Completed SFFtime presents: P-ATX v2 - 10 L case with improved ATX, AIO and 3-slot support!

Neldum

Cable Smoosher
Jul 17, 2020
Finally got my old system in the case. Went with an air cooler for now on the CPU. Running great so far, and am typing from it now. Thanks for the awesome case Jakov!
imgur album
(I don't know how to insert the fancy album preview into the post)

Reactions: Fa5en

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Finally got my old system in the case. Went with an air cooler for now on the CPU. Running great so far, and am typing from it now. Thanks for the awesome case Jakov!
imgur album
(I don't know how to insert the fancy album preview into the post)

I think you just past the link of the album, like this:

Or you can link images separately:

Very interesting build, it is nice to see some older systems, and makes me glad that I did V2 since build like this would not be possible in V1.

Is that Shuriken V2, how are your CPU temps?

Also I would consider installing the case fan in other direction.

Thank you for posting this and I'm glad you like it, you're welcome :)

Neldum

Cable Smoosher
Jul 17, 2020
I think you just past the link of the album, like this:

Or you can link images separately:

Very interesting build, it is nice to see some older systems, and makes me glad that I did V2 since build like this would not be possible in V1.

Is that Shuriken V2, how are your CPU temps?

Also I would consider installing the case fan in other direction.

Thank you for posting this and I'm glad you like it, you're welcome :)
Yeah I couldn't decide which direction would be ideal for that 120mm fan. I don't think it's really even doing a whole lot at the moment. I'll flip it next time I have the case open.

The CPU temps seem good. I ran a short stress test earlier (~45 minutes) and they peaked at 63C and stayed there. AMD recommends 61C max for Vishera for what I could find. So under normal conditions and gaming it should be good. Much better than the stock fan which would hit 70+ on the same stress test.

The system still runs games on medium-ultra 1440p at a steady 60 fps+. I'm really itching to upgrade, just can't afford the whole CPU/Mobo/RAM upgrade right now.

Reactions: riba2233

Neldum

Cable Smoosher
Jul 17, 2020
I'd like to report back on the Shuriken 2. I didn't have the fan curves adjusted correctly previously for it. I re-ran a stress test with the new curves and it never went above 54.5C. Extremely satisfied with it's performance now that I have it tuned correctly. Amazing cooler for how compact it is. Idle sits at 30C I may actually attempt some overclocking on the CPU after seeing this. I have the stock fan, which is very quiet, and would say rivals Noctua. I used Noctua brand paste when I repasted the cpu and cooler. ?

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
I'd like to report back on the Shuriken 2. I didn't have the fan curves adjusted correctly previously for it. I re-ran a stress test with the new curves and it never went above 54.5C. Extremely satisfied with it's performance now that I have it tuned correctly. Amazing cooler for how compact it is. Idle sits at 30C I may actually attempt some overclocking on the CPU after seeing this. I have the stock fan, which is very quiet, and would say rivals Noctua. I used Noctua brand paste when I repasted the cpu and cooler. ?

Well that sounds awesome, maybe the secret is in fin orientation. Guess I will have to buy one to test vs. my IS-60 :)

Please check out this two nice build videos:

I would like to say thanks to my customers who made these videos, they are really awesome!

Reactions: Neldum

Neldum

Cable Smoosher
Jul 17, 2020
It looks so much cleaner with the ITX board instead of the full ATX! Can't wait to upgrade to an ITX system. Cramps my GPU a little bit more than I'd like, although it doesn't seem to affect thermals there.

Yeah I would have gone with the IS-60, but the system I have already had these G-Skill sticks in it, which I'm pretty sure would have been way too tall to work with the IS-60. So it was between the Shuriken 2 and the Noctua NH-L9. I decided to take a chance with the Shuriken, and I can't complain.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
It looks so much cleaner with the ITX board instead of the full ATX! Can't wait to upgrade to an ITX system. Cramps my GPU a little bit more than I'd like, although it doesn't seem to affect thermals there.

Yeah I would have gone with the IS-60, but the system I have already had these G-Skill sticks in it, which I'm pretty sure would have been way too tall to work with the IS-60. So it was between the Shuriken 2 and the Noctua NH-L9. I decided to take a chance with the Shuriken, and I can't complain.

