Completed SFFtime presents: P-ATX v2 - 10 L case with improved ATX, AIO and 3-slot support!

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Hi, I am looking for advice! I want to build a desktop using this p-ATX v2 case. I am hoping to be able to fit the following:

1. An AMD 5950x.
  2. An AMD 6800 xt or 6900 xt.
  3. A motherboard with Wi-Fi (Wi-Fi 6, ideally).
  4. At least two M.2 drives, at least one of which is PCIe 4.0.
I do not really care about the rest (such as 2.5 inch drives).

Is this possible? Any recommendations of components that could make this work, or of compromises if this just would not work?

I feel like the 2.5 slot card is going to be the most significant obstacle, right?

Since you want to use 2.5 slot GPU you should really use an ITX board. There is a small chance that 6800XT or 6900XT will fit with ATX or m-ATX board, but I won't recommend it.

But I think that you can do it with ITX board, there are models with 2x m.2 and wifi6, and like Marc said, you should get either IS-60 or AXP-100 Cu, they will be able to cool it enough. Not the best possible cooling, but ok. And if you can get a 700 or 750W supply, yeah.

Reactions: Quaddragon

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Since you want to use 2.5 slot GPU you should really use an ITX board. There is a small chance that 6800XT or 6900XT will fit with ATX or m-ATX board, but I won't recommend it.
In case of using 2.5x slot gpu, what will be clearance with side panel?

capy

Caliper Novice
Nov 20, 2020

But I think that you can do it with ITX board, there are models with 2x m.2 and wifi6, and like Marc said, you should get either IS-60 or AXP-100 Cu, they will be able to cool it enough. Not the best possible cooling, but ok. And if you can get a 700 or 750W supply, yeah.

Well, ideally I would like to have at least 128 GB RAM as well. My current laptop does, and I do not want to downgrade. So that poses a problem for mini-ITX. But some micro-ATX might work? How would I be sure?

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Well, ideally I would like to have at least 128 GB RAM as well. My current laptop does, and I do not want to downgrade. So that poses a problem for mini-ITX. But some micro-ATX might work? How would I be sure?

Micro ATX and ATX have the same compatibility. Well we can't be sure until someone tries it out. Based on my CAD it should fit very tightly, but I can't be 100% sure.

capy

Caliper Novice
Nov 20, 2020
Micro ATX and ATX have the same compatibility. Well we can't be sure until someone tries it out. Based on my CAD it should fit very tightly, but I can't be 100% sure.

There would not be any difference in fit between the 6800 xt and 6900 xt, in any event. Correct?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
There would not be any difference in fit between the 6800 xt and 6900 xt, in any event. Correct?
Yes same card size between reference model of 6800XT and 6900XT.

Basically it will be a tight fit at best (as CAD states), however other physical details could ruin fit (Riser cable management, Motherboard with taller components...etc)

Basically I encountered same issue with Sliger SM550 (theorical GPU 2.5slots compatible). However I encountered many issues to do it...at the end I managed to fit my GTX 1080ti inside it! (check my below signature with my log on SM550)

Reactions: riba2233

capy

Caliper Novice
Nov 20, 2020
Oh, you are the one who makes the case. Then I guess you would know. Since the 6800 XT has dimensions of 267 mm x 120 mm x 50 mm, I suppose might fit, then? If it does not work, I will have to use a dual slot 3080 or something along those lines.

capy

Caliper Novice
Nov 20, 2020
Yes same card size between reference model of 6800XT and 6900XT.

Basically it will be a tight fit at best (as CAD states), however other physical details could ruin fit (Riser cable management, Motherboard with taller components...etc)

Basically I encountered same issue with Sliger SM550 (theorical GPU 2.5slots compatible). However I encountered many issues to do it...at the end I managed to fit my GTX 1080ti inside it! (check my below signature with my log on SM550)

Well, I would definitely like to put an AMD GPU in, to take advantage of the synergy they seem to be promising, but the 6800 is not good enough. So I would need to figure out how to fit a 6800 XT/6900 XT somehow. Since I do not need any HDDs, would it be possible to mount the GPU vertically in the right half of the case and move some of the other components around? Or is that not possible?

