Completed SFFtime presents: P-ATX, the 9L case with ATX and AIO support!

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Ever noticed you can rub some wool on a piece of plastic and build up a static charge?

Also, you can powdercoat non-metallic parts, so you don't need the part to be metals in order to apply a powder finish, if the part is pre-heated in an autoclave, you can apply the powder finish without statically charged powder and a grounded component.

In fact, this process is used to powdercoat plastic parts (there are a couple types of plastic with melting temperature high enough to withstand the powder curing process)

Thanks for the clarification, it's good to know!

Reactions: CountNoctua

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
Hey guys, I need your help.

I got the panels back from the powdercoating, and while they look much better now, the paint is too thick and now they wont go into their channels. I designed the case with tolerances for only one layer of the paint, I didn't want to much wiggle space so that the panels are firm once they are inserted.

Now, the best solution I have so far is to attach the right panel with magnetic strips, because it's only for the cover, there is the main frame behind it, and attach the left panel the intended way, using channels.

Would you be ok with that option? Thanks!
I actually dont mind Magnets. Just get quality magnetic strips that is strong enough to hold the panel (both magnet and adhesive backing). If you are going this rough, also put out a guide on how to properly attach it (if you are not attaching it, like prepping the surface with alcohol to remove all residue that might affect the adhesive)

Reactions: CountNoctua

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Yeah, I'm doubtful on magnets, I'm using the steck's glass panels just because I transport it to and from work and I had issues with the panels falling of. Please, if you have to do magnets, get the strongest ones possible!

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
I take it that sending back the panels again to the powder coating company is not an option? It seems to me they messed up twice. But in that case it may be best to find another company, take the economic hit, and raise the prise on the case by $20 or so to compensate.

M-jeri

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 20, 2016
I take it that sending back the panels again to the powder coating company is not an option? It seems to me they messed up twice. But in that case it may be best to find another company, take the economic hit, and raise the prise on the case by $20 or so to compensate.

Even though I hate agreeing to this, but I do.

First batch itself a mess, you never recover from that.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017

Yeah, really, the company should take responsibility for the first screw up and strip the panels. Hope this hiccup doesn't screw up the project too bad.

Illoominatty

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 14, 2017
Thank you for support and feedback guys, I am putting all of my effort to find the optimal solution, and I will tell you more as soon as I have new info. ?
Thank you and if possible I'd still buy one as is and take care of the paint job myself.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Ok guys, I have made the final decision. I will get new front/top panels that will allow for more tolerance. I just don't want to ship cases with compromises to you, so I hope you can wait a bit more so I get everything sorted out.

Thank you and if possible I'd still buy one as is and take care of the paint job myself.

I hope it wont be necessary if you can wait a little bit more, thanks!

Regarding powdercoating and whose fault it is, it's a bit more complicated and I don't have enough data yet to be the judge. If I manage to find out what exactly happened, I will surely tell you.

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
Well, I just found out the site hasn’t given me notifications to this thread since late October, so I just caught up on the powder coating mess... That’s pretty awful workmanship on the powder coating company’s part, and concerning to say the least.

The good thing is that you caught it, and are proving you won’t be sending out a substandard product. Cheers to you for that, and I wish you the best of luck figuring out the fix! We will be here eagerly waiting. :)

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
Got my case ? Shipping and packing were excellent.
I knew it was going to be a slim case, but it looks longer/taller than you would expect in person (which it should, since it can accommodate ATX boards with that low volume). Very cool, and not going to take up much desk space.

Will post pics when build is done or maybe after it's painted.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Got my case ? Shipping and packing were excellent.
I knew it was going to be a slim case, but it looks longer/taller than you would expect in person (which it should, since it can accommodate ATX boards with that low volume). Very cool, and not going to take up much desk space.

Will post pics when build is done or maybe after it's painted.

What? How did you get one so soon?

Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
What? How did you get one so soon?

Probably negotiated with riba to get one of the prototypes.

Yes, a couple of weeks ago riba mentioned if someone wanted to order as early as possible, so I asked specifically about unpainted or imperfect cases, since I'd be repainting it for a thematic color scheme. It might take me a week or three to get that done, so likely I'll only have mine ready by the time others start getting their more polished units. :)

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Yes, a couple of weeks ago riba mentioned if someone wanted to order as early as possible, so I asked specifically about unpainted or imperfect cases, since I'd be repainting it for a thematic color scheme. It might take me a week or three to get that done, so likely I'll only have mine ready by the time others start getting their more polished units. :)

Epic! Can't wait to see it!

Linero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2017
Well, I just found out the site hasn’t given me notifications to this thread since late October, so I just caught up on the powder coating mess... That’s pretty awful workmanship on the powder coating company’s part, and concerning to say the least.

The good thing is that you caught it, and are proving you won’t be sending out a substandard product. Cheers to you for that, and I wish you the best of luck figuring out the fix! We will be here eagerly waiting. :)
Same... Why did that happen? I had to read three pages of replies just now.