Completed SFFtime presents: P-ATX, the 9L case with ATX and AIO support!

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Build is done(ish). I have to get some thinner magnetic strips for my (perforated) polycarbonate window panel so it fits in stand. Will post more details in my build thread over next few days, but for now I really like this case and build. More pics:

Wow this is completely INSANE! ?

I have to admit, I knew you are going to do something interesting, but I did not expect this level of detail.

Good job ?

Can someone make some custom cable measurements for ITX and ATX boards?

I have posted it few pages back, but it was probably lost among other replies.

Here is is:

I did some measurements, and I would do it like this:

ATX - SFX cable lengths:

24 pin - 15 cm
EPS 8 pin - 50 cm
Short GPU (210 mm) - 25 cm
Reference GPU (268 mm) - 15 cm

For ITX, just add 8-10 cm to the 24 pin cable.

xKannibale

Average Stuffer
Feb 5, 2020
Going to be installing 3x 60mm fans to the top. Is it recommended to put them in for intake or exhaust? I feel intake would work best blowing cool air into the CPU area?

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
Not a user but for these design, the cooler actually has access to fresh air (like a sandwich case). I would say go exhaust since warm air build up also contribute to more heat for the cooler. Though ultimately, you have to test what works best.

mr.squishy

Average Stuffer
Aug 5, 2019
Going to be installing 3x 60mm fans to the top. Is it recommended to put them in for intake or exhaust? I feel intake would work best blowing cool air into the CPU area?
It really depends on your cooling setup. If you are pushing air towards the mobo, exhausting is probably better. If you are pushing air away from the mobo, intake is probably better. For AIO cooling I doubt it matters.

xKannibale

Average Stuffer
Feb 5, 2020
It really depends on your cooling setup. If you are pushing air towards the mobo, exhausting is probably better. If you are pushing air away from the mobo, intake is probably better. For AIO cooling I doubt it matters.

After a couple hours I've seen the heat start to build up from the GPU around the center of the case, kind of like a dead zone of hot air that passively exhausts through the holes in the case. But this impacts the GPU from starting at 75C to peaking 79C after an hour or two.

So yeah, either I exhaust that hot air out. Not sure if the top fans will really exhaust air from near the middle of the case though. Or I use them as intakes and force cool air down towards the GPU.

snailonni

Trash Compacter
Aug 27, 2019
After a couple hours I've seen the heat start to build up from the GPU around the center of the case, kind of like a dead zone of hot air that passively exhausts through the holes in the case. But this impacts the GPU from starting at 75C to peaking 79C after an hour or two.

So yeah, either I exhaust that hot air out. Not sure if the top fans will really exhaust air from near the middle of the case though. Or I use them as intakes and force cool air down towards the GPU.
I did the intake method and got 2-3 degree degrees in temp for CPU compare to exhaust . I did not really pay msuch attention for the GPU though, since they don't create as much noise.

xKannibale

Average Stuffer
Feb 5, 2020
Yeah, in theory exhaust makes more sense and also less turbulence. But as always, it is best to try it out.

In other news (lol) I am just finalizing the order for the other type of risers, so everyone who has any kind of problem with the current riser will get a free replacement.

Yeah, I don't know I guess whatever adhesive they used just wasn't strong enough for the sharp bends that have to be made with the cable

SomeBoredGuy

Cable Smoosher
Sep 9, 2018
Very nice case,

had to pw reset for commenting :D

just waiting for an rma on my itx board (if i get a replacment ill go itx and another case (very unlikely as its a x370i) if not ill proberly go atx and this case since a new itx will cost so much more than i paid.

benefits of being an aussie :(

do you have any seconds that are less quality (ie dodgy paint etc) that could be bought for less ?

trying to keep the budget down :)

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Very nice case,

had to pw reset for commenting :D

just waiting for an rma on my itx board (if i get a replacment ill go itx and another case (very unlikely as its a x370i) if not ill probably go atx and this case since a new itx will cost so much more than i paid.

benefits of being an aussie :(

do you have any seconds that are less quality (ie dodgy paint etc) that could be bought for less ?

trying to keep the budget down :)

Hi, thank you for your interest!

