Completed SFFtime presents: P-ATX, the 9L case with ATX and AIO support!

Bowspin

Caliper Novice
Oct 16, 2019
Sounds like a good price?

What about GPU?

Still wondering and waiting for a good price. I know it would lock me to a 2slot one. It's so hard because all the components are tied together and it's especially true for sff, but the case is really so hard to get by since the availability is so volatile, and I don't even know what would be the best for my requirements (frequent air travels) it's basically made me crazy for the last month or so. Also I won't be able to make the build before end of December, early january.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Still wondering and waiting for a good price. I know it would lock me to a 2slot one. It's so hard because all the components are tied together and it's especially true for sff, but the case is really so hard to get by since the availability is so volatile, and I don't even know what would be the best for my requirements (frequent air travels) it's basically made me crazy for the last month or so. Also I won't be able to make the build before end of December, early january.

Well did maybe picked a model, like what class of gpu you aim for? I'm asking so I can give a recommendation for best fit and thermals.

Bowspin

Caliper Novice
Oct 16, 2019
Well did maybe picked a model, like what class of gpu you aim for? I'm asking so I can give a recommendation for best fit and thermals.

if a rather silent and cool 5700xt fits in there it would probably be my go to, otherwise 2070 I guess. Thanks for your time and replies by the way !

KidWeaBoo

Average Stuffer
Dec 12, 2018
Ok, I could make a wooden one that attaches to the holes where the top 60mm fans would go, would that be an option? I would limit the number of 60mm fans to just one.
Sounds great! Let me know how much it'll cost and what the timeframe will be! My wallet will be ready!

Bowspin

Caliper Novice
Oct 16, 2019
Hello it's me again ! I was wondering how would fit a 5700xt nitro + (309 x 135 x 49mm) and what would be the other componants limitations, as I look the compatibility chart it looks like it would prevent any 2.5" drive and it wouldn't fit in height?

and what about the XFX Thicc III Ultra? (giant one, 315 x 131 x 57)

I'm scared also that it would fit theoretically but that the huge size would make it impossible to put to the case or plug it.

thanks !

Last edited:

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Sounds great! Let me know how much it'll cost and what the timeframe will be! My wallet will be ready!

Thanks, I will contact you via PM once I have cases ready.

Hello it's me again ! I was wondering how would fit a 5700xt nitro + (309 x 135 x 49mm) and what would be the other components limitations, as I look the compatibility chart it looks like it would prevent any 2.5" drive and it wouldn't fit in height?

and what about the XFX Thicc III Ultra? (giant one, 315 x 131 x 57)

I'm scared also that it would fit theoretically but that the huge size would make it impossible to put to the case or plug it.

thanks !

Ok, so if you use the MBO you mentioned you are limited to 2-slot cards with up to 115 mm height. Unfortunately none of the cards you mentioned meet those requirements.

5700XT models that do are: reference model, asrock challenger, and powercolor dual fan (this one allows for 120mm aio)

2070S models that do are: reference model, gigabyte windforce (model without 3x, this is my recommendation), ZOTAC SUPER AMP and twin fan, INNO3D TWIN X2, EVGA XC and BLACK GAMING and all the blower models.

All of the mentioned GPU's will allow for 2.5" drive mount.

Bowspin

Caliper Novice
Oct 16, 2019
Oooh sorry for the confusion I was implying with an itx board as I ended up not taking the bundle for more card room

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Oooh sorry for the confusion I was implying with an itx board as I ended up not taking the bundle for more card room

Aha ok sorry :) With ITX you can use triple slot, but max height is limited to 127 mm. Or you can use 2 slot gpu with up to 134 mm tall, such as powercolor red dragon, and that one also allows for 120mm aio.

Last edited:

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
I just learned about this case. It's crazy what you've managed to do with 9L, amazing work. I guess the main catch is GPU length. What's the most powerful GPU currently that can fit with a 120mm AIO?

I'm guessing with the 92mm AIO, you can barely fit a full-sized 270mm FE card, correct? But how much can you cool with the 92mm AIO? I'd be curious to see a test with the 3950X as this case has amazing AIO airflow.

Last question, what is the max combined AIO+fan clearance? Will the H80i fit with a single 25mm fan?

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
I just learned about this case. It's crazy what you've managed to do with 9L, amazing work. I guess the main catch is GPU length. What's the most powerful GPU currently that can fit with a 120mm AIO?

I'm guessing with the 92mm AIO, you can barely fit a full-sized 270mm FE card, correct? But how much can you cool with the 92mm AIO? I'd be curious to see a test with the 3950X as this case has amazing AIO airflow.

