Completed S401: Salvo Studios <8L mITX Steel Unibody Chassis w/ GPU & CPU fans in same direction

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
First thoughts, and excuse the kiwi-ism: This thing is built like a brick outhouse. Only two things will survive the nuclear apocalypse - cockroaches and the S401.
You guys have brick outhouses? Nice.

Ah, how fun. I just worked through the entire unboxing and review... and my SD card died. XD

Anywho, here's a few teaser shots, I'll unbuild the case and retake all the photos.

@confusis, thanks for all the hard work. I'm sure it's especially hard if you're still under the weather. If you have any questions for me let me know. Out of curiosity, why did you choose the GPU to be oriented on top?

Last edited by a moderator:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I love the look of the case, the steel looks really industrial and the acrylic sets it off nicely.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
@grsychckn I chose the configuration as I prefer to run the majority of IO cables as low as possible to avoid a case tipping over - It's a force of habit after having cables pull a system over, cracking a few acrylic panels on a custom build years ago!

Will let you know of any questions :) I'm mulling over a slightly different review format with this one - will see how it pans out!

I'm currently running at about 75% so i'm on the mend, thankfully.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
@grsychckn I chose the configuration as I prefer to run the majority of IO cables as low as possible to avoid a case tipping over - It's a force of habit after having cables pull a system over, cracking a few acrylic panels on a custom build years ago!

Will let you know of any questions :) I'm mulling over a slightly different review format with this one - will see how it pans out!

I'm currently running at about 75% so i'm on the mend, thankfully.

Good to hear - I'll be curious then if you find anything notable about running in that orientation (don't forget it can go horizontal as well!). Thanks again for the time you're putting in.

Sparkles

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2018
Annnnnd some updates! I grabbed another S401 from a friend that's back today and did some testing with his riser and RTX 2080. Good news, the 2080 works with both risers. Not so good news, the 680 works with neither. Final note, the ports on the 2000 series GPUs is a VERY tight fit on the back.

Now I just wait for my GPU! Ha!

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Some good news, @Sparkles! Seeing the M1 side by side with the S401 makes tells me I probably won't be building in it unless I had more airflow needs (and more space). I intend to take some RVZ02/S401 shots when mine comes in even though I know @papayo has done ML08/S400 shots already. That RTX card does look tantalizing in there. I wonder about the port spacing - could it have to do with the placement of the riser? Or is the RTX I/O just spaced differently? I'm leaning toward the latter since I'm certain @grsychckn would have caught something like that with the current/last gen cards he has.

Aside: at first, the gap above the video card bracket bothered me. Then I remembered that pretty much every face of this case has some aspect drilled, cut, or otherwise open to the environment that such a tiny hole is negligible. Was this what you meant when you were talking about things you would change, @grsychckn?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Some good news, @Sparkles! Seeing the M1 side by side with the S401 makes tells me I probably won't be building in it unless I had more airflow needs (and more space). I intend to take some RVZ02/S401 shots when mine comes in even though I know @papayo has done ML08/S400 shots already. That RTX card does look tantalizing in there. I wonder about the port spacing - could it have to do with the placement of the riser? Or is the RTX I/O just spaced differently? I'm leaning toward the latter since I'm certain @grsychckn would have caught something like that with the current/last gen cards he has.

Aside: at first, the gap above the video card bracket bothered me. Then I remembered that pretty much every face of this case has some aspect drilled, cut, or otherwise open to the environment that such a tiny hole is negligible. Was this what you meant when you were talking about things you would change, @grsychckn?

Regarding the GPU IO holes: I'm a little surprised your case off. It appears in the photo that the PCIe mounting standoffs are at least two millimeters off. The odd thing is how it is slightly slanted which says to me the holes for the GPU mounting screws are not lined up with the PCIe slot. Also, the Nvidia logo appears to be centered so it's hard to tell if the ports are intentionally off center. Either way, there is slight lean to it that kinda bothers me more than how close the edge is to the interface ports. That top display port is cutting it close.

@annasoh323, the change I was thinking wouldn't be that hole in the back but rather the two screw holes that are holding the GPU in place on that tab. I think I would either move them out from the GPU bracket a little more or reduce the diameter of the holes to a #4-40. The #6-32 tapped holes I used on this design don't always play nice with the GPU IO bracket. They can be too wide and cause the IO bracket to back away from the inside of the chassis when they are tightened down.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I'm going to take a look at one of my remaining chassis and see how all my various GPUs fit to make sure this isn't a tolerance issue.

