Completed Salvo Studios S402: ~9L Steel Console Style Case

Linero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2017
Definitely option #1. USB C remains somewhat a niche technology. Not only is it more expensive on its own. Mounting it is also costly. Yeah, no thank you. It's more flexible for both parties this way too.

Reactions: vanbeveren

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Option #3:
One USB type-A and type-C.
If you can find one that uses the single 20-pin (actually 19-pin) but gives you one of each type (of course only USB3.1 gen 1 speeds and no special type-c features like USB-PD), that might be your best option. I think keeping the motherboard connections to only the old USB3 connection is preferred, because all the new x570 ITX boards only provide that. Seems the new USB3.1 connector is only available on Z390 ITX and a few others like the ASUS DTX board.

jakemagee

Efficiency Noob
May 31, 2019
Man... its really sucks that you can't get the same option as the 401 had (Type-A/Type-C adapter via 20-pin mainboard header cable). I think given then current options, I'd vote for Option #4 ... nothing. I'm not a big fan of the mounting requirements for option #1. Option #2 is a little overkill ... not to mention (forgive my ignorance), how would you connect this USB hub to the motherboard? ... route a USB cable out to the motherboard back panel?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Man... its really sucks that you can't get the same option as the 401 had (Type-A/Type-C adapter via 20-pin mainboard header cable). I think given then current options, I'd vote for Option #4 ... nothing. I'm not a big fan of the mounting requirements for option #1. Option #2 is a little overkill ... not to mention (forgive my ignorance), how would you connect this USB hub to the motherboard? ... route a USB cable out to the motherboard back panel?
Seems like this is actually the best option. I'm reaching out to my supplier to be clear about whether or not this product has been discontinued. My understanding is that it has been discontinued but maybe just that SKU has changed or been updated. I'll know soon.

As for the USB cable, it comes with a USB Type A to 20-pin (19-pin?) adapter cable so at least one side of the connector (Type A) won't likely break a pin when plugging/unplugging.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Dual-A or 1-A and 1-C
Symmetry of Dual A would be very nice visually.

Is one single USB-C not an option?
One USB-C is an option actually but I know there are many who would want two on the front for connecting controllers. I don't know however how large a demand this is but I know they have made their voices heard.

My supplier says stock of the original USB adapter I use has been fully depleted and in order to buy more there is a MOQ of 100 units. If I wanted to buy just the PCB I'm looking at a MOQ of 500. Either way, it's going to be expensive but I'm waiting on the quotes.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Well, my source for the USB adapters got back to me and the cost is high. They want just over $12/ea adapter to buy the same units as last time. This is actually a similar price to what they charged me last time but the dual-USB 3.1 header cables I can purchase run around $3/ea. Also to consider that I have to purchase a ton of them upfront so while the average difference of $9/ea doesn't seem like much, when you're looking at using your own money to purchase 50-100 units upfront it can be quite a risk. The good news about using the old USB adapter though is that I already know where the mounts need to go so finalizing the design should be easy.

On another note, I finally go the C7/C7Cu AM4 90-degree adapter brackets from the fabricator. It's taken a looooooooooooong time but now that I have them I'll be running a test or two tonight and then I'm going to work on getting a final price on my website. As a reminder, these brackets will rotate the C7/C7Cu by 90-degrees so that the cooling fins are parallel with the RAM on most boards. Right now, the C7 fins are perpendicular to the RAM slots and thus end up blowing air directly on the DIMMs next to the CPU. This adapter *should* allow for better airflow in the case. These are 14ga (0.075") stainless steel, laser cut plates with holes tapped for the C7 standoffs. This means you can reuse the backplate that came with your C7.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
First prototype of the S402 has been submitted to the fabricator. I think their current backlog is about 2 weeks but I'll know more in the next few days.

My wife and I have decided to move so I've got even less time now to get the S402 design finished as I'm also working on looking at new houses, applying for mortgages, cleaning up my current one, etc. Then I spent the first half of the day in the ER with my wife who we discovered has mono. It's amazing I get anything done while still working a full-time job (which I've been missing a lot of lately).

