Completed S401: Salvo Studios <8L mITX Steel Unibody Chassis w/ GPU & CPU fans in same direction

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Website updated to include fans, demciflex filters, and 2.5/3.5" stackers. S401 is now available again for a short time.

Once I feel there are no obvious problems with the S401, I'll give the green light to my fabricator who will move forward making the remaining cases I ordered. It will probably be two weeks before he'll be finished with those so it's possible I'll run out of stock before then.

Also, I was only able to order a portion of the PCIe extenders I need in order to have one for each case and now they are telling me it's going to take 4 weeks to get the rest manufactured. I should have enough to handle orders until I can get more, but there's yet another supply issue I could have to deal with. Of course, these would be good problems to have as it would suggest sales are great. My past experience has been orders tend to trickle in, sometimes in bursts.
Once mine is in, I'll make sure to try to note any comments I have. I'm expecting half of those to be id10+ issues so I'll try to sort comments on the "my fault" spectrum. I never realized the amount of outside resources you need to bring in for this.

I'll have to set a reminder for myself to swing over to send in an order for the filters... maybe fans too? I may need to get a fan for my desk. The AC's been down, the weather's been warm, and my computer monitor here gets awfully toasty. Price of productivity (or at least a big monitor).

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Let me also clarify: there will be no "obvious" problems with the S401. If it was obvious it would have been fixed already (and I wouldn't have sold it). I should say if any new problems are discovered, I have a very small window to make tweaks. I am already aware of some things I would revise if I were making a new version, but some things must be left the way they are for the sake of my sanity (and finalizing the design). I honestly don't expect anything to surprise me as I've already built a system with one of these new cases and everything is as expected. I will not be altering the design unless there is a S401 v2.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Lastly, for those whose shipment was delayed: John (@confusis) will be receiving his S401 for review tomorrow. That means it took 1 day less to get to Auckland than it did to get to TX. o_O

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
SFFn is reviewing this?
Yes, been communicating with John for a while now. He's getting at least one of all my accessories as well as a set of custom panels. I don't know when he'll have time to actually review the S401 because I know he's busy - but I do know he'll have it in his hands tomorrow.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Let me also clarify: there will be no "obvious" problems with the S401. If it was obvious it would have been fixed already (and I wouldn't have sold it). I should say if any new problems are discovered, I have a very small window to make tweaks. I am already aware of some things I would revise if I were making a new version, but some things must be left the way they are for the sake of my sanity (and finalizing the design). I honestly don't expect anything to surprise me as I've already built a system with one of these new cases and everything is as expected. I will not be altering the design unless there is a S401 v2.

I was expecting that any comments I submitted would likely be tied into my specific component choices i.e. "folks using a Corsair SF450 should think about doing xyz..." I'm curious to see what tweaks you were thinking of making and if any of them have a homemade solution to make the S401 experience that much richer.

Lastly, for those whose shipment was delayed: John (@confusis) will be receiving his S401 for review tomorrow. That means it took 1 day less to get to Auckland than it did to get to TX. o_O

I don't understand... I live in the same blue ocean but close to 4000 miles closer! (fine... 6400 km.)

It's all good though. Any review by our fearless leader is a good time. It'll be cathartic to see what sort of data and pics he can generate.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I don't understand... I live in the same blue ocean but close to 4000 miles closer! (fine... 6400 km.)

To be fair, it cost over $100 to ship the review sample to him.

I was expecting that any comments I submitted would likely be tied into my specific component choices i.e. "folks using a Corsair SF450 should think about doing xyz..." I'm curious to see what tweaks you were thinking of making and if any of them have a homemade solution to make the S401 experience that much richer.

