Completed SFFtime presents: P-ATX, the 9L case with ATX and AIO support!

Clipz98

Chassis Packer
Oct 23, 2019
Hello @riba2233,

Thank you for your work. Any chance of getting this case with front USB-C instead of USB-A?
Username checks out...

In all seriousness though, unless you're using an ASUS mobo with those "Type-E" connectors, there's not really a "true standardized" header to properly do that as far as I'm aware. I mean this without using a workaround like adapters for the existing 3.0 headers (which won't fully satisfy all the requirements for something like 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C, etc.) of your mobo. Hopefully that changes soon.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Hello @riba2233,

Thank you for your work. Any chance of getting this case with front USB-C instead of USB-A?

You are welcome, and thank you!

Lol, I saw your username and kind of assumed you'd ask that :)

I do not plan to include them in near future, I have many reasons for that, but I would like to hear your side of the story, why would you need them?

usbcfan

Case Bender
Dec 8, 2019
You are welcome, and thank you!

Lol, I saw your username and kind of assumed you'd ask that :)

I do not plan to include them in near future, I have many reasons for that, but I would like to hear your side of the story, why would you need them?

My reasoning is rather simple: I like to use standardized and uniform connectors/cables. USB-C is used by my phone, laptop, DSLRs, external GPU, USB-Sticks, HDD-Dock, etc.. What is your reasoning for not including at least one USB-C port?

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
My reasoning is rather simple: I like to use standardized and uniform connectors/cables. USB-C is used by my phone, laptop, DSLRs, external GPU, USB-Sticks, HDD-Dock, etc.. What is your reasoning for not including at least one USB-C port?

Yeah that's the deal, problem is that the front usb on cases doesn't allow most of the features that usb c offers. No high power, no display output, no pcie lanes. It offers exactly the same as the standard usb a 3.0 so it's just the matter of the form of the connector, not additional features. Most mobile phones come with usb c to a cable, and other devices that use usb c to connect to pc are incredibly rare. And the final nail in the coffin is the mbo connectivity, you can either use standard internal usb a connector, but instead of two ports you only get one, or you need to have special e type connector which is still rare. Of and the final point is the cost of such solution, you can't have only usb c, so you have to provide usb a connectors, and add usb c on top of that. And very few people are actually going to use it.

TL;DR - it doesn't offer any benefit over using simple adapter like this one:

prayogahs

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 21, 2019
Just to confirm, is this the smallest ATX case currently available that supports an expansion card?
I think this case, Cerberus X and Core G3 are the current selection of cases that support ATX boards with full height slots for GPUs. There are probably cases that support ATX and only half-height expansion slots (OEM cases?) but I dont have much knowledge about them.

Last edited:
Reactions: riba2233

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Just to confirm, is this the smallest ATX case currently available that supports an expansion card?

There is this:

But it's just a tad smaller, and it only allows for one slot gpu which is basically useless since you can't watercool in that case, and it also does not allow for internal psu, at least not any standard format.

Linero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2017
Do you actually own all what you just listed? To answer your question. This is still quite a niche requirement, that will result in an unwanted higher cost for most others who will not be using it. Which can also be solved by third party solutions that will fit your needs much better, again assuming you own all the above, than just one front USB C port.

Last edited:

KingofKings696

Case Bender
New User
Nov 29, 2019
Manual looks very good. I would possibly add a small section for the 92mm aio and the changes needed for that since it needs an adapter bracket.

Reactions: dealda

zugok

Caliper Novice
Nov 29, 2019
www.artistebot.com
In Rijeka!

My wife is from Zagreb, my brother in law had a house on Krk, I have been to Rijeka only once a few years ago.

Just discovered your case, looks great! Would really like to see an example w the 3950x and RTX 2080 in it! Keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Reactions: riba2233

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Thank you for the comments guys, I will make separate manual for the accessories.

Also good news for someone who wants to use TRX40 platform in P-ATX with 120mm AIO (which can cool up to 200w without excessive noise):

Basically you can limit 3960/3970x to 180w without losing much performance. Also this is the TRX40 board which I recommend for this case:

Why? Standard ATX size, pci-e slot in a first position allowing for taller gpus like 1080ti and 2070 super mini from zotac or powercolor red dragon 5700xt, and good vrm cooling that will work well with ventilation on the top of the case. Also USB 3.0 internal connector is in a good position and compatible with 120mm radiator. Only problem, just 6 usb-A connectors on the back.

I will post an update for the manufacturing process later today.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Thank you for the comments guys, I will make separate manual for the accessories.

Also good news for someone who wants to use TRX40 platform in P-ATX with 120mm AIO (which can cool up to 200w without excessive noise):

Basically you can limit 3960/3970x to 180w without losing much performance. Also this is the TRX40 board which I recommend for this case:

Why? Standard ATX size, pci-e slot in a first position allowing for taller gpus like 1080ti and 2070 super mini from zotac or powercolor red dragon 5700xt, and good vrm cooling that will work well with ventilation on the top of the case. Also USB 3.0 internal connector is in a good position and compatible with 120mm radiator. Only problem, just 6 usb-A connectors on the back.

I will post an update for the manufacturing process later today.

Good to know. I think it would be possible to cool a 3970X at stock with a custom loop with a single 120x38 rad like the EK CoolStream PE 120 and some low-profile right angle fittings. Unfortunately, there are no pump/block combo units for TR. There was this concept from Alphacool, but never saw the light of day sadly.

Unless it's possible to fit the smallest pump you could find somewhere in the case, but I doubt it.

Other than that, what about something like the Zalman LQ320, which I'm currently using -- 120x38 rad, rated for 340W TDP, uses standard Asetek mounting and has swivel fittings at the CPU end, but no swivel fittings at the rad, would that fit?