SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

doomsdaydexter

Chassis Packer
Aug 27, 2017
Thinking about doing an AIO build with a 2400g for S&G as I assume that water pump on that loop kit have to sit outside the case. Just kills the aesthetic for me.

Has anyone successfully done a water cooled S4?
EKWB has some interesting kits that could possibly work ?
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/kits

I’ve been planning a Ryzen 2400g build and watercooling it for shits and giggles for
The time being. Should be able to adequately game off an OC’d 2400g for a bit.

elijahk33

Minimal Tinkerer
Apr 14, 2018
thanks a lot Josh

Another question, I've seen several builds using the Zotac 1080 Mini or 1080ti Mini. Does that require a case modification or videocard modification?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
thanks a lot Josh

Another question, I've seen several builds using the Zotac 1080 Mini or 1080ti Mini. Does that require a case modification or videocard modification?

The Zotac 1080 mini and Zotac 1080ti mini fit easily in the S4M with zero modifications.

The Zotac 1080 is the recommended GPU as it pairs with an HDPLEX 400 and Genuine Dell LA330PM160 for a plug and play experience. The 1080ti requires a custom power supply and runs very hot; plus the card itself runs louder even at idle. I don't prefer it.

I have a page on my website dedicated to several builds and everything I recommend that is necessary to complete them (and also mention optional accessories)

nfc-systems.com/boms

Peace!

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
With a couple new new mini ITX x470 chipset boards appearing for preorder, which would you recommend for an s4 build?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157837

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813119101

It looks like the Asus has bigger heatsinks. Would that shroud thing above the pci slot get in the way of a gpu?

The heatsinks are just for show, but no, both are fully compatible with the S4M and the SILIFLEX riser.

A side note...

The specs for the M.2 on the ASUS are confusing to me:

- 1 x M.2_1 Socket 3 with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 (PCIE 3.0 x4 and SATA modes) storage devices support
- 1 x M.2_2 Socket 3 with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 (PCIE 3.0 x4 mode) storage devices support*
*The M.2_2 slot shares with PCIE x16. When M.2_2 slot runs in PCIE mode, the PCIE x16 slot will run at x8 mode.

AMD Ryzen with Radeon Vega Graphics Processors/7th Generation A-series/Athlon Processors
- 1 x M.2_1 Socket 3 with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 (PCIE 3.0 x4 and SATA modes) storage devices support
- 1 x M.2_2 Socket 3 with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 (PCIE 3.0 x4 mode) storage devices support**
**The M.2_2 slot shares with PCIE x16. When M.2_2 slot runs in PCIE mode, the PCIE x16 slot will be disable.

I'm reading this as there are two M.2 slots, but with the second M.2 slot the PCIE (16x) slot runs at 8x, OR for APUs, the PCIE 16x slot is totally disabled? This makes me think the ASRock is a more attractive choice as it has (in my opinion) better I/O.

elijahk33

Minimal Tinkerer
Apr 14, 2018
typically the second M2 slot on Asrock boards officially only works with SATA devices, while the first M2 is the one for NVME SSDs

Maybe asus just wants to offer the extra flexibility for those users that want to give up the X16 slot for an additional PCI M2 drive...

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
The heatsinks are just for show, but no, both are fully compatible with the S4M and the SILIFLEX riser.

A side note...

- 1 x M.2_2 Socket 3 with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 (PCIE 3.0 x4 mode) storage devices support*
*The M.2_2 slot shares with PCIE x16. When M.2_2 slot runs in PCIE mode, the PCIE x16 slot will run at x8 mode.

AMD Ryzen with Radeon Vega Graphics Processors/7th Generation A-series/Athlon Processors
- 1 x M.2_2 Socket 3 with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 (PCIE 3.0 x4 mode) storage devices support**
**The M.2_2 slot shares with PCIE x16. When M.2_2 slot runs in PCIE mode, the PCIE x16 slot will be disable.

I'm reading this as there are two M.2 slots, but with the second M.2 slot the PCIE (16x) slot runs at 8x, OR for APUs, the PCIE 16x slot is totally disabled? This makes me think the ASRock is a more attractive choice as it has (in my opinion) better I/O.

This is from the Asus site for the X470-i
AMD Ryzen™ 2nd Generation/ Ryzen™ 1st Generation Processors :
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)*
AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics /7th Generation A-Series/Athlon X4 Processors : *2
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)
AMD 7th Generation A-Series/Athlon X4 Processors : *2
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA mode)
AMD X470 chipset :
4 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s),

You only have 2 M.2 slots available when using Ryzen, if using an APU you can only use the front M.2, SATA 3 and PCI 3.0X4 with the Raven Ridge and only SATA 3 for the Athlon.

Ryzen CPUs have 24 PCI lanes so even using 2 NVMe should still leave 16 lanes for the GPU.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Aoq1

Trash Compacter
Mar 16, 2018
Hey @Josh | NFC i recently purchased a power button and the shipping seems to take more time than I expected, how long does it usually takes to ship internationally ?

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018

A side note...

I read that the same as you, which disappoints me as well. However by the looks of it the ASRock motherboard only has one m.2 M-keyed slot.

