Production SFFtime presents: N-ATX V2 - 15L evolution of console case that supports ATX size parts

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Hi everyone,

I am really proud to showcase the new design of my N-ATX case.

Following the design philosophy of the new P-ATX V3 case, N-ATX also gets a similar refresh in its V2 version.

Changes include:

1. Fully aluminum construction - all parts will be made from 1.5mm aluminum sheet, which will simplify the production and lower the weight

2. Flatpack - totally new construction style that enables case to be fully disassembled and flatpacked to around 27mm.

3. Economical and eco-friendly, small volume packaging without ANY plastic at all.

4. Invertible layout

5. Gen4 riser support

6. USB-C front connector

7. GPU position fully adjustable without steps, from 1 slot to 4 slots, with markings for every 0.25 slot so you don't have to guess the riser position

8. Increased height of the case which means better support for longer PSUs

9. Raised MBO position - this will allow for better 4slot gpu compatibility while using ITX motherboard. We all know that bigger gpus are coming and 4slot ones will be more common. This also enables 280mm rad support below the ITX mbo unlike 360mm only like on V1

10. Removed support for features that didn't make much sense and weren't use much but made the case more complicated - side rad, PSU in GP position, upper GPU mount

First batch is in production!

Here are full specs and compatibility:

SFF time N-ATX V2 specifications:

• 15 L volume with 405.5 x 367 x 101 mm outer dimensions
• console/"pizza box" style case with CPU and GPU fans in the same orientation
• ATX power supply up to 180 mm
• vertically mounted GPU with multiple riser cable options
• support for following motherboard sizes: mini-ITX, mini-DTX, micro-ATX, ATX
• support for 380mm long triple slot graphic card, or 4 slot if using ITX sized motherboard
• support for 360mm radiators
• CPU coolers up to 79 mm in height
• support for a 3.5" drive and up to eleven 2.5" drives
• back of motherboard accessible for cooler installation
• front USB-C gen3.2 port
• sturdy powder-coated aluminum construction
• narrow footprint - 120 mm wide with included stand
• inverted layout option
• 1.95 kg weight

Manual download

COMPATIBILITY

I. ATX configuration:

MOTHERBOARD COMPATIBILITY GUIDE:

1. ATX, mini ATX, mini DTX
2. if using mini ITX boards please see next chapter: "Standard ITX configuration"

GPU COMPATIBILITY GUIDE:

1. Width:

a) up to triple slot (~62 mm including backplate)
b) up to 3.25 slot (~67mm including backplate) if GPU is no taller than 145 mm and PCIe slot on the motherboard in is second position.
If it is in first position then GPU can be up to 163mm tall

2. Length:

a) default (one 3.5" drive or four 2.5" drives option) or dual slot gpu with 120mm radiator - 388 mm
b) triple slot gpu with 120 mm radiator - 275 mm
c) triple slot with more than four or dual slot gpu with more than six 2.5 SSDs installed - 330 mm

3. Height:

a) default with 140 mm long power supply - 163 mm
b) with 160 mm long power supply - 143 mm
c) with 180 mm long power supply - 123 mm

Notes:

* dimensions do not include PCI bracket.
* PCI-e riser cable is not included with the case by default

CPU COOLER COMPATIBILITY GUIDE:

1. Air cooler – up to 79 mm high

2. Water cooling radiator support:

a) block with tubes exiting from the side – up to 79 mm high
b) block with tubes exiting from the top – up to 49 mm high
c) 120 mm radiator – up to 90 mm total thickness for radiator and fan, 125 mm max radiator width

Notes:

* 120 mm radiators can only be used with ATX power supplies up to 160 mm long or with SFX power supplies.
* Please see other configurations for additional radiator compatibility up to 360 mm.
* Please see GPU compatibility for GPU dimension limits with various radiator options.
* Please see HDD compatibility for HDD dimension limits with various radiator options.

POWER SUPPLY COMPATIBILITY GUIDE:

1. ATX power supplies - up to 180 mm long

2. SFX power supplies - up to 140 mm long (SFX and SFX-L units)

Notes:

* Maximum power supply rated power is limited to 1200 W on 120 V circuits. Please do not exceed this limit.
* Please see water-cooling compatibility for radiator dimension limits with various power supply options.
* Please see GPU compatibility for GPU dimension limits with various power supply options.
* Please see HDD compatibility for HDD dimension limits with various power supply options.

HARD DRIVES COMPATIBILITY GUIDE:

1. 3.5" hard drives – one unit with maximum PSU length of 170 mm

2. 2.5" hard drives – 7 mm thick units with following options:

a) without any 3.5" drives – 11 units
b) with one 3.5" drive – 7 units

Notes:

* Please see GPU compatibility for GPU dimension limits with various hard drive options.
* HDD support is limited to a few 2.5” units if using water cooling, depending on radiator + fan thickness.

