Motherboard SFF Threadripper motherboard petition thread

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
okay V2

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Well, there has been whispers of a possible sTRX40 mDTX mobo over in the FormD-P1 thread & @Wahaha360 is going on about wanting a 64c or 80c CPU & 3-slot GPU in a backpack, so maybe he knows something we do not...

I have the X570 mDTX board from ASUS, the Crosshair VIII Impact. Looking at that, I could maybe see:

sTRX40 socket flanked by four RAM slots (two to either side)
24-pin mobo, 8-pin EPS, 19-pin USB3, & USB3 Type-C connectors / headers along the right side of mobo (as usual)
SO-DIMM.2 slot for riser card with two PCIe Gen4 NVME M.2 SSDs (just like on the C8I)
Two PCIe Gen4 x16 slots (spaced for two 2-slot GPUs, so the second PCIe slot would be at the lower edge of the mobo)
A third PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2 SSD slot between the GPU slots
A fourth PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2 SSD slot on the backside of the mobo

This would allow a system with:

64c/128t CPU
128GB DDR4 RAM
8TB total Gen4 NVMe M.2 storage (no cables!)
Two top-end GPUs without the need for any riser card or bifurcation issues

Discuss...!!! ;^p

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
mmmm not quite simple, the VRM strategy would crowd out the top part of the board. all but one board has the CPU socket moved down over what should have been PCI slot 1

also i think you might just have described mATX with the three-slot height layout ._.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
mmmm not quite simple, the VRM strategy would crowd out the top part of the board. all but one board has the CPU socket moved down over what should have been PCI slot 1

also i think you might just have described mATX with the three-slot height layout ._.

Yeah, I got carried away thinking of dual GPUs...

But if one were water cooling, with single slot water blocks, a dual slot mDTX would work...

Or a NVMe M.2 RAID card in slot one & a GPU in slot two (in a three slot chassis)...

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
Well, there has been whispers of a possible sTRX40 mDTX mobo over in the FormD-P1 thread & @Wahaha360 is going on about wanting a 64c or 80c CPU & 3-slot GPU in a backpack, so maybe he knows something we do not...

I have the X570 mDTX board from ASUS, the Crosshair VIII Impact. Looking at that, I could maybe see:

sTRX40 socket flanked by four RAM slots (two to either side)
24-pin mobo, 8-pin EPS, 19-pin USB3, & USB3 Type-C connectors / headers along the right side of mobo (as usual)
SO-DIMM.2 slot for riser card with two PCIe Gen4 NVME M.2 SSDs (just like on the C8I)
Two PCIe Gen4 x16 slots (spaced for two 2-slot GPUs, so the second PCIe slot would be at the lower edge of the mobo)
A third PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2 SSD slot between the GPU slots
A fourth PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2 SSD slot on the backside of the mobo

This would allow a system with:

64c/128t CPU
128GB DDR4 RAM
8TB total Gen4 NVMe M.2 storage (no cables!)
Two top-end GPUs without the need for any riser card or bifurcation issues

Discuss...!!! ;^p
Not small enough ;)