Completed S401: Salvo Studios <8L mITX Steel Unibody Chassis w/ GPU & CPU fans in same direction

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Pictures of the Demciflex filter

Those filters are glorious! I don't know why but it looks way better than two standard sizes put back to back. Really glad you were able to work these out with Demciflex. Just perfect.

Got about 3 hours sleep last night. Running on fumes, but I did manage to get all outstanding orders shipped today. I even got pictures of the filter but of course I left the SD card inside the camera at home. I also managed to measure the spacers when installed to see the delta between the C7 with and without spacers. Without the spacers, there is 5mm of clearance between the C7 and the vented panel. With the spacers that gap improves to 10mm. Keeping in mind that the steel vented panel adds 1mm of clearance because of the rolled edges, the overall height for a CPU heatsink/fan improves from 52mm to 57mm. You might be able to fit a 58mm cooler in with the spacers but it would be tight and you'd definitely have to use the steel panel for that extra clearance over the acrylic.

Hope things take a turn for the better as far as sleep goes. It's been a bit unnaturally warm here so that's what interrupts my sleep sometimes. The info about the spacer clearance is good to know. If it were me, I might be perfectly happy stealing the last couple of millimeters with a washer on the screws. Doing that to cover the whole ~13 mm was a bit hard to sell, but if it's just the last little bit, that wouldn't be too bad. I'm not throwing out my Noctua yet! (I swapped to a slim Thermalright fan and brought my lightly OC'd 7600K back to full stock settings. I'm hoping the extra 60mm will make enough of a difference to maybe go back to trying to tweak upwards a bit. Sound profile is still pretty great!)

Couple of quick shots with the case layout + the GPU ports. Like I mentioned before, cable management is pretty dirty ATM and needs a cleanup later on, but mostly making sure everything was working. Placeholder CPU fan taking up as much space as humanly possible haha. No issues with the GPU ports.

That EVGA card and the Wraith cooler are <looks up a word other than "glorious" because I already used it in the post> spectacular! I didn't realize those patterns on the card lit up. That's fantastic. It's also too bad that the Wraith doesn't fit in many low profile cases because it's hands-down the coolest stock cooler out there.

Totbot

Cable Smoosher
Aug 11, 2018
It's also too bad that the Wraith doesn't fit in many low profile cases because it's hands-down the coolest stock cooler out there.

Yeah, I'm not much of an RGB head but I'm tempted to keep the fan and try to mod it onto something later. The patterns it goes through are pretty soothing haha.

Reactions: annasoh323

minh278

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Oct 10, 2018
I completed a build using the following:
-Ryzen r7 1800x
-Silverstone sfx 650
-Corsair lpx 16gb 2400mhz
-Cryorig c7 cu (replaced stock fan with 120mm noctua the thin one)
-gtx 1080ti
-samsung 256 gb m.2

The case is the best build quality case i have ever built in. I find the handle really useful.

Installation was relatively fast and simple.

Components are a tight fit. Especially the GPU area.

Temperatures with a c7 cu hovers around 60C while gaming for me. You will not be overclocking with the c7 cu. It usually is around 3.7 Ghz, no throttling i can tell.

Only change is there is possibly space for another 60mm fan in the front panel area where the gpu is (less pretty with a fan though, i might drill hole for one).

Sahaj

Average Stuffer
Dec 10, 2017
Ok, us S400 dudes are getting jealous... :)

All this excitement over the S401 caused me to bug grsychkn endlessly about giving his laser cutter a test drive. Works great on the original S400 case!

Acrylic used was the mirrored red for those of you going through the S401 selection and build process, with the laser cut done on the inside, though this also visually exposes the back of the mainboard depending on your design and how much you etch away.

Happy building!

Sparkles

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2018
Temperatures with a c7 cu hovers around 60C while gaming for me. You will not be overclocking with the c7 cu. It usually is around 3.7 Ghz, no throttling i can tell.

That sounds like that's pretty good. On my C7 cu and i7 7700K I'm getting around 46-52 idle/basic usage and 60+ while gaming. Kinda wonk that the ASUS Z270i board has MASSIVE mosfet and VRM heatsinks that box it completely in. I tried running without the top heatsink to allow a direct airflow path from the fins to the top two fans. That being said, I ran into some weird stability issues but no heat ones though. Been running this board for about 1.5 years so I know it's rock solid. Ended up putting the heatsink back on and lo and behold, really no temp changes and stability stuff seemed to fix itself. Top fans really aren't pulling much heat unless running benchmarks, so they either stay off (CPU temp fan curve) or spin very low/quiet. Really the case acts almost like an open bench, which is pretty cool and keeps the whole rig dead silent.

