Completed SFFtime presents: P-ATX, the 9L case with ATX and AIO support!

thekatrin

Chassis Packer
Aug 27, 2019
I will ship standard single pcie riser cable. Sorry, I wont be selling bifurcation cable, you will have to source them yourself.

Can I ask what configuration would you use with this case?

I apologize, had a brain fart, meant riser cable :D

I was considering getting a bifurcation cable and maybe running a 2 slot pcie card and a 1 slot ssd card in the past, do you figure this case would be capable of that? Not a deal breaker for me right now, I just do a lot of ai/programming work and its somewhat useful to load data real fast

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
I apologize, had a brain fart, meant riser cable :D

I was considering getting a bifurcation cable and maybe running a 2 slot pcie card and a 1 slot ssd card in the past, do you figure this case would be capable of that? Not a deal breaker for me right now, I just do a lot of ai/programming work and its somewhat useful to load data real fast

It could be done, but for me it would make more sense to use an ATX board with few M.2 slots and use them :) And of course you have x570 boards with up to three gen4 M.2 slots with up to 7 gbps speeds :)

thekatrin

Chassis Packer
Aug 27, 2019
One thing I'm a bit concerned about is the power switch- what is it made of / what is the size / is it replaceable if it breaks?

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
One thing I'm a bit concerned about is the power switch- what is it made of / what is the size / is it replaceable if it breaks?

I am using this kind of switch, it's 2 in 1, momentary switch plus LED:

I am very pro-repair myself, so I will offer replacement button PCB (two screw, very easy to replace) in case someone's switch fails. Although I think it's unlikely since it's very high quality switch.

Also, if you want, you can solder a new one, and if anyone wants to make his own PCB, I'd be glad to give him the necessary documentation and gerbers.

thekatrin

Chassis Packer
Aug 27, 2019
Thanks! Its an issue I had in the past. I tend to use computer cases for a long time and usually the first thing to fail is the power switch. :)

Reactions: riba2233

thekatrin

Chassis Packer
Aug 27, 2019
What kind of x570 boards do you think would work well with this setup? I noticed that almost all the x570 boards have a little fan in its bottom right hand corner, and in your setup, the gpu will be laying flat over this fan. I don't know how this will effect the thermals of the components

Here's some popular examples:

ASRock X570 Taichi:

Asus PRIME X570-P:

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
What kind of x570 boards do you think would work well with this setup? I noticed that almost all the x570 boards have a little fan in its bottom right hand corner, and in your setup, the gpu will be laying flat over this fan. I don't know how this will effect the thermals of the components

Here's some popular examples:

ASRock X570 Taichi:

Asus PRIME X570-P:

Sure, here is my point of view.

In my case, the chipset temperatures should be even better than in standard cases. That's for two reasons, first is that the clearance is actually bigger then in standard case (~6 mm vs ~3 mm), and the second reason is that gpu's with coolers with vertical fins will blow hot air directly into the chipset fan, which is not the case in P-ATX.

Here are the two pictures that illustrate my point:

(please note that the arrows are not representing the airflow for the gpu in the picture, but for gpu coolers with vertical fins)

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
P-ATX GPU compatibility guide

I would also like to post some more information about GPU compatibility for people who are planning a build in this case.

(note: dimensions do not include pci bracket)

1. Width:

a) if using ATX, m-ATX, m-DTX or E-ATX board - max dual slot

b) if using ITX board - max triple slot

2. Length:

a) without HDD or AIO, SFX or flex supply - 370 mm

b) without HDD or with 2.5 HDD or AIO, TFX supply - 280 mm

c) with 120 mm AIO, SFX supply - 245 mm

d) with 3.5 HDD, SFX supply - 268 mm

e) with 2.5 HDD, SFX or flex supply - 300 mm

f) with 92mm AIO, SFX supply - 270 mm

3. Heigth:

a) if using ATX, m-ATX, m-DTX or E-ATX MBO with PCI-e x16 slot in first position - 134 mm

b) if using MBO with PCI-e x16 slot in second position - 115 mm

c) if using ITX board and 2 slot GPU - max 134 mm

d) if using ITX board and GPU wider than 2 slot - max 127 mm

Here is the picture that explains pci-e x16 first vs. second position:

If you have and questions or doubts about this post, please tell me so I can explain it better. Thanks!

Last edited:

SpringerTheNerd

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 7, 2017
Hey not to make you feel like you gotta rush or anything but how are we looking for a release soon? I was really hoping to have it before the end of September. But I understand that first runs rarely go according to plans.

No pressure. I just really want this case

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Hey not to make you feel like you gotta rush or anything but how are we looking for a release soon? I was really hoping to have it before the end of September. But I understand that first runs rarely go according to plans.

No pressure. I just really want this case

Yeah sorry, I was also hoping to be done sooner, but I am one man company and want to produce them as best as I can so that's why I needed some more time. I hope it wont be more that 2-3 weeks, but of course I can't guarantee that because I still have to do the powder coating and anodizing and I'm outsourcing that so I can't be sure that they will be done in the promised time frame.

Thank you for your support :)

exitfire401

What's an ITX?
New User
Oct 3, 2019
Yeah sorry, I was also hoping to be done sooner, but I am one man company and want to produce them as best as I can so that's why I needed some more time. I hope it wont be more that 2-3 weeks, but of course I can't guarantee that because I still have to do the powder coating and anodizing and I'm outsourcing that so I can't be sure that they will be done in the promised time frame.

Thank you for your support :)

Extremely hyped for this case. Had to sign up to the forum to keep up to date.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Extremely hyped for this case. Had to sign up to the forum to keep up to date.

Thanks! :)

I have some news. I have sent the parts to powder coating shop, and front panels are ready for anodizing, I will send them to shop Monday or Tuesday.

One important thing, I have decided to have the stands powdercoated instead of anodized, I thought about it a lot and I decided that that's for the best.

mr.squishy

Average Stuffer
Aug 5, 2019
Thanks! :)

I have some news. I have sent the parts to powder coating shop, and front panels are ready for anodizing, I will send them to shop Monday or Tuesday.

One important thing, I have decided to have the stands powdercoated instead of anodized, I thought about it a lot and I decided that that's for the best.
Will there still be options for horizontal orientation?