 2022
Mine has some degree of coil whine, but definitely not the shaver level.
I am unsure why it was so loud however, as far as I can tell, it wasn't a one off since I've tried 2 power supplies and both were the same. Truth be told, every single part of this computer had terrible coil whine and was changed multiple times. Went through 3 Asus B650e-i before settling on a Gigabyte Aorus ultra, although the motherboards were cap whine rather than coil whine. Went through 2 4090's for the same problem before I ended up with one that was at least acceptable. Have also been through many power supplies too. First a Corsair ax850, then a hx1000i then 2 pws-804p's then finally a sf750 and all behaved the same. I've even suspected my house wiring however, I have tested it in every way I can think of and it checks out just fine; voltage and frequency check out fine and I can run far bigger loads on the circuits I have tested everything on without excessive voltage drop. At this point I'm willing to just call this thing cursed and, currently the parts are in a Fractal Terra and working more or less ok.

cyrix

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 13, 2022
There appears to be a new Supermicro psu out. Same size as the pws-804p-1r and similar name plate ratings. It is the pws-862a-1r. It gets an efficiency bump to titanium from platinum. Might look into using one if this thing gets revived.

Reactions: morj

cyrix

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 13, 2022
Well I have managed to get my hands on a pws-862a-1r. The pcb is about 10mm shorter than the 804. The input fuse and some of the emi capacitors are on a little pcb hanging off the power connector. It is also using at least one GaN fet.
This is a comparison between the 804 and 862. Ignore that the 804 is missing some parts; I tried to fix something with it. It didn't work.