Sparkles

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2018
And time for another update/build! Buddy of mine that got my GTX 1080 for his new rig!

Quick specs:
  • ASUS Z370i motherboard
  • Intel i5 8600K
  • Cryorig C7 CPU cooler
  • 16GB RAM
  • Corsair SF 450 PSU
  • GTX 1080 Founder's Edition
  • Gelid case fans
Last of the three of us is getting his parts in for us to help him build it this weekend (hopefully if no delays). Will be able to post a family portrait of THREE S401s. :-)

papayo

Caliper Novice
Jun 4, 2018
Finally got to plug the system in. Happy to report everything turned on. Ran some quick benchmarks to see how thermals compared with the S400: At load, CPU and GPU running 3C cooler, system temp 5C cooler. Hex vent pattern and slightly larger volume in action I suppose? Haven't even set up the fans yet so this is looking good. Great job grsy!

Edit: I'm already loving the easier access with just 4 screws to remove the top.

Reactions: annasoh323

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
So many great posts!

I completed a build using the following:
-Ryzen r7 1800x
-Silverstone sfx 650
-Corsair lpx 16gb 2400mhz
-Cryorig c7 cu (replaced stock fan with 120mm noctua the thin one)
-gtx 1080ti
-samsung 256 gb m.2

The case is the best build quality case i have ever built in. I find the handle really useful.

Installation was relatively fast and simple.

Components are a tight fit. Especially the GPU area.

Only change is there is possibly space for another 60mm fan in the front panel area where the gpu is (less pretty with a fan though, i might drill hole for one).

That's a beast of a system. It'd be kind of cool for S400/S401 folks to host our own Performance per Liter contest... except it'd be just a straight up performance competition.

Ok, us S400 dudes are getting jealous... :)

All this excitement over the S401 caused me to bug grsychkn endlessly about giving his laser cutter a test drive. Works great on the original S400 case!

Acrylic used was the mirrored red for those of you going through the S401 selection and build process, with the laser cut done on the inside, though this also visually exposes the back of the mainboard depending on your design and how much you etch away.

Happy building!

That's a great cut of acrylic. I'm grateful to you S400 folks since that's how I got into this forum in the first place.

That sounds like that's pretty good. On my C7 cu and i7 7700K I'm getting around 46-52 idle/basic usage and 60+ while gaming. Kinda wonk that the ASUS Z270i board has MASSIVE mosfet and VRM heatsinks that box it completely in. I tried running without the top heatsink to allow a direct airflow path from the fins to the top two fans. That being said, I ran into some weird stability issues but no heat ones though. Been running this board for about 1.5 years so I know it's rock solid. Ended up putting the heatsink back on and lo and behold, really no temp changes and stability stuff seemed to fix itself. Top fans really aren't pulling much heat unless running benchmarks, so they either stay off (CPU temp fan curve) or spin very low/quiet. Really the case acts almost like an open bench, which is pretty cool and keeps the whole rig dead silent.

Good to see those are your idle temps. I was getting worried about my 7600K's idle temps but it looks similar to yours. I'm encouraged... and ready to get back into testing my limits. I have the budget Z270 Gigabyte board - no frills no thrills. Works for me except for questionable USB 3 header placement.

And time for another update/build! Buddy of mine that got my GTX 1080 for his new rig!

Quick specs:
  • ASUS Z370i motherboard
  • Intel i5 8600K
  • Cryorig C7 CPU cooler
  • 16GB RAM
  • Corsair SF 450 PSU
  • GTX 1080 Founder's Edition
  • Gelid case fans
Last of the three of us is getting his parts in for us to help him build it this weekend (hopefully if no delays). Will be able to post a family portrait of THREE S401s. :-)

That's a sick logo. Triple S401's will be epic!

I have a reference EVGA 1080 and found my port placement the same as your friend's.

Finally got to plug the system in. Happy to report everything turned on. Ran some quick benchmarks to see how thermals compared with the S400: At load, CPU and GPU running 3C cooler, system temp 5C cooler. Hex vent pattern and slightly larger volume in action I suppose? Haven't even set up the fans yet so this is looking good. Great job grsy!