Reactions: chyll2

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Not really.

Yeah I couldn't fit the DP cable into that top port until I really cranked down on the rear support screws. Probably would be a bit nicer if the holes were a couple of mm bigger to account for any tolerance offset.

I test fit several GPUs and took some (bad) pictures. I knew the GTX 260 had a problem with the S-Video jack but didn't notice any other GPUs have the same problem. I eventually used a hybrid design from multiple online resources to conclude my design. I think it's a good design that works for most video cards. The only card I'm aware of that has a problem with the back slots blocking access is the GTX 260.

So, my initial position is that the design works but could be enhanced. I am going to see if the shop can make some changes before they fabricate the next 100 units. These will include moving the left (lower) GPU slot a milli or two to give more tolerance for the IO interfaces. Then, I'm going to request opening up the slots so that interfaces near the GPU tab won't be so tight. I have to be careful though as making the metal too thin near the tab will result in distortion when the tab is bent.

Because the current design doesn't prohibit GPU interfaces being used (other than the GTX260), I will stand by the design even if these changes can't be made. Of course, if anyone finds they can't use their GPU because of clearance in the rear, I ask you contact me and I'll be eager to help make you happy with your S401 purchase.

Changes or no, the next batch of chassis will be completed in about 3 weeks.

In other news, the Demciflex filters arrived today so I'm going to try to get a picture or two taken for the website, but I have two orders for those and shipping those out will be my priority. I've not been sleeping well for several nights - I think the acorns falling on the house are waking my kids up and once I'm awake for more than 3 minutes I'm struggling to go back to sleep for an hour.

Last edited:

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
@grsychckn

I know you have a lot going on and I'm not in a huge rush to know, but just wondering about those L-brackets. :)

If you haven't had time, don't worry about it, you've got other, more pressing things(like family.... And sleep). Just wondering if you happened to forget or haven't gotten around to it yet. :)

Thanks grsy!!

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
@grsychckn

I know you have a lot going on and I'm not in a huge rush to know, but just wondering about those L-brackets. :)

If you haven't had time, don't worry about it, you've got other, more pressing things(like family.... And sleep). Just wondering if you happened to forget or haven't gotten around to it yet. :)

Thanks grsy!!

I haven't forgotten. I ordered an acrylic panel to test the new laser path with but I think I still need to modify it some so I can place support underneath the panel while I cut. As it stands, I'd have to cut the acrylic on the standard honeycomb platform which reflects the beam when the laser cuts over it and you end up with a non-smooth edge. Are you one that's been waiting on the Demciflex filters for your order to ship? If so, I should have the acrylic panel Wednesday and I can add that to your order. If not but you want to buy a set contact me via e-mail and I'll get you a set from what I cut with this piece.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Let me add that I've already tested the acrylic spacers with the Noctua A9 PWM (25mm depth) and it doesn't add enough depth for the fan to clear the vented panel. You would still need 3 or 4 more mm. I think a true 1/4" spacer would be enough, but the 1/4" acrylic sheets I get from my supplier are 0.220". I'll also try to get a measurement relative to the C7 to determine what the new CPU heatsink clearance would be. Putting that on my list of things I need to do.

Reactions: annasoh323

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Are you one that's been waiting on the Demciflex filters for your order to ship?

I am not. Just waiting on this and $ to come before I jump on board. :)

Thanks for the update on the L-brackets! I'll keep waiting for them :)

As for the 25mm fan, I think you'll need 59-60 mm clearence. Stock heatsink with fan is 48mm high, the nf-a9x14 increases it to ~49mm. Then add the 11mm required for the new fan. ~59-60mm total.

That being said, I'm planning a switch to a ddifferent CPU Cooler. I'm thinking the id-cooling is-60 or the raijintek Pallas micro.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

DSmithBYU

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 26, 2018
Decided to carpe diem the transplant despite being sick.

Yes, bad cable management but an intriguing project!!

A few points:

1. Yeah, as Sparkles and grsy have noted, there's a issue with the slot. I was able to use the last DP port of the Zotac 1060 6GB despite the slot blocking DP port #1. \

2. Not all 3.5" HDDs are compatible if said HDD has this type of bottom mounting for screws.

3. I'm gonna ask Cablemod if they can make compatible, shorter SF600 cables.

Thanks for a great ITX chassis, grsychckn!!!