Yeaf I get that it can feel a little cramped with ATX gpu, but I have actually increased the clearance compared to V1 haha :) And you get a satisfaction that you filled the whole volume :p

Neldum

Cable Smoosher
Jul 17, 2020
Yeaf I get that it can feel a little cramped with ATX gpu, but I have actually increased the clearance compared to V1 haha :) And you get a satisfaction that you filled the whole volume :p
Yeah it definitely feels like no wasted space. It felt so good to have everything in such a small space, and have a lot more room on my desk too!

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Hi everyone,

I have prepared designs for alternative side panels which can be mounted to 4 M3 mounting holes on the side of the case, for anyone that wants to have them cut:

Download link

Dimensions are in mm, scale 1:1 (375 x 339.3 mm)

Of course, I recommend using standoffs for version without ventilation.

Last edited:

Neldum

Cable Smoosher
Jul 17, 2020
Hi everyone,

I have prepared designs for alternative side panels which can be mounted to 4 M3 mounting holes on the side of the case, for anyone that wants to have them cut:

Download link

Dimensions are in mm, scale 1:1 (375 x 339.3 mm)

Of course, I recommend using standoffs for version without ventilation.
Thanks for these!
Are "simp vent" and "cpu vent" supposed to be the same?

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Thanks for these!
Are "simp vent" and "cpu vent" supposed to be the same?

Ok I just saw it, yeah they are not supposed to be the same ?

I will correct it now.

EDIT - link updated, thank you for noticing!

BTW if anyone has some suggestion or wishes tell me and I'll see that I can do!

Neldum

Cable Smoosher
Jul 17, 2020
Ok I just saw it, yeah they are not supposed to be the same ?

I will correct it now.

EDIT - link updated, thank you for noticing!

BTW if anyone has some suggestion or wishes tell me and I'll see that I can do!
What about vents using your logo? Maybe not every single vent, but 1 or 2 in the shape of it might be neat.

• Love

PnkPanther

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Oct 16, 2020

Just finished my first ever SFF build in this case and holy hell ; every aspect of this build was so fun to do. top to bottom this case design is incredibly efficient, well thought out, and structurally solid. I can't get over all the little attention to detail that you put into these. While going through the build guide from this thread I kept finding myself getting excited as i realized the various solutions for each component.

This build is using my old mobo and CPU with other parts sourced 2nd hand or binb from various users. kept the cost down and was still a fantastic upgrade for my partners work. They do mostly freelance design and were having a ton of issues getting through heavier video editing projects. So far they're beyond excited to have this new tiny build for their small office. We've gotta finish setting up a small wall mount but once we do i'll post a final desk pic!

(also a note: the IS-60 from ID-Cooling fits perfectly, but as other users have stated, sits on a bit of an angle. it doesn't touch my corsair LPX ram at all with this z-170 mobo, but when it comes to heatsink mounting this cooler is definitely a little jank. I haven't done proper temp monitoring and stress testing yet but i may wind up having to reseat it again to get a better contact)

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Just finished my first ever SFF build in this case and holy hell ; every aspect of this build was so fun to do. top to bottom this case design is incredibly efficient, well thought out, and structurally solid. I can't get over all the little attention to detail that you put into these. While going through the build guide from this thread I kept finding myself getting excited as i realized the various solutions for each component.

This build is using my old mobo and CPU with other parts sourced 2nd hand or binb from various users. kept the cost down and was still a fantastic upgrade for my partners work. They do mostly freelance design and were having a ton of issues getting through heavier video editing projects. So far they're beyond excited to have this new tiny build for their small office. We've gotta finish setting up a small wall mount but once we do i'll post a final desk pic!

(also a note: the IS-60 from ID-Cooling fits perfectly, but as other users have stated, sits on a bit of an angle. it doesn't touch my corsair LPX ram at all with this z-170 mobo, but when it comes to heatsink mounting this cooler is definitely a little jank. I haven't done proper temp monitoring and stress testing yet but i may wind up having to reseat it again to get a better contact)

Hi, thank you for feedback and pictures. I can't tell you how happy this kind of positive feedback makes me, I've put a lot of though into design and it feels awesome to have that recognized.

Can't wait to see those other pictures! ?