Yes, I have B-stock available in all colors, feel free to send me a PM :)

Just a note, even if you use ITX board, this case still offers some benefits, like support for 3 slot gpu, good AIO support and really good ventilation and thus performance.

Reactions: ZivZulander

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Yeah, I don't know I guess whatever adhesive they used just wasn't strong enough for the sharp bends that have to be made with the cable

Yes, it's unfortunate but luckily it seems that only a really small number of customers are having issues. Hope that this next one will take care of that completely.

SomeBoredGuy

Cable Smoosher
Sep 9, 2018
Hi, thank you for your interest!

Yes, I have B-stock available in all colors, feel free to send me a PM :)

Just a note, even if you use ITX board, this case still offers some benefits, like support for 3 slot gpu, good AIO support and really good ventilation and thus performance.

PM Incoming,

i wanna avoid AIO getting aios here that are worth it are a pain in the ass and i wanna keep gpu clearance up to help make life easier (the shorter high end gpus are usually over priced to hell here :( )

that being said i could just sell the itx if i get one and proberly get a atx for the price of it :)

snailonni

Trash Compacter
Aug 27, 2019
So I tried this micromesh method recommended by Dan case for air turbulence problem. It worked! It's not perfect, but the sound is no longer as aggressive and is more bearable.
I put four of them on which covered most vents on the side panel and see a 2-3 degree increase in temp. (from 82 avg to 84 avg) I think it is worth it!
These are the ones i used. They also prevent dust :)

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
So I tried this micromesh method recommended by Dan case for air turbulence problem. It worked! It's not perfect, but the sound is no longer as aggressive and is more bearable.
I put four of them on which covered most vents on the side panel and see a 2-3 degree increase in temp. (from 82 avg to 84 avg) I think it is worth it!
These are the ones i used. They also prevent dust :)

That is really interesting, I need to try this!

PM Incoming,

i wanna avoid AIO getting aios here that are worth it are a pain in the ass and i wanna keep gpu clearance up to help make life easier (the shorter high end gpus are usually over priced to hell here :( )

that being said i could just sell the itx if i get one and proberly get a atx for the price of it :)

You have a PM!

And also, to everyone interested in B-stock units, please PM me, I have taken photos so you can see each case individually and chose, and the price is only 140 USD! Defect are barely visible.

Linero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2017
I am finally back home, and I got some time to unbox my new favourite case and take a quick look. As a result, I am not going to give a thorough review here.

I am stunned by how nice the silver finish is! So, I am glad I picked that colour up. It's all round great and I couldn't be sadder that I am not going to be building anything in it soon. I wish I had the money right away, but oh well.

I have one strong concern though. The side panel is, indeed as others have pointed out, not as rigid as I would have liked. I am mainly going to be using this case in a backpack and moving around with it. Could someone please advise me whether it would be safe to, say, put it in a backpack and go on a plane? There will definitely be some weight on top of it. I can't imagine it being anything too heavy though. What do you think?

ZivZulander

Trash Compacter
Jan 12, 2020
Haven't had a chance to actually use my build this week much past installing Windows until this morning. Some issues so far:

- It looks like I'm experiencing problems with the riser, as well. I was initially getting random restarts/power off, and unplugged the riser cable to make sure it's secure. Unfortunately I'm no longer getting video output at all (debug light on board for no GPU output lit up, as well) and it seems the cable is separating, as noted earlier. I have a 180 degree riser that I used to test (that does work) so I think it is indeed a bad riser. I already ordered a replacement riser (the Lesozoh riser linked to earlier), though it probably will take a while to get here since it's coming from China.

- More particular to my setup, I'm sure, but the USB 3.0 cable when inserted into the header on my board (MSI B450M Mortar Titanium) gets squished by the backplate of my GPU. Solved this by getting a right angle adapter.

- Do SSDs need to have holes on the side to use the included adapter? My Team SSD doesn't have holes on the sides, just the back. Ended up mounting it using magnets just below the PSU, which works for me, so not a big deal:

IMG_20200301_071434.jpg

Last edited: