Completed SFFtime presents: P-ATX, the 9L case with ATX and AIO support!

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
I have similar observation about the side panel. It's just because of the high number of cutouts for ventilation making the flexural rigiridy a bit lowr (especially towards the free edges that slot into the groove. It's not so much a problem near the back and bottom, where the bent flanges help out quite a bit with rigidity). I think this is a fair tradeoff in exchange for better ventilation (and so far my experience with this case has been very good regarding temperature)

If I may suggest an improvement for the next revision, it would be to add a second screw to mount the side panels from the bottom of the case, securing the panel onto the floor of the case. This should help the side panel settle into the groove a bit more securely at the top, near the curved edge of the faceplate (right now the panel is only held from one screw at the back, so if you are not careful when handling the case, it is possible to grab the case by the front part, and pulling the side panel down, away from the groove)

I think this could be accomplished without adding too much cost to the BOM (one extra hole or notch on the bottom flange of each side panel, and a corresponding set of two holes on the floor piece of the case, with threaded inserts)

xKannibale

Average Stuffer
Feb 5, 2020
I have similar observation about the side panel. It's just because of the high number of cutouts for ventilation making the flexural rigiridy a bit lowr (especially towards the free edges that slot into the groove. It's not so much a problem near the back and bottom, where the bent flanges help out quite a bit with rigidity). I think this is a fair tradeoff in exchange for better ventilation (and so far my experience with this case has been very good regarding temperature)

If I may suggest an improvement for the next revision, it would be to add a second screw to mount the side panels from the bottom of the case, securing the panel onto the floor of the case. This should help the side panel settle into the groove a bit more securely at the top, near the curved edge of the faceplate (right now the panel is only held from one screw at the back, so if you are not careful when handling the case, it is possible to grab the case by the front part, and pulling the side panel down, away from the groove)

I think this could be accomplished without adding too much cost to the BOM (one extra hole or notch on the bottom flange of each side panel, and a corresponding set of two holes on the floor piece of the case, with threaded inserts)

I don't think this would help, you can sort of try this yourself. Hold the bottom of the side panel and push it hard against the top. Then try pushing the top in, it still flexes down. It's not the amount of mounting pressure. The top part of the case will bend so slightly upwards letting the panel slide past the panel slot. The only way to fix this problem is to add a support bracket of some kind like in my previous post. This completely eliminates the problem all together.

xKannibale

Average Stuffer
Feb 5, 2020
Maybe an optional bracket can be purchased that has cut outs for the 3 60mm fans? So you can screw on the bracket to the top, held tight to the case by the fan screws and still use the fans at the same time? Then just include a few bolts + nuts for people that don't use the fans but want the extra panel support.

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
I don't think this would help, you can sort of try this yourself. Hold the bottom of the side panel and push it hard against the top. Then try pushing the top in, it still flexes down. It's not the amount of mounting pressure. The top part of the case will bend so slightly upwards letting the panel slide past the panel slot. The only way to fix this problem is to add a support bracket of some kind like in my previous post. This completely eliminates the problem all together.

I don't have this specific problem with my case. The side panel settle well enough and deep enough into the groove that it cannot pop out just by applying some pressure perpendicularly to the panel edge. I suspect maybe the powdercoat finish may be reducing the depth of the groove enough that it may reduce panel engagement into the slot (my panel can be pulled down as stated above, but it seems unrelated to the problem you're having)

Edit: worth it to note that only the white faceplate is powdercoated. Black/silver versions are anodised. Can someone else with a black/silver case chime in whether they are having problem with the panel settling into the slot? I've only got a sample of one, but I want other people with the white case to check this and report if they have similar issue

Arcticwarrior80

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 16, 2020
Hi @ riba2233
I ordered a couple of days ago (you shipped yesterday #10027) but something just occured to me re your local 25% Croatian sales taxes for UK shipments. The UK is no longer in the EU and on Page 1 or 2 of this thread you state Price is +25% for EU. What can be done about this for UK customers as we left the EU 3 weeks ago officially? Advertising this will make your prices more attractive to the UK audience as i've will be hit with 2 lots of taxes unnecessarilly by the time this clears customs in guessing. Out VAT is only 20% though thankfully! Once you have investigated fully abd found this to be true could youi look to credit me back the $41.25 in some way for the order place on the 19th of this month?

I'm really looking forward to the case arriving in a few days and posting pictures of the build process on here. Also looking forward to your other prototype on the website. I would have liked the 92mm AIO bracket but sadly that was out of stock. Is it really required or are customers just working around it with screws and washers in black I wonder?

Best Regards

The Brexit crew.

Reactions: ZivZulander

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Hi @ riba2233
I ordered a couple of days ago (you shipped yesterday #10027) but something just occured to me re your local 25% Croatian sales taxes for UK shipments. The UK is no longer in the EU and on Page 1 or 2 of this thread you state Price is +25% for EU. What can be done about this for UK customers as we left the EU 3 weeks ago officially? Advertising this will make your prices more attractive to the UK audience as i've will be hit with 2 lots of taxes unnecessarilly by the time this clears customs in guessing. Out VAT is only 20% though thankfully! Once you have investigated fully abd found this to be true could youi look to credit me back the $41.25 in some way for the order place on the 19th of this month?

