SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Has anyone tried liquid metal with 8700k?

Are you asking about delidding or using liquid metal between the IHS and the heatsink? I delidded my 8700k and saw 20C lower temps at 1.35v and 15C at 1.20v.

If just used for thermal paste I have heard very small improvement and not worth the risk of frying your motherboard with the liquid metal.

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
I've read the question wrong, I think.

But rfarmer is right, not much point in using liquid metal between the IHS and heatsink when you're constrained by the compound between the die and IHS.

Reactions: dealwithitx

dealwithitx

Caliper Novice
Nov 15, 2017
Are you asking about delidding or using liquid metal between the IHS and the heatsink? I delidded my 8700k and saw 20C lower temps at 1.35v and 15C at 1.20v.

If just used for thermal paste I have heard very small improvement and not worth the risk of frying your motherboard with the liquid metal.

Oh, I see. Thanks!

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 16, 2017
If you already have a 1070 you may want to wait until July to upgrade. The 1100 series cards are likely to launch in July.
ok then. bought a i7 8700k and the z370-i from asus.
will stay for now on my 1070.
tomorrow delidding the 8700k and see how the temps and power consumption will be.
right now the delided 6700k goes up to 89°C on prime95

Reactions: Obelisk and kulbida

napptr

Chassis Packer
Mar 7, 2018
I have obtained a pre-wired C8 connector, but to say it feels tight is an understatement. Do I just jam it in there? It's so tight it's peeling up layers of plastic if I push hard.

Last edited:

dealwithitx

Caliper Novice
Nov 15, 2017
I am planning on replacing a wi-fi module on my Z370i, the height of adapter I will use is 47mm. Should fit, but it doesn’t look like there is enough space for that. What do you guys think?

Reactions: Broxin and Obelisk

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I have obtained a pre-wired C8 connector, but to say it feels tight is an understatement. Do I just jam it in there? It's so tight it's peeling up layers of plastic if I push hard.

If it is the one I sell then it should be very tight. If you bought it elsewhere be aware these are NOT standard and some will not fit.

For the Shurter C8 on my site, back it out, clean up the peeled plastic, use a drop of water and jam it in there.

It's a press fit :)

Reactions: napptr

Thirumal Kumaran

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 22, 2018
If it is the one I sell then it should be very tight. If you bought it elsewhere be aware these are NOT standard and some will not fit.

For the Shurter C8 on my site, back it out, clean up the peeled plastic, use a drop of water and jam it in there.

It's a press fit :)

Is it ok to use a 2 pin connector leaving ungrounded for a brickless build?
Do you know any projects using a c6 connector for grounded wiring?
Thanks

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Is it ok to use a 2 pin connector leaving ungrounded for a brickless build?
Do you know any projects using a c6 connector for grounded wiring?
Thanks

Hello, Thirumal!

I'd love to give you a black or white answer, but you'll need to search for this (on this forum) and determine the answer for yourself. I think it is fine, and scores of other customers do too apparently, but there could potentially be some drawbacks which have been debated.

Peace to you.

calvinpp

Caliper Novice
Dec 9, 2017
Just finished putting this together, I am REALLY satisfied with the results.

i5 8400, Asus Strix B360-I, 32GB Ballistix DDR4 ram, 2TB WD M.2 SATA SSD, Noctua NH-L9i, HDPlex 400, Dell 330w brick. Thinking of a Zotac 1070ti Mini though I don't really have time for games.

Winston

Cable Smoosher
Jan 20, 2018
Thanks to Josh for making an awesome case. I love my brickless s4. How is the 400 watt hdplex held so solidly in place? I don't get it.
Friction is holding the hdplex in place. In my experience, not the most elegant or secure even with Skywire cables

napptr

Chassis Packer
Mar 7, 2018
Friction is holding the hdplex in place. In my experience, not the most elegant or secure even with Skywire cables

Have you had problems with it coming loose during use? Mine seems like it is unlikely to budge unless the computer is dropped or something. However, I acquired some thermally conductive transfer tape at the suggestion of another poster in this thread and I will use it if I the HDplex becomes dislodged: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ITLKQIC/?tag=theminutiae-20

Reactions: Josh | NFC

Flumper Dinkle

Trash Compacter
Feb 26, 2018
It's arguably the most elegant solution, no screws sticking out anywhere, no extra effort to mount, no dealing with tape or velcro to take it out.
And as for how secure it is I've found it to have zero room for movement when using the Skywire cables. It's got less room for movement than I do when I wear my 10 year old suit.

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
Have you had problems with it coming loose during use? Mine seems like it is unlikely to budge unless the computer is dropped or something. However, I acquired some thermally conductive transfer tape at the suggestion of another poster in this thread and I will use it if I the HDplex becomes dislodged: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ITLKQIC/?tag=theminutiae-20
I’ve traveled with mine many times in my backpack and not encountered any issues yet.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

guyperson

Efficiency Noob
Apr 11, 2018
I’m not Josh :confused: but there are two GTX 1080 minis you can choose from at the moment. The Zotac or Gigabyte models. If at some point in the undefined future you want to have an internal power supply in your S4M then the Gigabyte model would be the way to go. However, if you’re planning to use an external power supply for the long term then whichever one you can get for a better price will provide you with more value.

For CPUs, the new Zen+ chips from AMD have just come out so the competition has heated up again! For 65w CPUs you’re looking at mid tier: i5 8400 vs r5 2600 (~$200) and top tier: i5 8700 vs r7 2700 (~$300). Which one you choose is dependent on your workload or brand preference. I would recommend an AMD chip for a multipurpose workstation or productivity based machine and an Intel chip for a more gaming focused machine.

Edit: Oh for z370. You’re looking for an Intel chip then. Whoops. Well maybe someone else will find that section useful.

Does anyone have experience with both of the 1080 minis? I like how compact the Gigabyte model is, but am worried about cooling since it only has one fan. On the other hand, I've heard that the Zotac model can be quite noisy.. but does it do any better of a job at cooling?

Also, as far as the possibility of going brickless in the future.. wouldn't putting an AC-DC converter right next to a 1080 make for an extremely hot case? Just wondering if this is even something worth considering when deciding between the two.

doomsdaydexter

Chassis Packer
Aug 27, 2017
Black side panels are up again on SFFlab - just snagged a set plus S4M.

Prolly be a month before I can back from work in southern europe and try to smash / fettle an AIO into it with the 2400g. Just in the interests of tinkering / science / bloke stuff. Will probably get taken out and put a 1050ti in there and go brickless after doing some testing on it.

Reactions: McTeags