Edit: I'm already loving the easier access with just 4 screws to remove the top.
This is why I want this! I love my s400, but the ease of getting into this one is so much better. :)

Especially with the thumb screws! It's way easier than the RVZ02 as well. I sadly don't have much hard temp data to go off of. However, I'll try firing up some games and see what I get there. I vaguely remember what sort of temps I had while playing. I don't expect my blower card to have much improvement but I'm hopeful that the extra fans will give my CPU a little help. We'll also see how noise is with all the fans now facing me.

Reactions: Sparkles

Totbot

Cable Smoosher
Aug 11, 2018
Finally got the AM4 bracket for my C7 in so the system is finally sealed!

Still some additional cable management that I'll do come it's first routine cleaning when I'm taking more stuff out. C7 is outperforming expectations with the 2700x - Prime95 has been running for 20 minutes and it peaked at 75. This is without any case fans running in vertical orientation, room temperature ~72 degrees fahrenheit. When I get some time I'm going to run some more complete benchmarks with 3dmark etc to get a more complete picture, but thermals are really solid so far.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Whats The diffrent between The 400 and 401? I Will get my 401 on monday so exited :D

Good to hear @Xccapman! I'm not one of the original S400 owners but as I recall, it had the following differences (not in any particular order):
S400: slightly smaller in most dimensions, centered power button, built-in RGB lighting and controller, no fan mounts, different ventilation pattern, different stand mount, different construction (i.e. body panels were bent in different directions), and different material (aluminum vs. galvannealed steel). See @Sahaj's post above. There's also a size comparison photo earlier in the thread. Also, check out the old thread.
I think the gist of it is that the S401 is pretty much a full redesign of the S400 while maintaining the core DNA of the S400. If you've ever seen the Silverstone mITX Ravens (RVZ01 through 3) side by side, you'll see they're similar in philosophy but have drastic differences in construction and aesthetics. I'm hoping someone with both (only @papayo?) will be able to chime in about how the experiences of each one differs.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Good to hear @Xccapman! I'm not one of the original S400 owners but as I recall, it had the following differences (not in any particular order):
S400: slightly smaller in most dimensions, centered power button, built-in RGB lighting and controller, no fan mounts, different ventilation pattern, different stand mount, different construction (i.e. body panels were bent in different directions), and different material (aluminum vs. galvannealed steel). See @Sahaj's post above. There's also a size comparison photo earlier in the thread. Also, check out the old thread.
I think the gist of it is that the S401 is pretty much a full redesign of the S400 while maintaining the core DNA of the S400. If you've ever seen the Silverstone mITX Ravens (RVZ01 through 3) side by side, you'll see they're similar in philosophy but have drastic differences in construction and aesthetics. I'm hoping someone with both (only @papayo?) will be able to chime in about how the experiences of each one differs.
I also plan to upgrade because I like the idea of possibly expanding the CPU cooler area. With L-bracket implementation. (EsssEssenti proving w
Either a quieter system or a higher overclocked system.). :)

Reactions: grsychckn

papayo

Caliper Novice
Jun 4, 2018

You got the big stuff. Some other things that come to mind are a more elegant mounting solution for the PSU, as well as the mount point for the GPU ribbon cable, added cable tie locations, and a general streamlining of screws and tools needed to work on the case. GPU compatibility was improved by allowing for wider and longer cards with minimal changes to exterior dimensions.

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
You got the big stuff. Some other things that come to mind are a more elegant mounting solution for the PSU, as well as the mount point for the GPU ribbon cable, added cable tie locations, and a general streamlining of screws and tools needed to work on the case. GPU compatibility was improved by allowing for wider and longer cards with minimal changes to exterior dimensions.

Also the S401 added support for 3.5" drives and SFX-L PSUs.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Aw, man, @annasoh323, I think I missed it! The featured build on my homepage is something else.

You got one of them there screenshots? :)
Sorry, no :(

Edit: It's ironic. The Featured Build I'm seeing now is a hardline water cooled H200i "mini" ITX build. Sad. But I swear I did see your picture. It's how I recognized it so quickly.

Edit2: I still gave it a +1. It's a really cool build. Sorry.

Last edited:

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Well, here's my build log on PCPP. I was going to make a thread in the Build Log sub here but the PCPP formatting is pretty different so it'll take some work to translate it over. I owe it to @grsychckn to show my appreciation for sure! (last check though, it was awaiting moderation. Hopefully not too long)