Prototype [Scratch Build]Project REAL CUBE (Back online, V3.0 soon)

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
I'm debating the Kickstarter integration because the card takes up much more space than just a plain link.
yeah, but it does give a nice quick bite of information, instead of having to go to the kickstarter page.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I think he was talking about the project on Kickstarter, which really is a NUC in a different case :)
EDIT: ninja'ed !

But indeed, your project is on another level. I'd also add AMD Fury Nano to that list as it will be somewhere in between GTX 980 en GTX 980 Ti speeds in the same small "ITX card" size.

Regack

Trash Compacter
Sep 11, 2015
YES! Another person who wants an ACTUAL CUBE, not just a cuboid shape... like most cases are when you search for 'cube' (grrr). The wood is going to look fantastic!

My cube (imgur link) is 200mm to the outside edge (8L) with 185mm inside usable (~6.3L). The walls are 5mm acrylic mounted into 10mm aluminum extrusion (microrax), which adds to the overall size. I put an 80mm fan on the top, and 140mm inlet on the bottom of the case. Turns out I could have fit a 92mm fan on top, and I will update once I get a R9 Nano to replace the R9 270x and have to also redo the side panel to relocate the fan spot.

I decided against the ODD, and only have provisions for 1 SSD at the moment. There is plenty of room in the cube for more, but I would have had to have them mounted to the side panels, and that would have... detracted from the aesthetic. It's bad enough that I have a hole in one side for the GPU to breathe.

Anyway, I'm excited to see how yours turns out!

Reactions: Phuncz

Minefoxi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
www.youtube.com
Little Update:

I decided to change the fan grill design again to match the cube look better:

What do you think about it?

Also I mailed a few companies that could lasercut plywood and so far I got one offer and I think I'll go with them for the prototypes.
If anyone knows a German company for lasercutting wood, please let me know ;)

Reactions: jØrd and Phuncz

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Well, I'm not german but dutch, alsmost the same right?
But I've got a new toy recently and it is a lasercutting/engraving machine.

So if you might be interested shoot me a PM.

Reactions: Minefoxi and Phuncz

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Oh BTW, there is a case with a real cube shape, called the Inkubus 300µ. As you're German as well, you'll be able to read this and this.

For everyone else: Cube with 207mm edge length made of wood, fits an mITX board, SFX PSU and four 2.5" drives in hot-swap slots. No dedicated GPU, but four sides of the cube are completely flat and featureless. Pretty interesting premise to build a case on.
It is only sold as a full system, though. And it's really darn expensive.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Intake from the bottom, place mainboard in a way that blocks 90% of the intake. I wonder why that case wasn't successful.

Apart from that, the slanted corner is the only similarity I see.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Apart from that, the slanted corner is the only similarity I see.
It's also an mITX cube-shaped case, with that "signature" corner :p
When it was launched I thought the Xigmatek case was a nice SFF case, although large because of the ATX PSU.