Completed Salvo Studios S402: ~9L Steel Console Style Case

CorerMaximus

Cable Smoosher
Nov 17, 2020
My apologies on posting so much, but does anyone have experience using a m.2 -> PCIe 4x adapter coupled with a a riser cable to add a second expansion card without using bifurcation?

I was thinking of getting one of these m.2 to PCIe slots and using a riser cable to connect attach another PCIe device (USB HUB) to the 3rd slot w/ my 2 slot GPU. This should work just fine in practice, but I was wondering if anyone has come across any weird quirks when doing something like this?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
My apologies on posting so much, but does anyone have experience using a m.2 -> PCIe 4x adapter coupled with a a riser cable to add a second expansion card without using bifurcation?

I was thinking of getting one of these m.2 to PCIe slots and using a riser cable to connect attach another PCIe device (USB HUB) to the 3rd slot w/ my 2 slot GPU. This should work just fine in practice, but I was wondering if anyone has come across any weird quirks when doing something like this?
No worries, sorry I didn't reply earlier. I am currently working with an S402 customer who is doing just what you described. There is a problem with the PCIe risers and interference in some of the slots. For example, if we number the PCIe slots from the rear (MB mount) of the chassis up toward the vented panel, we would number them 1, 2, 3, respectively. Now, if you have to use slot #1 (nearest MB mount surface), there are no existing solutions for mounting a PCIe riser in slot #2. For slots #2 and #3, there are alternative riser orientations available that will allow them to work. You can even install in slots #1 and #3 without issue, but #1 and #2 present interference.

My solution that I'm attempting now is to use an AmeriRack PCIe 3.0 bifurcation (x8/x8) adapter mounted to the stock S402 mounts, then extending it using a "straight" PCIe riser cable from the rear of the AmeriRack bifurcation adapter into the mainboard. This solves the physical compatibility but the AmeriRack PCB needs to be modified to mount in the S402 (front holes need to be drilled and rear holes need to be opened up). I haven't yet had an opportunity to test this configuration but I hope to do so in the coming days (after I can get the remaining S402 units listed). One problem is that my drill stripped some of the wire insulation on the AmeriRack adapter when I drilled the front holes and I'm hoping I didn't nick the actual wires.

If this solution works, you'd need to purchase the AmeriRack adapter (ARC1-PELY423-CxV3) and a straight PCIe Gen 3.0 x16 riser cable. The higher-quality riser cables would work best I'm guessing because of the daisy-chain solution.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the AmeriRack adapter for sale anywhere. Looks like we'll need to source another option for bifurcation...

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
This one might work, but would require an adapter because the mounting holes need to be 11mm more apart (poor word choice but can't think of another way to say it right now). I like this one though because you could get a "reverse" riser that would work pretty well. I'll see if I can figure a way to adapt the mounting for that one. The technical diagram surely helps.

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020
He also does custom PCBs. I have one of the standard two-slot spacing risers from him and it's really nice. I would suspect that he would entertain custom orders for the S402 if there was enough demand.

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
He also does custom PCBs. I have one of the standard two-slot spacing risers from him and it's really nice. I would suspect that he would entertain custom orders for the S402 if there was enough demand.

I might reach out to him but the demand definitely doesn't justify the expense for a custom PCB. More likely, I will try to develop a 3D-printed model that will support the C_Payne adapters, but I need more time to get that done. I even have a customer with one that offered to help any way they could.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Update #1: I've sold out of S402 units. Thank you to all who purchased one and don't forget that you can contact me anytime with questions or concerns.

Update #2: A customer just confirmed that the 3090 will physically fit inside the S402. The length is close, but it does work.

Reactions: rfarmer

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Update #1: I've sold out of S402 units. Thank you to all who purchased one and don't forget that you can contact me anytime with questions or concerns.

Update #2: A customer just confirmed that the 3090 will physically fit inside the S402. The length is close, but it does work.

Congrats on the successful run, looking forward to your future designs

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Quick canvass: I'm interested in perusing one of the two following projects and am looking for some feedback.

1. S500 - console design, supports 80mm fans, mATX support, SFX/SFX-L, 3-slot PCIe
2. S400 Revisited - console design, clamshell cover panel, similar specs to S402

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020
Would there be an opportunity to do a S400/S402 size case with flex atx support to accomodate a mATX board? Even just standoff positions to make the interior more modular would be great. design/costs obviously notwithstanding, the S402 is damn near perfect but some small modularity tweaks would be a cool feature.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Would there be an opportunity to do a S400/S402 size case with flex atx support to accomodate a mATX board? Even just standoff positions to make the interior more modular would be great. design/costs obviously notwithstanding, the S402 is damn near perfect but some small modularity tweaks would be a cool feature.
This would need to be the S500. However, it *should* be fairly close in volume to the S402. I would make it a little wider, but then overlap the PCIe device above the PCIe slots (might not support 3-slot cards, but probably still 2.5). Might still be able to use SFX but so long as I planned an optional Flex ATX bracket, either should work. The Flex might grant better RAM height support.

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020
Also, 240mm aio support would be cool. It's doable currently with the S402, but is there any way the theoretical S500 would be able to accommodate a more standard 27m rad with slim fans?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Also, 240mm aio support would be cool. It's doable currently with the S402, but is there any way the theoretical S500 would be able to accommodate a more standard 27m rad with slim fans?
Not sure just yet. I've only just been thinking about this the last day or so. I would say maybe depending on the PSU solution I go with. Right now I'm investigating different form factors and really kinda like the 2U Flex PSUs. Downside is that none are modular, but you can get 800W Bronze/Gold rated units for ~$150US which makes them much more affordable.

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020
FSP makes this monstrosity () as well as two other 700W units. looks like all are 220m ish in length (700 might be a bit shorter). When I tried to buy one of the 850W units earlier this year, they indicated they do bulk orders but not individual units. Seems that's changed a bit since then, but hopefully that is useful.

Last edited:

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Yes, I'm looking at units much like those. My only concern would be the noise with those 40mm fans. Those usually spin up and can be very loud. Today, I bought this 2U 800W Gold unit for just over $100. It's not got the best rating, but there is also a startech unit that has similar specs but is $150.

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020
interesting. Hard to tell from photos for the 2u and 1u units, do you think those are 40x20? If so, fan swaps can do a good amount of work to reduce the noise. Its really a shame that Enhance doesnt appear to have a unit higher than 600w

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
interesting. Hard to tell from photos for the 2u and 1u units, do you think those are 40x20? If so, fan swaps can do a good amount of work to reduce the noise. Its really a shame that Enhance doesnt appear to have a unit higher than 600w
The 1u units use 40x20 fans I believe and the 2u units uses 60x20 fans. The interesting thing about the 2u unit is that it has dual-fans (1 front, 1 rear) so I think they would move a good amount of air. Maybe they could also be swapped out for something that is quieter or better performing.