Production SFFtime presents: N-ATX V2 - 15L evolution of console case that supports ATX size parts

harryshuman

Trash Compacter
Jan 30, 2022
Last contender could AXP120-67 but it should lead to same conclusion : similar performance..:)

Way ahead of you. Wait until Saturday for results.

Also you know what, I wonder if one of those coolers could be turned into a vapor chamber for better results. I bet one of them has hollow heat pipes that can be filled with low boiling point non-corrosive liquid.

Hmm, sounds like a project.

• Love
Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Way ahead of you. Wait until Saturday for results.

Also you know what, I wonder if one of those coolers could be turned into a vapor chamber for better results. I bet one of them has hollow heat pipes that can be filled with low boiling point non-corrosive liquid.

Hmm, sounds like a project.
Eager to see your feedback!

harryshuman

Trash Compacter
Jan 30, 2022
Eager to see your feedback!

Well, it came early so I tested it right away. I tested it with same parameters as before. -30 PBO, Grizzly Kryonaut paste, PPC-3000 fan.

These are the results I got (yep, it still throttles):

CoolerAbsolute Minimum CPU Package ClockAverage CPU Package Clock
AXP-100 Full Copper (Exhaust)4078.4 Mhz4120 Mhz (went up from 4100 Mhz over time)
Big Schuriken 3 (Intake)4058.8 Mhz4072 Mhz (went down from 4120 Mhz over time)
Big Schuriken 3 (Exhaust)4087.0 Mhz4140 Mhz (pretty stable albeit with much higher variation than other 2 configs)
AXP-120-X67 (Intake)4165.7 MHZ4180 Mhz (mean is stable)
AXP-120-X67 (Exhaust)4178.2 MHZ4209 Mhz (goes up to 4250 Mhz in a slow sinusoidal pattern)

I think AXP-120-X67 is definitely an improvement in both cooling and design. A lot of annoying design decisions present in AXP-100 FC and AXP-200 are gone. It's easier to install now but I do hate the new fan brackets, screws were easier to work with. In N-ATX they require you to remove the heatsink to replace or rotate the fan (at least with my ITX mobo). But overall not bad. It also doesn't block the power cable the way Big Schuriken 3 does. The fan is positioned completely flat relative the case, in AXP-100 FC and AXP-200 were kinda sloped. Also AXP-100 FC can only be installed with heat-pipes leading downwards or upwards, whereas AXP-120-X67 can only be installed with heat pipes positioned horizontally. The latter is actually crucial for that vapor chamber mod, as it allows the fluids circulate freely.

Overall, best low profile cooler yet, but only by a margin. Better than Big Schuriken 3 or AXP-100 Full Copper. I wonder if AXP-100 FC could still match it (and beat Big Schuriken 3), if I removed the 92mm to 120mm fan installation bracket that blocks airflow and replaced it with wire braces similar to AXP-120. Just a thought.

If you don't like tinkering, AXP-120 is the way to go.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Well, it came early so I tested it right away. I tested it with same parameters as before. -30 PBO, Grizzly Kryonaut paste, PPC-3000 fan.

AXP-100 Full Copper (Exhaust)4078.4 Mhz4120 Mhz (went up from 4100 Mhz over time)
Big Schuriken 3 (Exhaust)4087.0 Mhz4140 Mhz (pretty stable albeit with much higher variation than other 2 configs)
AXP-120-X67 (Exhaust)4178.2 MHZ4209 Mhz (goes up to 4250 Mhz in a slow sinusoidal pattern)

I think AXP-120-X67 is definitely an improvement in both cooling and design. A lot of annoying design decisions present in AXP-100 FC and AXP-200 are gone. It's easier to install now but I do hate the new fan brackets, screws were easier to work with. In N-ATX they require you to remove the heatsink to replace or rotate the fan (at least with my ITX mobo). But overall not bad. It also doesn't block the power cable the way Big Schuriken 3 does. The fan is positioned completely flat relative the case, in AXP-100 FC and AXP-200 were kinda sloped. Also AXP-100 FC can only be installed with heat-pipes leading downwards or upwards, whereas AXP-120-X67 can only be installed with heat pipes positioned horizontally. The latter is actually crucial for that vapor chamber mod, as it allows the fluids circulate freely.

