Prototype [Scratch Build]Project REAL CUBE (Back online, V3.0 soon)

Minefoxi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
www.youtube.com
Yeah that was what I was aiming for with the logo: to see the characteristics of the case simplified and on the first glance. The outlines with the 'cogs' on them didn't work out but everything else is visible on the logo now.

The three red lines wouldn't look like a cube on first glance either so I think I'll go with the simpler and lighter Black/White version ;)

As I found Qinx as my partner for the prototypes now I hope we'll see some physical progress soon :D

Kip

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2015
www.facebook.com
Pardon the bad shop:

But, I too like the first of the 3 best :)

Reactions: Minefoxi

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Anyway, I think it's the isometric view that is bothering me for some reason.

Some people even get headaches from viewing non-perspective renders/drawings so that's probably the reason.

Minefoxi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
www.youtube.com
Update approaching:

Thanks to my awesome supplier buddy Qinx who cut, engraved and sent me some wood on Friday (which arrived today) I finally hold a physical result of my work in my hands. The panels and edges turned out great and I'll try to get some hardware in there this week (after building the inner structure and tearing down my rig for the hardware :D).

A few Pics of the Parts:

A YouTube video update will follow soon ;) (in "as-good-as-possible-English" :D)

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
That was fast!

Looks great, can't wait to see it assembled :)

Minefoxi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
www.youtube.com

Minefoxi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
www.youtube.com
Update time :D

Well, when will you put the bits in. We all want to see the build :)

I'm on it and finally startet putting some wood together ;)

Everything beeing marked,

cut, drilled,

and then glued and screwed together.

Test fitting without hardware:

I'm really happy seeing it all coming together after a long time of planning. And of course I'm also happy to see many of you just as interestet in the project as I am.

Soon you'll see the cube in one piece ;) so stay tuned...

Reactions: QinX and Phuncz

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Great to see the update, I've had a little sneak peek after making it, but I now that is coming together for real I still get excited for it!
As the say over on a dutch forum KUTGW! (Keep Up The Good Work!)

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Very nice progress there! One thing that bugs me is how the colours of the two woods are different, are you going to do something about that? Not like anyone will see it once it's closed, I just like attention to detail in those sort of places.

Regack

Trash Compacter
Sep 11, 2015
Very nice progress there! One thing that bugs me is how the colours of the two woods are different, are you going to do something about that? Not like anyone will see it once it's closed, I just like attention to detail in those sort of places.

If the inside received a nice coating of a dark brown paint, as close as possible to the burn color from the laser cuts, it would also serve to protect that wood. Either that or some stain + sealant?

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Are you going to be sanding the exterior with a fine grit or just leave it as is?

Minefoxi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
www.youtube.com
Your feedback is awesome too! Thank you ;)

Are you going to be sanding the exterior with a fine grit or just leave it as is?
I'm indeed planning to sand it with fine sand paper and then mabye also clearcoat it to keep the nice burned color.

It does indeed look quite the part. How are you going to fix the panels together non-permanently?

I don't want any visible screwes on the front, sides and top so I'll glue (or at the back and bottom screw) the panels to the inner structure. The resulting parts get screwed like any other case. Pictures and video will follow and show how... ;)