Prototype [Scratch Build]Project REAL CUBE (Back online, V3.0 soon)

Kip

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2015
www.facebook.com
For the fan vents, I concur that grills are needed, but they may need to be a bit more open. How much restriction is on them grills?

And, I have been thinking all back inputs for a case would be a good thing, keep all the cables together. OR (why am I giving you my idea...) have the USB and HD audio ports on a break out cable from the back.

My $0.02

Minefoxi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
www.youtube.com
So Front, Top and Sides are glued to each other and screwed in from the bottom?

Not quite, the side panels are glued to some parts of the inner structure and only those get screwed together. On the back and bottom like you said those structure parts are screwed also to the panels.

For the fan vents, I concur that grills are needed, but they may need to be a bit more open. How much restriction is on them grills?

And, I have been thinking all back inputs for a case would be a good thing, keep all the cables together. OR (why am I giving you my idea...) have the USB and HD audio ports on a break out cable from the back.

What do you mean by restriction and break out cable?

Minefoxi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
www.youtube.com
Rendering of V1.1 as it is right now.

I had to put the USBs vertically because there is more space like that. My problem at the moment is to find two matching 2-port header adapters for USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 and one pair I found would fit in like that.

What I need is something like that for USB 2.0 because there is much more such stuff for USB 3.0 and mabye you know something that fits.

Reactions: Phuncz

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Oh I see. Yeah the problem with USB2.0 is that it's signal integrity requirements were much lower, so you didn't need end-to-end shielded cables. And that meant that everyone was just spinning their own little PCBs, costs next to nothing when you're making 100+ of them.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
You'd also need to mount displays on the outside of the box to mimick the see-through.

Minefoxi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
www.youtube.com

Minefoxi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
www.youtube.com
So after the first hardware test fitting (after the fan ;)) I have some pictures for you:
PSU: SX600-G

And my epic testbench for the meantime while I'm waiting for some more parts:

I also need your advice on the back I/O. What could I do about the additional USB2.0 Should I just go for 2x3.0 and Audio or only 2x3.0?

Reactions: Phuncz

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
DO IT FASTER! If you make a post every 6 hours for each component, I'm going to die from the suspense :D

I'd say ditch the audio, makes the whole thing a bit simpler.

EDIT: Can confirm, just died from the suspense x(

Last edited:
Reactions: Kip

Minefoxi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
www.youtube.com
DO IT FASTER! If you make a post every 6 hours for each component, I'm going to die from the suspense :D
I'd say ditch the audio, makes the whole thing a bit simpler.
EDIT: Can confirm, just died from the suspense x(
lol :D
well that's the best feedback for me :p
I think I'll go with the extra Audio ports because it's handy when you have your back audio jack for your speakers and want an additional port for headphones that is also "more easy to reach" from the front.

I'll just use that:

Minefoxi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
www.youtube.com
So apparently AliExpress and DHGate let me down because the "2 pieces for 16$ offer" isn't available anymore :( You can only buy 500 pieces for 2700$ and I wont do that just to try it out :D
Seems like I have to look for another USB Cable (mabye without Audio)