This is from the Asus site for the X470-i
AMD Ryzen™ 2nd Generation/ Ryzen™ 1st Generation Processors :
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)*
AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics /7th Generation A-Series/Athlon X4 Processors : *2
AMD 7th Generation A-Series/Athlon X4 Processors : *2
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA mode)
AMD X470 chipset :
4 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s),

You only have 2 M.2 slots available when using Ryzen, if using an APU you can only use the front M.2, SATA 3 and PCI 3.0X4 with the Raven Ridge and only SATA 3 for the Athlon.

Ryzen CPUs have 24 PCI lanes so even using 2 NVMe should still leave 16 lanes for the GPU.

IIRC 4 of those lanes go to the chipset, so effectively only 20 lanes are available

Last edited:

Thirumal Kumaran

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 22, 2018
This psu looks small, will it fit in the S4M for a brick less setup ?

https://www.ien.eu/article/power-supply-8/
Going by the dimensions (190 x 81.5 x 40.5mm), the only way to mount is on side. in that case the sideways encroachment would be 81.5mm which does not allow standard height card to be mounted. You might be lucky with Low profiles. (Which defeats the purpose)
if you are planning for a "no video card" build. Its is possible. (But again defeats the purpose)
Moreover, would you gain anything instead of hdplex 160?

blubblob

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 26, 2016
Not to mention that it's a flexATX PSU with a 40mm screamer fan and a non-modular cable harness (which might not even have the connectors you require).

ngriesdo

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 15, 2017
Ok, so I am looking for some info regarding a couple things before I bite the bullet on a S4M. I already own a S4M-C but it is not working for my needs so I have decided to sell it and possibly get a S4M instead. The main problems I have with my S4M-C is that is too small to work in and I get frustrated with that because I am always working on my cases and projects to improve them. The second problem that I have which killed my last project is PCI-e cable clearance. I absolutely can't deal with the cable clearance of the S4M-C with my custom sleeved cables. There isn't enough room for me to move them or do anything with them. I would like to know if anyone here knows the difference between the 2 cases in the PCI-e cable clearance department. If you have exact measurements that would be even better! The S4M-C was so bad with the clearance that it would cause the frame to bow out and not allow for some screws to be screwed in when the cables were plugged in. I also had issues with it bending my video card. I love the S4M-C and love the wrap-around bezel but I feel at least for my needs I need something that is a hair bigger. If anyone or @Josh | NFC can help answer these questions that would be fantastic.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Ok, so I am looking for some info regarding a couple things before I bite the bullet on a S4M. I already own a S4M-C but it is not working for my needs so I have decided to sell it and possibly get a S4M instead. The main problems I have with my S4M-C is that is too small to work in and I get frustrated with that because I am always working on my cases and projects to improve them. The second problem that I have which killed my last project is PCI-e cable clearance. I absolutely can't deal with the cable clearance of the S4M-C with my custom sleeved cables. There isn't enough room for me to move them or do anything with them. I would like to know if anyone here knows the difference between the 2 cases in the PCI-e cable clearance department. If you have exact measurements that would be even better! The S4M-C was so bad with the clearance that it would cause the frame to bow out and not allow for some screws to be screwed in when the cables were plugged in. I also had issues with it bending my video card. I love the S4M-C and love the wrap-around bezel but I feel at least for my needs I need something that is a hair bigger. If anyone or @Josh | NFC can help answer these questions that would be fantastic.

Howdy!

We need to know more specifics to help you. When you say PCIE cable clearance do you mean the distance from the top of the GPU to the case side? In the S4M the distance from the PCIE tab to the inner case frame is 50mm which is quite a bit. The S4M-C is about 28mm.

I have both cases modeled in sketchup for this very purpose and uploaded to the resources section of this site. You don't even need to install sketchup anymore as you can run it from your browser. All you need to know is H for hide and T for tape measurer.

Here are the models for your reference:

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/resources/s4-mini.63/
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/resources/skyreach-4-mini.105/

But like I said, I would need more info to help you. I don't see how it is possible for the frame to bow out because of PCIE cables; it is 2mm thick aluminum wrapped in 5mm aluminum so I think I am picturing it wrong. XD

Peace and good luck!

Reactions: Elerek

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
@ngriesdo I did not own a S4M-C but I can say from experience that building in the S4M is easy compared to other cases I've used in the past (Silverstone RVZ01, Lian-Li PC-TU100B). The way Josh designed it makes it simple to replace pretty much any component. Ex. I can replace the M.2 SSD on the back of my motherboard by unscrewing 4 screws and taking one side panel off.

Reactions: ngriesdo

ngriesdo

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 15, 2017
@Josh | NFC that is exactly what I need to know! Thank you for that info. Now regarding your questions I should add a bit more backstory to this. I have a G-Unique PSU that got sleeved with 16 gauge wire and it is quite a bit thicker with that wire and sleeving versus the normal 18 gauge. The problem I am having is the from the top of the GPU. I can plug my PCI cables into the top of the 8-Pin connector but the cables are so thick that they interfere with the inner-frame of the case. This interference causes the GPU to bow upwards because of the pressure against the inner-frame and the cables. The bending that I was referencing was the inner frame bowing from the pressure of the cables against the inner-frame floor. This causes the screws not to line up with the outter panels expect for the front wrap-around bezel. I hope this makes further sense and can provide someone with assisting me! If you need any other things from me then please let me know. Thank you for your help!