CASE FANS COMPATIBILITY GUIDE:

1. Side position - one 120 fan on the motherboard tray. Installing fan in this position removes one 3.5" or three 2.5" hard drive positions

MEMORY STICKS – UP TO 84 MM TALL

II. ITX configuration:

Note:
* for missing sections please see "Standard ATX configuration"

MOTHERBOARD COMPATIBILITY GUIDE:

1. mini ITX or wide ITX
2. mini DTX is possible with 120 mm wide radiators but will limit GPU height for 4 slot gpus to 130 mm

GPU COMPATIBILITY GUIDE:

1. Width:

a) up to 4 slot (~82 mm including backplate)
b) single or dual slot if using 240, 280 or 360 mm radiator

2. Length (for 4 slot GPUs):

a) default - 388 mm
b) with 120 mm radiator or fan - 275 mm
c) with 3.5" HDD installed - 285 mm
d) with more than one 2.5" SSD installed - 330 mm

3. Height:

a) default - 163 mm
b) with 160 mm long power supply - 143 mm
c) with 180 mm long power supply - 123 mm

Notes:
* dimensions do not include PCI bracket
* PCI-e riser cable is not included with the case by default

CPU COOLER COMPATIBILITY GUIDE:

1. Air cooler – up to 79 mm high

2. Water cooling radiator support:

a) block with tubes exiting from the side – up to 79 mm high
b) block with tubes exiting from the top – up to 49 mm high
c) with 120 radiator - up to 4 slot GPU
d) with 240, 280 or 360mm radiator + fan combination up to 42 mm total thickness - dual slot GPU
e) with 240, 280 or 360mm radiator + fan combination up to 62 mm total thickness - single slot GPU
f) 360 mm radiators up to 400 mm long are supported

Notes:

* 120 mm radiators can only be used with ATX power supplies up to 160 mm long or with SFX power supplies.
* 240, 280 or 360 mm radiators do not limit power supply options.
* Please see GPU compatibility for GPU dimension limits with various radiator options.
* If using 240, 280 or 360 mm radiator and reference height water cooled GPU, you will need to have water block that supports vertical tube exit
* 280 mm radiator could limit the GPU length if using dual slot GPU due to tube exit location
* There is 77 mm wide space for water cooling pump between mITX or mDTX motherboard and ATX power supply, or 102 mm with SFX power supply

Thank you for reading and I always like to hear any opinion on design and functionality!

Here are some pics and renders:

And some prototype pictures:

Last edited:

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Hi everyone,

I am really proud to showcase the new design of my N-ATX case.

Following the design philosophy of the new P-ATX V3 case, N-ATX also gets a similar refresh in its V2 version.

Changes include:

1. Fully aluminum construction - all parts will be made from 1.5mm aluminum sheet, which will simplify the production and lower the weight

2. Flatpack - totally new construction style that enables case to be fully disassembled and flatpacked to around 27mm.

3. Economical and eco-friendly, small volume packaging without ANY plastic at all.

4. Invertible layout

5. Gen4 riser support

6. USB-C front connector

7. GPU position fully adjustable without steps, from 1 slot to 4 slots, with markings for every 0.25 slot so you don't have to guess the riser position

8. Increased height of the case which means better support for longer PSUs

9. Raised MBO position - this will allow for better 4slot gpu compatibility while using ITX motherboard. We all know that bigger gpus are coming and 4slot ones will be more common. This also enables 280mm rad support below the ITX mbo unlike 360mm only like on V1

10. Removed support for features that didn't make much sense and weren't use much but made the case more complicated - side rad, PSU in GP position, upper GPU mount

I have files ready for production, but I want to hear your opinions first before I order the first batch :)

Thank you for reading!

Here are some renders:

And some prototype pictures:

Love the changes!

Could the internal mounting tray be opened up more for ventilation?

Reactions: riba2233

Houdini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 15, 2019
I think the upper GPU mount was a genius idea. Yes, you would need a slim block and low profile fittings but at least the 360 rad in the bottom can breath freely.

How much space is there now between fans on rad and GPU?

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
I think the upper GPU mount was a genius idea. Yes, you would need a slim block and low profile fittings but at least the 360 rad in the bottom can breath freely.

How much space is there now between fans on rad and GPU?

Thanks, it is not a bad idea in general, but there is just not enough space for the cpu clock or cooler once you put a gpu in front, even a single slot one. And there is like two blocks that can even fit in 37mm package.

It is the same as with V1 mostly, 15 or 25mm fan with 27m rad depending of whether you use 1 or 2 slot gpu.

Houdini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 15, 2019
Thanks, it is not a bad idea in general, but there is just not enough space for the cpu clock or cooler once you put a gpu in front, even a single slot one. And there is like two blocks that can even fit in 37mm package.

It is the same as with V1 mostly, 15 or 25mm fan with 27m rad depending of whether you use 1 or 2 slot gpu.
Yes true.

In the bottom if I use 25mm fan and 30mm rad, how big is the gap to a 1 slot GPU?

Retrias

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 28, 2018
the only updated I want from the next N-ATX as a V1 owner is the ability to mount large ass PSU, seems likely that will be a requirement in the next couple of iterations

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
the only updated I want from the next N-ATX as a V1 owner is the ability to mount large ass PSU, seems likely that will be a requirement in the next couple of iterations
Well this one basically has that feature, it has no practical limit but after 170mm it will eat space from the gpu so it depends on how tall your gpu is.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Is Upper GPU mount no longer available?
With this, we can make a custom loop using a powerful 360 radiator.

Wow, this is the first build I have seen with top GPU and thick 360 rad, very nice! Do you have any more pictures, I would like to see the finished build from the inside :)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Hi @riba2233, this N-ATX refresh is great news!

You have included feature on this V2 I complained a lot on Sliger CL530 (it was even a killing point forcing me to retire this case) :
"7. GPU position fully adjustable without steps, from 1 slot to 4 slots, with markings for every 0.25 slot so you don't have to guess the riser position"

Could you demonstrate how it will be done please?

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Hi @riba2233, this N-ATX refresh is great news!

You have included feature on this V2 I complained a lot on Sliger CL530 (it was even a killing point forcing me to retire this case) :
"7. GPU position fully adjustable without steps, from 1 slot to 4 slots, with markings for every 0.25 slot so you don't have to guess the riser position"

Could you demonstrate how it will be done please?
Hi, glad you like it!

It is done the same way as on P-ATX V3, you can check its manual to see how it works.

Reactions: MarcParis