Completed SFFtime presents: P-ATX, the 9L case with ATX and AIO support!

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Thanks for the update. Pity about the panels, I have had some similar issues in the past with powder coated parts, and sometimes they stem from impurities in the spray nozzle or defective nozzles. Sometimes it could also be improper handling of the parts.

Hopefully you can get the shop to sort this out on their own dime (it is their fault after all)

Meanwhile the rest of us will wait a little longer

Sure they will, thanks! ?

Whoa, it even turned out better than I thought it would! Bummer about the powder coating but rest look seriously great!

Hoping this run lasts until January, if all goes well my financial situation will allow me to pull the trigger on the case by then! This is one of my top contenders, great work! :)

Thank you! Wait till you see the texture on the aluminum part, these picture look too compressed, they don't show the details properly.

You will be able to get the case, if not in the first batch, then in the next one ?

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Ok, the website is up at:

sfftime.com

Of course this is not the final versions, still need to tweak a few thing, but please tell me what do you think? I have also completed the compatibility guide, you can find it on the product site at the webshop.

Oh, and one important thing, I want to offer my customers the best value for the price, so I decided to drop the price to 165 USD for the silver case, and 170 for the black one ?

Clipz98

Chassis Packer
Oct 23, 2019

sfftime.com

Of course this is not the final versions, still need to tweak a few thing, but please tell me what do you think? I have also completed the compatibility guide, you can find it on the product site at the webshop.

Oh, and one important thing, I want to offer my customers the best value for the price, so I decided to drop the price to 165 USD for the silver case, and 170 for the black one ?
Looks great! And even better prices!

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017

sfftime.com

Looks great, have you discussed what type of packaging you're considering?

M-jeri

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 20, 2016

sfftime.com

can you share the proto or photos of the packaging?
I understand this is not a premium- premium case in SFF world. But still interested in knowing that.

edit: website will do. for me, a nobody. It is supposed to make the ordering process easier to do and track. The backend is what matters.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Looks great, have you discussed what type of packaging you're considering?
can you share the proto or photos of the packaging?
I understand this is not a premium- premium case in SFF world. But still interested in knowing that.

edit: website will do. for me, a nobody. It is supposed to make the ordering process easier to do and track. The backend is what matters.

I don't have the pictures of the packaging yet, the outer boxes are still being made nut they should be done soon. Now the packaging will be nice, but nothing too fancy. There will be a thin inner two-piece box, then this:

And then a 5-ply outer box. I think that should do it.

Website looks kinda broken in Firefox 70.0.1 on Ubuntu 18.04, but looks great in a Webkit-based browser. Just thought you should know. No idea if more current FF versions fix that. :)

Well I'm only using latest FF, so maybe you could try that? If it stays the same, could you please give me the SS? Thanks!

M-jeri

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 20, 2016
Hope you know the font sizes are all over the place in your website.

and Thanks for the packaging shots.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Hey guys, I need your help.

I got the panels back from the powdercoating, and while they look much better now, the paint is too thick and now they wont go into their channels. I designed the case with tolerances for only one layer of the paint, I didn't want to much wiggle space so that the panels are firm once they are inserted.

Now, the best solution I have so far is to attach the right panel with magnetic strips, because it's only for the cover, there is the main frame behind it, and attach the left panel the intended way, using channels.

Would you be ok with that option? Thanks!

Clipz98

Chassis Packer
Oct 23, 2019

I got the panels back from the powdercoating, and while they look much better now, the paint is too thick and now they wont go into their channels. I designed the case with tolerances for only one layer of the paint, I didn't want to much wiggle space so that the panels are firm once they are inserted.

Now, the best solution I have so far is to attach the right panel with magnetic strips, because it's only for the cover, there is the main frame behind it, and attach the left panel the intended way, using channels.

As long as it doesn't affect the aesthetics much, it should be fine. Any pictures of the new powder coats?

M-jeri

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 20, 2016

Aren't they supposed to remove the old layer and do the coat? Shoddy workmanship if you ask me.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017

Did the powder coating company just put a second layer on top of the first one?
Aren't they supposed to remove the old layer and do the coat? Shoddy workmanship if you ask me.

Because of how powdercoating works, you can't repowdercoat over existing powdercoat, as it's nonconductive, and powdercoats are applied via static electricity. I don't understand how a second layer would be possible.

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019

The only concern I would have is whether or not the panel can be firmly attached using magnets. I've seen some complaints with the Nouvolo Steck where the magnet used for the panels was not strong enough and the panels would shift and slide or fall off whenever the case was moved or bumped. I think you should do some tests first. If they don't compromise the fitment of the panels and if they are still held on solidly enough so the case can be moved around in a bag or small suitcase without coming off I think I would be ok with it. Do you have any pictures of the panels installed using magnets vs channels? Does the panels still fit flush and not stick out due to the additional magnet?

Anyway thank you for the update, it must be so frustrating being so close to the finish line and then running into setbacks. Maybe this can be a good learning experience for your future projects! And I appreciate you having high standards and pride in your work. Keep us updated on the outcome.

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Because of how powdercoating works, you can't repowdercoat over existing powdercoat, as it's nonconductive, and powdercoats are applied via static electricity. I don't understand how a second layer would be possible.

Ever noticed you can rub some wool on a piece of plastic and build up a static charge?

Also, you can powdercoat non-metallic parts, so you don't need the part to be metals in order to apply a powder finish, if the part is pre-heated in an autoclave, you can apply the powder finish without statically charged powder and a grounded component.

In fact, this process is used to powdercoat plastic parts (there are a couple types of plastic with melting temperature high enough to withstand the powder curing process)

Reactions: CountNoctua

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
Ever noticed you can rub some wool on a piece of plastic and build up a static charge?

Also, you can powdercoat non-metallic parts, so you don't need the part to be metals in order to apply a powder finish, if the part is pre-heated in an autoclave, you can apply the powder finish without statically charged powder and a grounded component.

In fact, this process is used to powdercoat plastic parts (there are a couple types of plastic with melting temperature high enough to withstand the powder curing process)

Yeah, nylon for instance will. Been looking at this for some of my projects versus ceramic coating (cerakote).