I'm really looking forward to the case arriving in a few days and posting pictures of the build process on here. Also looking forward to your other prototype on the website. I would have liked the 92mm AIO bracket but sadly that was out of stock. Is it really required or are customers just working around it with screws and washers in black I wonder?

Best Regards

The Brexit crew.

Dear Brexit crew.

Nothing changes until Dec 31st. Until then, all import/export arrangements remains the same, it's as if we never left (and we haven't, not until the end of the year)

P/S as per above, you will not get hit with the 20% tax plus 8 quid handling charge

xKannibale

Average Stuffer
Feb 5, 2020
New PCIE riser installed. Actually really glad I bought this. I understand to keep costs down you have to ship with lower quality risers. But I would say the upgrade is definitely worth it for those who buy this case. Mounting holes fit perfectly, GPU feels a lot more secure and stable now. No longer getting that low fps + stutters / system lock ups.

Intrepid_Cosmonaut

Average Stuffer
Sep 26, 2018
New PCIE riser installed. Actually really glad I bought this. I understand to keep costs down you have to ship with lower quality risers. But I would say the upgrade is definitely worth it for those who buy this case. Mounting holes fit perfectly, GPU feels a lot more secure and stable now. No longer getting that low fps + stutters / system lock ups.

That looks like a big improvement, sadly i cant find that riser you purchased anywhere that ships to Australia.

snailonni

Trash Compacter
Aug 27, 2019
Did any of you had issue with motherboard nail? I can't screw it all the way in(the black one with larger head). Am I using the wrong one

M-jeri

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 20, 2016

Where did you get this?

xKannibale

Average Stuffer
Feb 5, 2020
Where did you get this?

Amazon.ca. Haven't been able to find it even on Amazon.com. So that or maybe ebay is probably your only option. Do note that using this riser takes away the ability to use the "3 slot GPU feature with an itx board" just because the connector is so solid, it can't bend that hard of an angle. Although, I'd think at least 90% of 3 slot GPUs wouldn't fit even with the standard riser because there's a 3 slot GPU limit of 127mm in height using this case, and most are much taller than that.

So if you plan on sticking with a 2 slot GPU, then this is perfect. If you can't find this exact model, just look for twin-axial pcie riser cable. And make sure the mounting holes are 104-105mm apart.

Reactions: M-jeri

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Hi guys, let me address a few points, sorry I wasn't more active the past few days:

1. weak spot on the top of the left side panel - this "compromise" had to be made to allow for mounting 60mm fans, they are really close to the panel when installed, so left no place for the flange. Simplest "fix" would be just to add at least one fan so the panel has some extra leverage. But I agree, I think this is mostly pronounced with white cases.

BTW kudos for using HDD bracket for the extra support, I would have never thought of this ?

2. UK and taxes - yes, nothing changes until 2021, you pay tax only to me, and there are no import charges at all.

3. N-ATX - sorry, no timeline yet, I am working on some other things but it most definitely will come

4. EZDIY riser - nice find, I really didn't expect another riser with same mounting points (104 mm apart, offset few mm left from the connector). But as said, it limits compatibility with atx boards and 3 slot gpu's.
Also, that is the main reason why I picked the provided riser, it has thin cable and bends just the right way to allow for this kind of compatibility, it actually wasn't too cheap.

That said, I send the inquiry to the riser seller to make a custom version, so I hope this will be a solution for guys who have problems.

mr.squishy

Average Stuffer
Aug 5, 2019
Hi guys, let me address a few points, sorry I wasn't more active the past few days:

1. weak spot on the top of the left side panel - this "compromise" had to be made to allow for mounting 60mm fans, they are really close to the panel when installed, so left no place for the flange. Simplest "fix" would be just to add at least one fan so the panel has some extra leverage. But I agree, I think this is mostly pronounced with white cases.

BTW kudos for using HDD bracket for the extra support, I would have never thought of this ?

2. UK and taxes - yes, nothing changes until 2021, you pay tax only to me, and there are no import charges at all.

3. N-ATX - sorry, no timeline yet, I am working on some other things but it most definitely will come

4. EZDIY riser - nice find, I really didn't expect another riser with same mounting points (104 mm apart, offset few mm left from the connector). But as said, it limits compatibility with atx boards and 3 slot gpu's.
Also, that is the main reason why I picked the provided riser, it has thin cable and bends just the right way to allow for this kind of compatibility, it actually wasn't too cheap.

That said, I send the inquiry to the riser seller to make a custom version, so I hope this will be a solution for guys who have problems.
Riba being a superhero as always!
The riser wasn't too hard to find, my Google-Fu is very strong.
I also found a 20cm riser with similar mounting holes but I've never heard of the manufacturer so I'm suspicious of it's quality/longevity:

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Riba being a superhero as always!
The riser wasn't too hard to find, my Google-Fu is very strong.
I also found a 20cm riser with similar mounting holes but I've never heard of the manufacturer so I'm suspicious of it's quality/longevity:

?

I wouldn't be too worried, they probably share the same OEM.

I am starting to think about making risers myself more and more lol.

Reactions: ZivZulander