Overall, best low profile cooler yet, but only by a margin. Better than Big Schuriken 3 or AXP-100 Full Copper. I wonder if AXP-100 FC could still match it (and beat Big Schuriken 3), if I removed the 92mm to 120mm fan installation bracket that blocks airflow and replaced it with wire braces similar to AXP-120. Just a thought.

thank you for the thorough testing. the AXP-120 seems like a real winner here, 2mm lower than BS3 (I don't have Rev. B so referring to the 69mm version here) yet better cooling performance. Plus TR are just much better at distribution compare to Scythe, I can easily get any TR SFF coolers at any height that I need locally. Big win for everyone!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016

Thanks for this testing!
We do agree on the performance of the AXP120-67..:) In my setup, I was impressed by its capabilities to handle/tame my R7 5800X (PBO -30, approx 120W).
You just demonstrated it is best air cpu cooler (AXP 120-67+ 120mmx25mm fan) for N-ATX!
Thanks again!

PS : I also agree about debate fan clip vs screws...I prefer screws..:)

thank you for the thorough testing. the AXP-120 seems like a real winner here, 2mm lower than BS3 (I don't have Rev. B so referring to the 69mm version here) yet better cooling performance. Plus TR are just much better at distribution compare to Scythe, I can easily get any TR SFF coolers at any height that I need locally. Big win for everyone!

I cannot agree more, especially about poor distribution for Scythe products!

Reactions: thelaughingman

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I've just posted a new build log today regarding my N-ATX v2. Today I am testing its maintenance and its capacity to replace parts individually!
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...n-atx-v2-complete-build-log.17997/post-273630

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Well personnaly, for aircooling inside N-ATX v2, I prefer Nvidia GPU FE passthrough and SFX-L PSU in order to smooth/ease airflow & cable management ..:D

Yeah SFX-L def makes things easier, but I was referring to maxing out the case let's say :) Also this card has passthrough like most 3xxx and 4xxx series gpus which is good!

Oh and btw there are some white b-stock cases in stock, with very minor cosmetic imperfections:

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
Damn, this is crazy. It is like the perfect air cooled build for this case, congrats!
Yeah SFX-L def makes things easier, but I was referring to maxing out the case let's say :) Also this card has passthrough like most 3xxx and 4xxx series gpus which is good!

Oh and btw there are some white b-stock cases in stock, with very minor cosmetic imperfections:

Thanks and yeah, that was the aim for myself! To pack in as much as possible into the N-ATX. To me, it's really statisfying to look at the NATX so stuffed.

Yeah, this 4090 has the pass through at the back too, and somehow the 120x25mm fan at the rear of the case fits. Although I used the 3.25 slot on the bracket, even though this card is a a true 3 slot behemoth.

Other 4090 cards that will fit with an ATX board, are probably only the Founder's Edition, PNY's 4090 VERTO, MSI's 4090 Ventus.

And I fully agree with @MarcParis that SFX/L will be way better for cable management!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
That 12vhpwr adapter doesn't look well. Make sure you have a fire extinguisher on stand-by.

Thanks for the advice! It's fully clicked in, the bends are solely on the wires, and not on the connector area.

This 12vhpwr adapter is, for sure, bulky/ugly, but it fits fine within N-ATX (I did it too with my setup). On some other cases (like my Cerberus-X), it is almost mandatory to use a entire alternative cable.

harryshuman

Trash Compacter
Jan 30, 2022
Thanks for the advice! It's fully clicked in, the bends are solely on the wires, and not on the connector area.

It's not just the connecter you need to look out for. The design of this connector uses wires soldered on PCB, so the thing coming out of the connector is actually PCB. If you bend it too much in that are (which you did) it will weaken the solder joint and can make it brittle, leading to failures and fires.

I would recommend leading the power cables into the GPU over the RAM planks, this way the soldered joint won't be bent and damaged..

Reactions: BaK

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
It's not just the connecter you need to look out for. The design of this connector uses wires soldered on PCB, so the thing coming out of the connector is actually PCB. If you bend it too much in that are (which you did) it will weaken the solder joint and can make it brittle, leading to failures and fires.

I would recommend leading the power cables into the GPU over the RAM planks, this way the soldered joint won't be bent and damaged..
Once again, thanks for the advice and info!

Reactions: riba2233

mrp0p1nfr3sh

Average Stuffer
Sep 4, 2017

How often do you restock cases? Because im trying to figure out the best time to build my spare PC.