Prototype [Scratch Build]Project REAL CUBE (Back online, V3.0 soon)

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Ha...this reminds me of when I was creating complex 3D sketches in SolidWorks and the program had a hard time determining if the model was constrained, over-constrained, or under-constrained. It would say my sketch was over-constrained, I'd add another constraint to it, and it'd all of a sudden be under-constrained. Go figure.

Minefoxi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
www.youtube.com
I rebuilt it and now everything is clean now with no bad constraints. I just learned during the process of building it before so it wasn't that great in the beginning. Now I know a lot more about assemblies in Inventor.

Minefoxi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
www.youtube.com
Thread inserts inserted :D

Reactions: Phuncz

Minefoxi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
www.youtube.com
Update Time: Finally you'll get the REAL deal (see what I did there?)
I guess it's time for resurrection @iFreilicht :D

Motherboard (with my nice NB eLoop on top ;)) mounted to the bottom only for a start:

GPU (short ZOTAC GTX650ti beacuse MSI GTX970 would't fit), IO shield and back panel added:

And with the side and back panels mounted to the bottom:

And most of the stuff that looks wrong here (e. g. the gap under the IO shield) will be corrected in V1.1

But the most of it fits and looks great, doesn't it guys?
Let me know what you think!

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
I'd be interested to hear your take on the NB-eLoop PWM fan. I've seen a few users across the internet complaining about motor noise with the PWM controller.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Looking good!

Too bad not everything fits perfectly but that's what prototypes are for :)

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
First of all, it's looking great, really nice how everything fits together!

Why didn't the GTX970 fit? It's taller than usual, but your case has tons of space in that dimension.
With the I/O shield, does it pop back out if you don't put the motherboard in? I feel like the could be a problem with such thick material. Or is the gap we see in one picture related to something else?
Do you fear that the PSU fans vibrations could be coupled to the case? It seems like that could pose a problem if the whole underside is resting on that small panel.

Minefoxi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
www.youtube.com
After great cooperation with QinX for the laser parts I dare to ask if anyone (preferably from Europe :D) could CNC drill a cylinder part for a power button (raw dimensions: 13 height x 24mm diameter)

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Wooden power button would match nicely. I'd maybe recommend having it stick out a bit so you can find it by touch.

The fan screws look fine, that's about the only option you have except for countersinking them.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Why not use wooden pegs as screws ? I think I've said that before in this topic on a different question :D
I might be partial to wooden pegs...

Minefoxi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
www.youtube.com
Wooden power button would match nicely. I'd maybe recommend having it stick out a bit so you can find it by touch.

The fan screws look fine, that's about the only option you have except for countersinking them.
Thanks for the feedback! The problem with the button sticking out is that it would be over the 222mm edge length and I tried hard to keep that so I'll have to find a different solution...
Why not use wooden pegs as screws ? I think I've said that before in this topic on a different question :D
I might be partial to wooden pegs...
Like glueing the pegs to the panel or rather sticking them through to the back? Because that wouldn't look so good and they also would be made out of a different wood that wouldn't match.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I like the idea of a wooden power button, nothing to add to what Aiboh already said.

Maybe I'm a bit dumb, but I can't find any fan screws on that picture, just the mounting holes. Am I missing something?

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I don't think anyone will complain if the power button sticks out 1-2mm.

But you could maybe texture it differently so it's easy to differentiate from the frame.

Minefoxi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
www.youtube.com
I like the idea of a wooden power button, nothing to add to what Aiboh already said.

Maybe I'm a bit dumb, but I can't find any fan screws on that picture, just the mounting holes. Am I missing something?
That's what I meant with fan screwes ;)
I don't think anyone will complain if the power button sticks out 1-2mm.

But you could maybe texture it differently so it's easy to differentiate from the frame.
I think I'll try it out anyway and then I'll see If you can find it easily enough by feeling.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
recess the power button by a couple mm?