Completed Salvo Studios S402: ~9L Steel Console Style Case

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
120mm slim fans that are sub 15mm:
  • ( 12mm) Scythe Slip Stream 120mm x 12mm Fan - 1600 RPM (SY1212SL12M)
  • (13mm) Raijintek aeoleus B
  • (13mm) raijintek aeoleus a (140mm fan with 120mm fan mounts)
  • (13mm) cryorig xt140 (140mm fan with 120mm fan mounts)
  • (13mm) Silverstone fw141 (140mm fan with 120mm fan mounts)
  • (13mm) Thermalright Ty14013R (140mm fan with 120mm fan mounts)

Sub 15mm 92mmm fans:

• (14mm) Noctua nf-a9x14
  • (13mm) Thermalright ty-100r (100mm fan with 92mm fan holes)

Sub 15mm 80mm fans:

• (10mm) scythe SC8010KH12H-P

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
@grsychckn if you'd like to test out the raijintek aeoleus b (120mmx13mm), ty100r (100mmx13mm) and the 80mmx10mm scythe fan.
Thank you, I actually had just ordered the Scythe Slip Stream 120x12 before I posted that message. Should I find a need to test other fans I'll let you know.

I received the second prototype yesterday and discovered only 4 things that need to be addressed. Most are quite minor, but one is the rear IO MB cutout. For some reason it is off by 0.05" x 0.05" which makes connecting devices very difficult. I measured it with my calipers, but the real question is if I'm willing to go to production without yet another prototype. The rear IO panel is kind of a big deal if it's wrong. I'm thinking I'm going to take the risk though because there is a decent amount of tolerance available for error and I'm quite confident in my measurements.

Speaking on the height clearance again: I don't think I'm going to alter the width to allow for taller coolers. What I think I'm going to do instead is offer panel spacers again but this time I'm probably going to make two different thicknesses (1/8" and 1/4"). Unfortunately, I don't know when I'll be able to make the spacers again but the 1/4" ones should allow for near 65mm clearance and if you combine a 1/4" and an 1/8" spacer, you could go up to 68mm.

My plan is to have the production design finished along with all the drawings, models, and patterns by the end of the week. This means I should have an estimate on the production date within the next week or so.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Most are quite minor, but one is the rear IO MB cutout. For some reason it is off by 0.05" x 0.05" which makes connecting devices very difficult. I measured it with my calipers, but the real question is if I'm willing to go to production without yet another prototype. The rear IO panel is kind of a big deal if it's wrong. I'm thinking I'm going to take the risk though because there is a decent amount of tolerance available for error and I'm quite confident in my measurements.

0.05" is around 1.27mm. Quite substantial if you ask me, especially when we're talking about motherboard IO shield (which is always a pain, i understand)

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
0.05" is around 1.27mm. Quite substantial if you ask me, especially when we're talking about motherboard IO shield (which is always a pain, i understand)
Yes, it makes it nearly unusable without modification to the rear IO shield or cutout. That is why I'm making the change for the final production. I'm willing to take the risk for final production because it costs me around $1.5k and 4 weeks to have another prototype made. Part of the reason for this being off so much is because the MB standoffs are taller than I expected by 0.025". I'm going to discuss this with the fabricator as I don't care if it's off, but I need to ensure it is consistent for production. I'm going to be working on the final design all day today as I was at work until 3AM so I don't need to go in today. Hopefully I'll be able to get much of the design finished and the drawings/models ready to send them by the end of the day today.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Figured out my rear IO problem. I had adjusted the rear IO cutout for my last prototype but forgot to call out the changes in my drawings when I submitted to the shop. They must be translating my noted changes on files they have in house because the rear IO had the same location measurements as the previous revision. I made sure to call out the changes now and am very confident they will be good to go. All drawings have been updated and are awaiting my final review before I submit them to the shop for production. I was warned by them that their suppliers are a little behind and only expect further problems as this situation lingers.

As soon as I get some information, I'll update here. Oh, and I finally bought some new photography equipment so I'm going to work on getting some more photos of the S401 prototype #1 (because it's painted).

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Final designs have been submitted to the fabricator. Going to clean out some of my study for the photo equipment and try to get some better pictures.

For product photography, angle is important. Lighting is your friend, and, bright window, white wall & white ceiling can help in a pinch :)

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Additionally, I've decided to include 3 x 70mm slim PWM fans with each case. Admittedly, they aren't great quality but they are free. The removable handle will also be included because I'm not adding the additional cost of the hex bar and fastening labor.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Are you considering on sending one Prototype#2 to OptimumTech for review?
I have one contact that I'm planning on sending my Prototype #2 for feedback/review. I want to wait to contact the larger channels when I get the final product. Prototype #2 still has a few issues (including that it's unpainted) and so I'd rather wait until after I have them in stock to send any out.

The good news is that I'm only having 100 units made so I don't really need a lot of promotions/ads. I will reach out to several though once I get some units in stock and can ship them directly off the shelf. Thanks for the suggestion!

Here are some of the pictures I took today
S401_p2_1.jpg
S401_p2_2.jpg
S401_p2_3.jpg
S401_p2_4.jpg
S401_p2_5.jpg
S401_p2_6.jpg
S401_p2_7.jpg
S401_p2_8.jpg
S401_p2_9.jpg
S401_p2_11.jpg

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Just curious, on horizontal position, is it strong enough withstand a monitor placed on top of it? Say a 24 or 27 inch? Is it going to flex or.. ?

Also, the screws to attach those USB ports, are they going to be countersunk (flush) or just like in the picture?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Just curious, on horizontal position, is it strong enough withstand a monitor placed on top of it? Say a 24 or 27 inch? Is it going to flex or.. ?

Also, the screws to attach those USB ports, are they going to be countersunk (flush) or just like in the picture?

In horizontal position, I would not place a monitor on top. It *should* hold a light-weight (<10lbs) monitor, but you'd also be blocking all your intakes. I also can't guarantee it will work either so I won't have official support for it. I bulked up the vented panel as it is now 0.06" (16 gauge) to help avoid any bowing problems. I thought about adding a front and rear flange to help add rigidity, but the additional labor to bend each panel twice was definitely going to raise the costs.

I'm currently looking for replacement screws for those front USB ports. I will try to get them in a wafer screw like those that hold the panels on, but they will still stick out slightly. They will be expensive if I go with my current source for wafer-head screws (~$.38/each), but they are really nice and don't require any countersink/counterbore holes.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Here you go. One problem with this is that the slots won't allow for the 3/4-pin connectors to snake through. I think you would have to either solder a quick connect that you could feed through the vent holes, or you would have to snake the connectors through the rear IO near the GPU. Oh, and you probably would want to cover the external fans with a grill of some kind for protection.

S401_p2_23.jpg
S401_p2_24.jpg
S401_p2_25.jpg

Jerdz

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2019
Here you go. One problem with this is that the slots won't allow for the 3/4-pin connectors to snake through. I think you would have to either solder a quick connect that you could feed through the vent holes, or you would have to snake the connectors through the rear IO near the GPU. Oh, and you probably would want to cover the external fans with a grill of some kind for protection.

View attachment 514
View attachment 515
View attachment 516
I understand, I might need to drill an additional vertical hole on the empty for the fan connectors.

What does it look like if it fit a 2 slot card with that setup?

Is that radiator same size as the ones that come with an AIO; around 27mm thick?

Do you think you'll make spacers for the S402? I think I might need one.

Thank you for your work!