Regardless, as an update on the C7 brackets: This is J-Hack's design so I'm going to let him post the first ones for sale on his site and when I get a link I'll post it here. After a few days, I'll put it up on my website. The price after shipping will be very similar between my site and his. Shipped price will be around $15. I can say that I've been running the adapter on my C7 Cu for over a week without issue. Initially I ran some Prime95 tests before and after the brackets were installed but they were really inconclusive because my fan curve was set to passively I think. The good news is that now I can install a 120mm fan on my C7 Cu because it won't interfere with the RAM.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
BTW, I have two different designs for the USB front panel on the S402. The first prototype will have the dual-Type A inlets on the front but that doesn't mean I've fully decided yet, but I'm definitely leaning that way for multiple reasons.

Reactions: annasoh323

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
First prototype of the S402 has been submitted to the fabricator. I think their current backlog is about 2 weeks but I'll know more in the next few days.

My wife and I have decided to move so I've got even less time now to get the S402 design finished as I'm also working on looking at new houses, applying for mortgages, cleaning up my current one, etc. Then I spent the first half of the day in the ER with my wife who we discovered has mono. It's amazing I get anything done while still working a full-time job (which I've been missing a lot of lately).

Regardless, as an update on the C7 brackets: This is J-Hack's design so I'm going to let him post the first ones for sale on his site and when I get a link I'll post it here. After a few days, I'll put it up on my website. The price after shipping will be very similar between my site and his. Shipped price will be around $15. I can say that I've been running the adapter on my C7 Cu for over a week without issue. Initially I ran some Prime95 tests before and after the brackets were installed but they were really inconclusive because my fan curve was set to passively I think. The good news is that now I can install a 120mm fan on my C7 Cu because it won't interfere with the RAM.
Checked things here once more before heading out the door. Good news about the C7 brackets! I saw some chatter on @Thehack's dedicated thread for the brackets that Cryorig may be pulling out of the US. A bit of a bummer if true but I suppose tariffs can do that. Still, I'm sure there are plentiful existing C7's in the wild and with Ryzen 3000 in full swing, lots of folks are possibly looking to extract the max performance from their AM4 builds.

On that topic... anyone have a favorite AM4 motherboard? (I've got to revisit the S401 thread for motherboard compatibility stuff).

Oh, and congrats on the decision to move (I think). Since you say you're looking for new houses, I assume that it's triggered by your current house somehow not meeting your needs and not because you've found a dream house elsewhere? I haven't decided if HGTV is healthy for people looking for homes... on the one hand, you can see what people are getting into and maybe get ideas. On the other hand, holy moly that house is nice and I'll never be able to afford it in a million years.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Checked things here once more before heading out the door. Good news about the C7 brackets! I saw some chatter on @Thehack's dedicated thread for the brackets that Cryorig may be pulling out of the US. A bit of a bummer if true but I suppose tariffs can do that. Still, I'm sure there are plentiful existing C7's in the wild and with Ryzen 3000 in full swing, lots of folks are possibly looking to extract the max performance from their AM4 builds.

On that topic... anyone have a favorite AM4 motherboard? (I've got to revisit the S401 thread for motherboard compatibility stuff).

Oh, and congrats on the decision to move (I think). Since you say you're looking for new houses, I assume that it's triggered by your current house somehow not meeting your needs and not because you've found a dream house elsewhere? I haven't decided if HGTV is healthy for people looking for homes... on the one hand, you can see what people are getting into and maybe get ideas. On the other hand, holy moly that house is nice and I'll never be able to afford it in a million years.
The move is mostly because we've outgrown our current house and two trees hitting it in three years. Plus, if we decide to go with new construction I won't have near the same demands on my time for fixing things around the house.

Reactions: annasoh323

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Thread is worthless without images.

Looking great!

On the other hand, holy moly that house is nice and I'll never be able to afford it in a million years.

Or you do buy it, and realize that you're now sucked into the gardening/landscaping time sink to keep it looking nice instead of playing with your SFF toys hahaha.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
In your renders does the back of GPU have a filter recess?
Regardless it looks good, cant wait to buy the final design!
It's an illusion. Instead of a solid back cover panel, it now has a large hole for the back vent. This vent will be useful for 120mm AIO, 240mm radiators, or 120mm fans. The new rear "solid" panel just has a large hole cut out to allow for the exposed vents.