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Well, I would definitely like to put an AMD GPU in, to take advantage of the synergy they seem to be promising, but the 6800 is not good enough. So I would need to figure out how to fit a 6800 XT/6900 XT somehow. Since I do not need any HDDs, would it be possible to mount the GPU vertically in the right half of the case and move some of the other components around? Or is that not possible?

I mean it would be possible in theory, but making a new mount, figuring a way to route the display cables, not to mention dealing with new PSU position makes it virtually impossible. You can either wait for someone else to confirm it, or just aim for 3080 FE or XC3 from evga. They have announced to have SAM support in the future.

Quaddragon

Chassis Packer
Nov 11, 2020
2 Sabrent Gen 4 nvme drives - Got these on sale for $230 due to the Pre Black Friday Deals
AMD 5600X - Managed to catch one on Best Buy for retail.
Gigabyte B550i motherboard or the Asus Dark Hero VIII.
3080 TI Founders edition or Aftermarket doesn't really matter to me.
32 gigs of Cas 14 3200 mhz ram - Was leaning towards the G.Skill Trident Z Neo - 4 sticks. If Ram Sink height is an issue I'd go for 2 Crucial Ballistics LPX
SF-750 if I can get my hands one.
Air cooled with the IS-60 or AXP-100 - Or appropriate air cooling depending on case.
Noctua appropriate fans where applicable.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
2 Sabrent Gen 4 nvme drives - Got these on sale for $230 due to the Pre Black Friday Deals
AMD 5600X - Managed to catch one on Best Buy for retail.
Gigabyte B550i motherboard or the Asus Dark Hero VIII.
3080 TI Founders edition or Aftermarket doesn't really matter to me.
32 gigs of Cas 14 3200 mhz ram - Was leaning towards the G.Skill Trident Z Neo - 4 sticks. If Ram Sink height is an issue I'd go for 2 Crucial Ballistics LPX
SF-750 if I can get my hands one.
Air cooled with the IS-60 or AXP-100 - Or appropriate air cooling depending on case.
Noctua appropriate fans where applicable.

Since you are using 5600x which is really easy to cool and itx board, definitely go for P-ATX. You can grab any 3-slot 3080 and you will have great cooling for both cpu and gpu.

I recommend 2x16 over 4x8 gb ram in any case (even on ATX), you can achieve better frequency that way.

You just need to choose correct combination of cpu cooler and ram sticks, for eg APX 100 has better RAM compatibility than is60. Also APX90 CU should also be good for 5600x, or new APX90 53. Also shuriken2 has awesome RAM compatibility eg.

Cirsium

Case Bender
New User
Nov 24, 2020
Hello there....you wrote somewhere that in certain cases one could get away with using a mATX board with a 2,5 slot graphics card. Do you by any chance have a example? Because then I might keep my eyes peeled for such a board.
I've already ordered your case and am looking forward to building :-)

What a pity the component prices are a *!#&* right now....

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Hello there....you wrote somewhere that in certain cases one could get away with using a mATX board with a 2,5 slot graphics card. Do you by any chance have a example? Because then I might keep my eyes peeled for such a board.
I've already ordered your case and am looking forward to building :-)

What a pity the component prices are a *!#&* right now....

Hi, I that is valid for both ATX and mATX since they share the same compatibility options (you gain nothing with going mATX over ATX in this case). In theory you could fit gpu up to 50mm thick (or 2.5 slot) if it's lower than 120mm, but it was never tested and it's not a part of official compatibility specification.

So I would suggest waiting until someone tries it out before making any purchase decisions, or trying it out if you already have the components :)

Reactions: Cirsium

nameless

Case Bender
New User
May 18, 2020
Count me as another person on the watch for anyone trying to fit a 6800XT in this case with an ATX board. Ordered the case recently knowing i could step down if required, but I'm hoping someone makes an AIB card that fits just right.

SpringerTheNerd

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 7, 2017
I got tired of waiting for EK to come out with their 3090 block and it doesn't fit the chassis with the cooler still on it so I pulled out the trusty 3D printer and made a stand for it so I can finally use this beast

(This is still the P-ATX v1. I don't plan on moving over fully until I have the waterblock)

Last edited: