Production SFFtime presents: N-ATX V2 - 15L evolution of console case that supports ATX size parts

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
@riba2233 only realised today upon looking at the manual again that one can use the more popular double-reverse risers in the V2 thanks to the new riser bracket instead of the 90-degree riser that came with the V1. this change is rather subtle but definitely is great for people who have a trusted riser (model) and transfer it from other build/cases over to the N-ATX 👏👏👏

Personal anecdote - when I got the V1 I had to go out and bought a 90-degree Gen 4 riser, which eventually broke due to wear and tear from my excessive tinkering, yet the 3M riser that came with the Dan-A4 SFX (my trusted riser) is still going strong haha

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
@riba2233 only realised today upon looking at the manual again that one can use the more popular double-reverse risers in the V2 thanks to the new riser bracket instead of the 90-degree riser that came with the V1. this change is rather subtle but definitely is great for people who have a trusted riser (model) and transfer it from other build/cases over to the N-ATX 👏👏👏

Personal anecdote - when I got the V1 I had to go out and bought a 90-degree Gen 4 riser, which eventually broke due to wear and tear from my excessive tinkering, yet the 3M riser that came with the Dan-A4 SFX (my trusted riser) is still going strong haha

Thanks, that was one of the main reasons I went for double reverse along with better choice of gen4 risers, especially the JHH ones I sell.

BTW I added one more B-stock case ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: thelaughingman

Ratto

Efficiency Noob
Oct 16, 2022

I just saw another N-ATX V2 build (in Japanese) XD

harryshuman

Trash Compacter
Jan 30, 2022

The madlad actually trying to cool 5950X with Big Schuriken 3, amazing. I can barely cool 5800X3D with AXP-100 Copper, and I am using IndustrialPPC-3000 so it sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
The madlad actually trying to cool 5950X with Big Schuriken 3, amazing. I can barely cool 5800X3D with AXP-100 Copper, and I am using IndustrialPPC-3000 so it sounds like a vacuum cleaner.
In fact, you can even cool a stock 5950X with NH-L9 cooler if you want.
What is important to check is sustainable core frequency, and not temperature.
AMD CPU are downclocking themselves with a temperature target.

Here are evidences :

My own experiment with C7 with 3800X vs C14S / WC
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...erberus-x-complete-build-log.2007/post-185864

Reactions: riba2233

Ilyu

Trash Compacter
Nov 6, 2019
Nice build! External radiator is bigger than N-ATX v2.. :) I guess temperatures are awesome, even for water cooling, isn't it?
Yeah, they're amazing. Havent tinkered much around with it yet, but I have the target water temp to 35° and fans idle @500rpm. Havent seen the fans being adjusted yet. The main thing was going silent, cant hear the fans and the D5 is now decoupled and inaudible @35% 100L/h.

The only issue I now have is the mainboard actually is the noisy part - it's some high pitch coil whine... - have to look into playing with the voltages I guess?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Yeah, they're amazing. Havent tinkered much around with it yet, but I have the target water temp to 35° and fans idle @500rpm. Havent seen the fans being adjusted yet. The main thing was going silent, cant hear the fans and the D5 is now decoupled and inaudible @35% 100L/h.

The only issue I now have is the mainboard actually is the noisy part - it's some high pitch coil whine... - have to look into playing with the voltages I guess?
Great achievement so far!

Regarding coil whine, it is a common issue, that limits/plagues silent build with power angry components.

If it is on gpu, you can clearly undervolt it.
If it is on mb, nothing much could be done. You can try a different psu maybe.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com

Wow this is a very detailed blog and a very nice build, thank for sharing!

Are there still some B-stock N-ATX V2 cases?

Sold everything, sorry!

Went with exhaust fan 😀
Build complete, took some low effort pics during the build process: Album

Ok this is incredible, I mean with custom 3D printed parts and external rad, just beautiful!
For mbo coil whine try changing the vrm frequency in bios, try going higher maybe

Ilyu

Trash Compacter
Nov 6, 2019
It's cool and all, but I feel like having external radiator larger than the case itself defeats the purpose of the SFF case.
For me, SFF not only means as small as possible but also the approach to not waste any space. Neither do I claim my build to be SFF, nor do I know its definition, I would assume ATX could also already "defeat the purpose". I just wanted the smallest and (above all) thinnest case to house (cheaper ATX) hardware so I can potentially mount it invisible/horizontal below my desk.

I want to silently cool a 600W GPU and a 350W CPU while not wasting space. The Winter One was close to perfect but not silent enough for my taste. Unfortunately there are no SFF cases that can fulfill these needs so I had to go with the Mo-Ra, which makes life again a lot easier with mounting & invisiblity (thickness split below desk). Feel free to enlighten me with a true SFF case capable of cooling and housing 1000W silently - and I have a new project 😀

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
It's cool and all, but I feel like having external radiator larger than the case itself defeats the purpose of the SFF case.

For me, SFF not only means as small as possible but also the approach to not waste any space. Neither do I claim my build to be SFF, nor do I know its definition, I would assume ATX could also already "defeat the purpose". I just wanted the smallest and (above all) thinnest case to house (cheaper ATX) hardware so I can potentially mount it invisible/horizontal below my desk.

I want to silently cool a 600W GPU and a 350W CPU while not wasting space. The Winter One was close to perfect but not silent enough for my taste. Unfortunately there are no SFF cases that can fulfill these needs so I had to go with the Mo-Ra, which makes life again a lot easier with mounting & invisiblity (thickness split below desk). Feel free to enlighten me with a true SFF case capable of cooling and housing 1000W silently - and I have a new project 😀

To be honest, SFF definition is 100% subjective. For some, SFF cannot exceed 10 litres or even smaller. For many, ATX MB are not part of SFF world…whereas I consider my Cerberus-x, since almost 6 years, to be the best SFF for my main desktop. And now I really appreciate N-ATX for living room..;)

What remains the most important is to build computer suited to our needs/wishes/tastes…:)

harryshuman

Trash Compacter
Jan 30, 2022
To be honest, SFF definition is 100% subjective. For some, SFF cannot exceed 10 litres or even smaller. For many, ATX MB are not part of SFF world…whereas I consider my Cerberus-x, since almost 6 years, to be the best SFF for my main desktop. And now I really appreciate N-ATX for living room..;)

What remains the most important is to build computer suited to our needs/wishes/tastes…:)

Well Small Form Factor refers to saving space, regardless of how you put it. So even with ATX MB, a 10 liter case is meant to save space. Adding another 12-13 liter contraption to the case is not Small Form Factor, you might as well use a normal desktop case and put everything into it.

To truly be SFF this build would require embedding the radiator into the side of the case, and running it in exhaust configuration. Since the water block on the GPU would reduce it to 2 slots, you could put it all the way in the back of the case and that would give you 2-3 slots of depth in the case for radiator installation. It would probably extend out of the case a bit due to fans also being installed, but hey, at least it's not another larger case attached to it.

Now that would be SFF, literally cramming the uncrammable into a 10 liter SFF case.

Alternatively, since the front panel is removable, a radiator could be instead in the front by means of offset extensions. Idk, maybe this could be a feature in V3 case.

Yohannesburg

What's an ITX?
New User
Jan 1, 2023
Just wondering, what country do you live in? For me, it's been around 3 weeks since mine got shipped but my federal post service is still saying "it's waiting for the item to arrive in Canada".
So a month later I am still waiting for my case. I guess at this point nothing prevents me from waiting until 2023.
Any updates?

It seems mine has turned up in New York yesterday so I imagine Canadian orders would also finally be getting through.

harryshuman

Trash Compacter
Jan 30, 2022
Any updates?

It seems mine has turned up in New York yesterday so I imagine Canadian orders would also finally be getting through.

Nothing yet. Will be sending an email to Riba tomorrow.

Had ordered something from Germany on the 29th of November and it arrived in Canada on the 21st of December, 1 week past the expected the delivery date.

This case I ordered on the 21st of November, so I don't really understand how something crom Croatia can take this much longer.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Nothing yet. Will be sending an email to Riba tomorrow.

Had ordered something from Germany on the 29th of November and it arrived in Canada on the 21st of December, 1 week past the expected the delivery date.

This case I ordered on the 21st of November, so I don't really understand how something crom Croatia can take this much longer.
Ok, that is a bit weird, all the other packages I shipped on the same day to US have just started to arrive, can you give me your order number so I can check?
That package from germany might have been a smaller one or a different type (for eg recommended instead of packet) or used a courier

Ratto

Efficiency Noob
Oct 16, 2022
@riba2233
Idk if it is a bug or not but when I browsing "Discover N-ATX" on my mobile device I cannot see the "Image Gallery", "Compatibility" and "Manual" Button, but they are visible on P-ATX page / PC.

harryshuman

Trash Compacter
Jan 30, 2022
Ok, that is a bit weird, all the other packages I shipped on the same day to US have just started to arrive, can you give me your order number so I can check?
That package from germany might have been a smaller one or a different type (for eg recommended instead of packet) or used a courier

I sent an email to info@sfftime.com.