Last question, what is the max combined AIO+fan clearance? Will the H80i fit with a single 25mm fan?

I think the Zotac 2070 Super Mini is probably the highest performing card that will still allow an AIO (there might be other short 2070 super models too, but I haven't done much searching for those). It seems anything more powerful (2080, 2080S, 2080 Ti) are all massive cards with really really long PCBs

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com

Hi, and thank you! :)

With 120 mm aio you can fit 1080ti mini, 2070 super mini, and powercolor 5700xt dual and red dragon, those are the most powerful.

With 92 aio you can comfortably fit reference length GPU, no problem. And yes, with this case you have better cooling with 92mm aio because it has unrestricted airflow from front to back, and you can use more powerful 92 mm aio. I think it should handle 3900x and 3950x at stock, they both consume around 120-140w at full tilt when stock. I would like to confirm that myself but I don't have 92mm aio yet.

Max clearance is 66 mm, and H80 with one fan would fit technically, but in reality it can't because tubes don't have enough room to bend. So max radiator thickness is 30 mm. But you can use 27 mm radiator with 38 mm thick fan.

I think the Zotac 2070 Super Mini is probably the highest performing card that will still allow an AIO (there might be other short 2070 super models too, but I haven't done much searching for those). It seems anything more powerful (2080, 2080S, 2080 Ti) are all massive cards with really really long PCBs

Yep :) I doubt they will make mini versions of anything more powerful than 2070 super, and that's maybe for the best.

Reactions: QuantumBraced

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Hi, and thank you! :)

With 120 mm aio you can fit 1080ti mini, 2070 super mini, and powercolor 5700xt dual and red dragon, those are the most powerful.

With 92 aio you can comfortably fit reference length GPU, no problem. And yes, with this case you have better cooling with 92mm aio because it has unrestricted airflow from front to back, and you can use more powerful 92 mm aio. I think it should handle 3900x and 3950x at stock, they both consume around 120-140w at full tilt when stock. I would like to confirm that myself but I don't have 92mm aio yet.

Max clearance is 66 mm, and H80 with one fan would fit technically, but in reality it can't because tubes don't have enough room to bend. So max radiator thickness is 30 mm. But you can use 27 mm radiator with 38 mm thick fan.

Yep :) I doubt they will make mini versions of anything more powerful than 2070 super, and that's maybe for the best.

Thanks for the information. I suspect with the 92mm AIO + NF-A9 full 92x25mm fan and total passthrough airflow, you should be able to cool any mainstream CPU at stock settings. It would be loud for something like the 9900K, but it should handle it, especially if you only use it for gaming.

The thing is though, this case has a bit of an existential issue the way I see it, because if you want something this tiny, you'll just go ITX. And if ITX is not an option, you're either:

1) Going Threadripper. In which case you'll struggle with cooling even with a 120mm AIO, and you'll also be limited in your GPU choice. Also, lots of professionals use expansion slots.

2) Going SLI/expansion cards, which doesn't work here.

3) Need lots of memory -- not as much of a factor anymore since you can get 64GB now on ITX.

4) Want to go with a high-end ATX board with a beefy VRM for overclocking, but then you're limited by cooling options. And also, a lot of ITX boards are excellent overclockers nowadays anyway.

I emphasize "a bit" from the earlier statement because I do think there is a market for this case, I just think it's limited. But hey, I guess all cases here are kind of niche... I see a few very real use cases:

1) You're looking for ultra SFF on a budget. mATX/ATX boards are cheaper than ITX, so that would save you some money, plus the case fits the box cooler and then you have full GPU clearance. And extra DIMMs means you can start off with less memory.

2) You're hellbent on building the smallest TR system possible.

3) You want to store/use a lot of computers in a limited space and you want full ATX compatibility.

4) You do want to go ITX, but want to have the option for ATX, so you get this case for peace of mind.

Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud... I didn't mean to diminish the utility of the case, I do think it's a winner, just has a bit of an identity struggle. OptimumTech would want to review it for sure, maybe even Linus.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vesko

SpringerTheNerd

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 7, 2017
Thanks for the information. I suspect with the 92mm AIO + NF-A9 full 92x25mm fan and total passthrough airflow, you should be able to cool any mainstream CPU at stock settings. It would be loud for something like the 9900K, but it should handle it, especially if you only use it for gaming.

The thing is though, this case has a bit of an existential issue the way I see it, because if you want something this tiny, you'll just go ITX. And if ITX is not an option, you're either:

1) Going Threadripper. In which case you'll struggle with cooling even with a 120mm AIO, and you'll also be limited in your GPU choice. Also, lots of professionals use expansion slots.

