Log Sliger SM550 - Compact & Quiet Gaming HTPC

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SM550+ : Moving to perfection : SX-800LTI (and riser update)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not today I will stop complaining about Corsair SF PSU, with their fake fanless mode (unable to sustain fanless as they always become warm, even with reasonable load), poor fan noise & control.
Thus I decided to move my SX-800LTI (SFX-L 130mm long, 800W, Titanium) from Cerberus-X to SM550+.

Like Asetek 645LT assembly it is mandatory to put grid on bottom fan (or move to 15mm thick fan).
Cable management is pretty ok as flat cable from Silverstone are "way" smoother than Corsair SF. I also appreciated that 24pins cable is split in 3, helping cable management.

What about results?
No parasite noise, fan stopping as soon as load is away (true fanless mode).
My SM550+ is now a complete beast : silent on idle, very quiet on gaming, a pure delight!

Small word about riser change.
For me, PCIe riser is riveted on a small piece of steel as you can see below.

However this piece of steel is easily replaced, as it fixed by 2 philips screws :

I hope @KSliger or @shadowfear could confirm me this point.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Good experiment will be to check if IS60 could handle heat from R9 3900X..:)
Let us know what you will do at the end..;)

Well it just so happens that I ordered an IS 60. SM550 is next up. Right now the only AM4 itx Board I have in hand is the Aorus B450i — so we can see how the 3600 on it now goes and for curiosity alone I’ll have to drop the 3900x in.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Well it just so happens that I ordered an IS 60. SM550 is next up. Right now the only AM4 itx Board I have in hand is the Aorus B450i — so we can see how the 3600 on it now goes and for curiosity alone I’ll have to drop the 3900x in.
Ahah big thanks to you..:)
Normally it should work fine at stock, as clock will be reduced with higher thermals..:)

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Installing the IS 60 today. It looks like it mounts by removing the Mobo backplate and screws go through the back into the brackets that attach to the heatsink. I am not getting the brackets to sit flush at the screw points in the top side of the board— so over tightening is definitely a concern the brackets are pretty easy to bend I’m guessing. Is this what you are seeing on yours @MarcParis ?

edit: I used some nylon washers to make the bracket near flush and have a nice even mount now. Testing temps soon

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I had my IS-60 mounted to both a MSI B450i and Asrock B450 Fatality and didn't have any problems with the motherboard bending, cooler contact seemed to be good.

Reactions: TheHig

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
No bending of the mobo seen here either. Its the flanges of the bracket. They had the screw holes hovering almost 6mm above the board when the cooler is seated. Adding the washers there made it easy to just tighten each screw till it stopped and the pressure should be pretty even in theory. I didn't take any pics but will when I move it into the SM550. I just ordered that this weekend so have not had a shipping email from Sliger just yet.

Temps are a bit better on the IS 60 than the wraith spire cooler I had on there before. Mid 50s-60s gaming and topping at 68.3 on CB R20 runs. I am running a -.1v offset on the 3600 also. This is of course manageable and if they stay similar in the SM then I'll be totally pleased with that.

Here is the messy home till that new case arrives. For all those "Cerberus Mini" fans out there the dimentions seem like they would end up near a Hadron Air but with better comparability -- which is pretty great really.

[url=https://imgur.com/UFthDY6] [/URL]

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Its a Hadron Air. I picked it up years ago with a bad PSU and i5 haswell build in it for cheap. Removed the PSU and HDD cage and SFX PSU goes in easy with clearance for reference length GPUs. Painted Stone Grey with Krylon brand spray paint. PSU is mounted by removing two of the fan screws and then screwing them back in from the front of the case. Faceplate of the case is removed as well as factory power button and USB. the power cord is a ninety degree plug to female c14 and is zip tied to the floor and accessed from the rear like the original. What is surprising is how big it looks next to the Cerberus X even though the Hadron is 16ish liters in volume. I am pretty pumped to get this system down to under 10 in the SM550.

I had to swap out the ram when the IS 60 was installed as the RipJaws are not happening clearance wise. The pic in the post above is with 16g of Team Dark Pro b-die with the top cap of the heat spreader removed. The IS 60 rests right up against those but fits just right.

Here is a pic before the CPU cooler swap.

[url=https://imgur.com/BccKAOn] [/URL]

Last edited:
Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Its a Hadron Air. I picked it up years ago with a bad PSU and i5 haswell build in it for cheap. Removed the PSU and HDD cage and SFX PSU goes in easy with clearance for reference length GPUs. Painted Stone Grey with Krylon brand spray paint. PSU is mounted by removing two of the fan screws and then screwing them back in from the front of the case. Faceplate of the case is removed as well as factory power button and USB. the power cord is a ninety degree plug to female c14 and is zip tied to the floor and accessed from the rear like the original. What is surprising is how big it looks next to the Cerberus X even though the Hadron is 16ish liters in volume. I am pretty pumped to get this system down to under 10 in the SM550.

I had to swap out the ram when the IS 60 was installed as the RipJaws are not happening clearance wise. The pic in the post above is with 16g of Team Dark Pro b-die with the top cap of the heat spreader removed. The IS 60 rests right up against those but fits just right.

Here is a pic before the CPU cooler swap.

[url=https://imgur.com/BccKAOn] [/URL]
Ahhhhhhhhhhh....evga hadron...with their nasty and noisy PSU...:D

Anyway you improved a lot hadron design...as you mentionned it looks like Cerberus Mini prototype..:D

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
The SM550 is ordered but no shipping email yet. I’m taking the plunge and making it my main system so probably sticking with the 3600 BUT will see how the 3900x fares on the Aorus B450 itx and IS 60 for science!

Hopefully this weekend or sooner.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
The SM550 is ordered but no shipping email yet. I’m taking the plunge and making it my main system so probably sticking with the 3600 BUT will see how the 3900x fares on the Aorus B450 itx and IS 60 for science!

Hopefully this weekend or sooner.
What will become your allmighty Cerberus-X if your SM550 is becoming your main system?..:D

beastmonkey

Chassis Packer
Jan 23, 2020
Thank you for all your hard work and meticulous documentation. I have really enjoyed this thread. I was wondering if the ID cooling IS with a slim 15mm noctua fan would fit with a sm550 without the washer mod. On sligers website it says this cooler requires the vented panels.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
I can confirm that that IS 60 cooler with the Noctua slum fan does not fit the SM550 without the washer mod.

With the washers it just barely clears and fan turbulence from the panel vents is pronounced and noisy. I’m actually running without the side panel presently for this reason.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Thank you for all your hard work and meticulous documentation. I have really enjoyed this thread. I was wondering if the ID cooling IS with a slim 15mm noctua fan would fit with a sm550 without the washer mod. On sligers website it says this cooler requires the vented panels.
Thanks a lot!
I can confirm that that IS 60 cooler with the Noctua slum fan does not fit the SM550 without the washer mod.

With the washers it just barely clears and fan turbulence from the panel vents is pronounced and noisy. I’m actually running without the side panel presently for this reason.
In fact I also applied flat head screw on is-60, but I guess, washer mod is still needed.

In terms of turbulence I didn’t notice a lot on my sm550. Maybe it’s because I’m using it as htpc.