Reactions: MartinElectronics

Fa5en

Trash Compacter
Jan 22, 2020
I'm using a Noctua NH-L9i to cool my i5-9600k (not overclocked) and the temps are perfectly fine for gaming due to the ample airflow in the P-ATX. Was a bit worried since its a 95w CPU and Noctuas recommendation is 65W with that cooler. But for gaming no issues what so ever. Had a 120mm AIO in my SG13 case and the temps are more or less the same while gaming. So i'm a happy camper. (still waiting for my Asus 3080 TUF o_O )

Intrepid_Cosmonaut

Average Stuffer
Sep 26, 2018
Well it was a week late as i had to wait for some adaptors but here is my build log as promised:

Some time ago my other half picked up an MSI Prestige P-100A with a 2070 and an i7-9700 mostly on the basis of liking its design and wanting something to replace her machine without the wait for a SFF case in Australia. Unfortunately for her, the MSI prebuilt case had shocking thermals, so after initially only asking me to replace the terrible included PSU due to it making a godawful amount of noise she recently asked me to rebuild it for her in a less limited case.

Album of rebuild process and temperature comparisons(Comments within album):
The install process was fairly straight forward, fortunately MSI used mostly standard components in the p-100. The only real issues I had were dealing with the stock backplate adaptor having been adhered to the rear of the socket (WHY?!?!) And sourcing the correct adaptor to go from the m2 wifi card to an external set of antennas.

Temperatures are majorly improved with a measurable uptick in performance and a huge reduction in noise as a result, full details are in an image in the above album.

Temperatures after successive Firestrike runs with unmodified stock fan curves and voltages:

P-100A Case With MSI Intel Cooler:
CPU (i7-9700) Package Maximum: 85 °C
VRM Maximum: 66 °C
GPU (MSI 2070 Ventus) Temperature Maximum: 81 °C

SFFTIME P-ATXv2 With Thermalright AXP-100 Copper:
CPU (i7-9700) Package Maximum: 62 °C
VRM Maximum: 51 °C
GPU (MSI 2070 Ventus)Temperature Maximum: 71 °C

TL;DR Turns out if you build a case with minimal ventilation the parts in said case will be hot, who knew(apparently not MSI). The P-ATXv2 however is a great, easy to build in case with significant improvements over the first version and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a console style case.

Last edited:

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Well it was a week late as i had to wait for some adaptors but here is my build log as promised:

Some time ago my other half picked up an MSI Prestige P-100A with a 2070 and an i7-9700 mostly on the basis of liking its design and wanting something to replace her machine without the wait for a SFF case in Australia. Unfortunately for her, the MSI prebuilt case had shocking thermals, so after initially only asking me to replace the terrible included PSU due to it making a godawful amount of noise she recently asked me to rebuild it for her in a less limited case.

Album of rebuild process and temperature comparisons(Comments within album):
The install process was fairly straight forward, fortunately MSI used mostly standard components in the p-100. The only real issues I had were dealing with the stock backplate adaptor having been adhered to the rear of the socket (WHY?!?!) And sourcing the correct adaptor to go from the m2 wifi card to an external set of antennas.

Temperatures are majorly improved with a measurable uptick in performance and a huge reduction in noise as a result, full details are in an image in the above album.

Temperatures after successive Firestrike runs with unmodified stock fan curves and voltages:

P-100A Case With MSI Intel Cooler:
CPU (i7-9700) Package Maximum: 85 °C
VRM Maximum: 66 °C
GPU (MSI 2070 Ventus) Temperature Maximum: 81 °C

SFFTIME P-ATXv2 With Thermalright AXP-100 Copper:
CPU (i7-9700) Package Maximum: 62 °C
VRM Maximum: 51 °C
GPU (MSI 2070 Ventus)Temperature Maximum: 71 °C

TL;DR Turns out if you build a case with minimal ventilation the parts in said will be hot, who knew(apparently not MSI). The P-ATXv2 however is a great, easy to build in case with significant improvements over the first version and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a console style case.

Wow, I am speechless. I can't believe how bad they can design the case, it is obvious hotbox, you see it as soon as you see the internals.

And I can't thank you enough for writing this awesome build log and thermal test, really nice presentation with cool pictures, and very useful for anyone who wants to see how this case performs. I must say, I kind of expected this kind of improvement in temps, but it is really nice to see it proven in real life.

You know how they say, happy wife, happy life ?

I'm using a Noctua NH-L9i to cool my i5-9600k (not overclocked) and the temps are perfectly fine for gaming due to the ample airflow in the P-ATX. Was a bit worried since its a 95w CPU and Noctuas recommendation is 65W with that cooler. But for gaming no issues what so ever. Had a 120mm AIO in my SG13 case and the temps are more or less the same while gaming. So i'm a happy camper. (still waiting for my Asus 3080 TUF o_O )

That's really nice to hear :)