3) Need lots of memory -- not as much of a factor anymore since you can get 64GB now on ITX.

4) Want to go with a high-end ATX board with a beefy VRM for overclocking, but then you're limited by cooling options. And also, a lot of ITX boards are excellent overclockers nowadays anyway.

I emphasize "a bit" from the earlier statement because I do think there is a market for this case, I just think it's limited. But hey, I guess all cases here are kind of niche... I see a few very real use cases:

1) You're looking for ultra SFF on a budget. mATX/ATX boards are cheaper than ITX, so that would save you some money, plus the case fits the box cooler and then you have full GPU clearance. And extra DIMMs means you can start off with less memory.

3) You want to store/use a lot of computers in a limited space and you want full ATX compatibility.

4) You do want to go ITX, but want to have the option for ATX, so you get this case for peace of mind.

Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud... I didn't mean to diminish the utility of the case, I do think it's a winner, just has a bit of an identity struggle. OptimumTech would want to review it for sure, maybe even Linus.

For me it's an easy choice.
I already have an ATX system with a i9 9900k.
I'd have no problem getting a new itx Mobo to downsize but I already have a 4x8 memory kit and I don't want to deal with selling it to buy a 2x16 kit.
My PC is already externally cooled with a Mo-ra3 420 rad so cooling is not even a worry.
When I make the switch I'll get a HUGE chunk of my desk back and my beautiful PC will still be on display and not on the floor.

Honestly I have never been more excited for a new chassis as I am for this one. It's literally perfect and checks off every single on of my boxes. My PC will finally make absolutely no noise and there are zero compromises

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com

I mostly agree with you, and I see it this way - you just have more options. Want to save money or don't have access to ITX boards? Just go with (m)atx board. Want to use 3 slot gpu? Use ITX board. For example in my country the selection and prices for ITX boards are really bad.

Also I wanted to make the case with really high airflow and good thermal performance, so that's another benefit, and I think it also has the looks :)

Linero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2017
The thing is though, this case has a bit of an existential issue the way I see it,
You are missing something here. Not everyone is interested in being so extreme in going as small as possible at the cost of... well, added cost, and less functionality. ATX motherboards are better in every way, and with the size the size that we are able to achieve here. There is almost no reason for me to ever consider any other case. I also think about future upgrade-ability and how limitless it will be exchanging parts from potential opportunities. I don't want to pass up 99% of black friday deals, as an example, because "nope, this will not fit. That will not fit either".

My sizing criteria is simple. Does the chassis fit in an average backpack? If yes, then it checks the one and only box in that regard for me.

Reactions: riba2233

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Okay guys, you've presented some additional compelling scenarios, e.g. if you already have an ATX system and want to downsize, and if you just want more/cheaper options.

I will say though, as a a partial counterargument, you still need an SFX PSU, and a 120mm AIO/shorter GPU or 92mm AIO/limited CPU/OC headroom. So other than the board and memory, you're still facing most of the same limitations of SFF, including a relatively expensive case. But fair enough, not as much. I would love to see a review soon.

Also, why the combination of steel and aluminum, why not all aluminum?

Last edited:

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Okay guys, you've presented some additional compelling scenarios, e.g. if you already have an ATX system and want to downsize, and if you just want more/cheaper options.

I will say though, as a a partial counterargument, you still need an SFX PSU, and a 120mm AIO/shorter GPU or 92mm AIO/limited CPU/OC headroom. So other than the board and memory, you're still facing most of the same limitations of SFF, including a relatively expensive case. But fair enough, not as much. I would love to see a review soon.

Yes, that's why I will have more models in future that will allow for ATX supply and even better compatibility, but they'll be bigger of course.

Why not 100% aluminum? In short, it's more expensive but without any real benefits, and the case should be slightly bigger since I would have to use thicker panels and with loser radii. This console case style requires more material than sandwich style.

MartinElectronics

Chassis Packer
Nov 29, 2019
Hi ! Are the cases already sold out ?
Given the specs on your website I should be able to fit an RTX 2080 super ventus (wich is only 268mm long) with a 92mm AIO, right?
Would a 92mm AIO be ok for overclocking a core i5 9600k in this case?
What colors will be available?

Thanks ;)

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019

Aluminium is a lot more expensive and lower bulk tensile strength

Also, for all your arguments and counter arguments, you're forgetting a massive one: personal preference. I'm getting one *simply because I like the look* and for many people it's an extremely important consideration.

Also don't underestimate 120mm AIOs. It's perfectly capable of cooling a 9900K direct die (you'll be surprised at the extra margins you have running with direct die contact)

Last edited:
Reactions: riba2233