For one, everyone may notice that there are holes for a 120mm mount near the 2.5"/3.5" mounts on the main chassis. I would have liked to design a vent in the chassis so that an AIO could vent in/out on the "solid" side of the case. As it stands, there's a possibility a slim AIO might work but I don't have one to test with so I'm unsure how well it works (or if it even fits). Another change would be to move the 2.5" drive mounts on S-3/S-4 (near the front panel) so that a 25mm can be used at the same time as the 2.5" drives. This may be difficult to make work though as support for the SFX-L PSU could also cause interference. Lastly, I'm still not fond of the tapped holes for the GPU tab. There's really no good option for me though as the holes can't be too close to the main chassis as the process of bending the tab out would distort the holes and make them useless. This is why the holes try to leverage the edge notches on the GPU bracket as it places them farther out. All unnecessary changes but would cause another round of prototyping at a cost I can't justify when I already just break even on each case sold.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
To be fair, it cost over $100 to ship the review sample to him.

Yep, that'd do it. I have to remind myself that most of the world's freight still travels by slow boat, which I shouldn't have to do since basically every material possession I've ever owned and most of the food I've ever eaten has come from some place at least 2000 miles away from the lovely rock I call home.

For one, everyone may notice that there are holes for a 120mm mount near the 2.5"/3.5" mounts on the main chassis. I would have liked to design a vent in the chassis so that an AIO could vent in/out on the "solid" side of the case. As it stands, there's a possibility a slim AIO might work but I don't have one to test with so I'm unsure how well it works (or if it even fits). Another change would be to move the 2.5" drive mounts on S-3/S-4 (near the front panel) so that a 25mm can be used at the same time as the 2.5" drives. This may be difficult to make work though as support for the SFX-L PSU could also cause interference. Lastly, I'm still not fond of the tapped holes for the GPU tab. There's really no good option for me though as the holes can't be too close to the main chassis as the process of bending the tab out would distort the holes and make them useless. This is why the holes try to leverage the edge notches on the GPU bracket as it places them farther out. All unnecessary changes but would cause another round of prototyping at a cost I can't justify when I already just break even on each case sold.

I see. I agree that those are significant changes from design and expenses perspectives. For the GPU comment, are you talking about replacing a screwed-in tab with a bent tab that's one piece with the rest of the case?
Looking over this list, my mind is kind of boggled when as I'm reminded how many different configurations are possible in this case. Granted, something like the water cooling rad vent or non-standard PSU would require a bit of modding work.

A bit more thinking: In the case of an ITX video card + slim radiator (assuming it fits), I would think the value of the single 60mm fan goes up since it would help, potentially, with either feeding or exhausting radiator air (also assuming that such a person doesn't end up making vent holes on the backside). Who did that build in the S400?
Update: found - @cstein08 here

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
It's arrived! Alas, I'm home from work with a horrific cold, but I'll get one of my colleagues to drop it off to me this evening.
Yowza, that was quick. The delivery fairies have smiled upon you this day. We of the Salvo Syndicate* await the blessed word of the Morrison, Lord of the SFFN.

*Totally just made that up without any input from anyone. Also, no idea where this sort of High Medieval fantasy vibe of mine is coming from. I'm either playing too many video games or too few...

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Get well soon, SFFn leader!

Thanks for adding in the PWM fans, grsy! Buying now!

I refunded you $11 because for some reason my web builder will only allow me to enter one box size for all products. Therefore, it is quoting shipping on any and all items as if they are individually packaged inside the 18x16x6 box the S401 comes in. I'm working with them now to resolve this issue but if they can't I may have to find a new storefront/host.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Get well soon, SFFn leader!

Thanks for adding in the PWM fans, grsy! Buying now!
Thanks for that reminder. I headed over and put in an order for a filter and pair of fans. I've a few days before I'll need them (fans are for purposes of experimenting and the filter will be helpful whenever it arrives).

I refunded you $11 because for some reason my web builder will only allow me to enter one box size for all products. Therefore, it is quoting shipping on any and all items as if they are individually packaged inside the 18x16x6 box the S401 comes in. I'm working with them now to resolve this issue but if they can't I may have to find a new storefront/host.
Oof, I hope it doesn't come to you having to migrate your website. Or, if you do, I hope it would be a straightforward process. At the end of the day, I suppose that may be preferable to issuing individual refunds on a case-by-case basis (stupid case puns...)

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Are you, as of right now, selling the l-bracket acrylic case expander? If so how do I go about ordering that?

For those I haven't had a chance to figure out if I can make them for an affordable price. I still have to see what the maximum number are I can make compared to the cost of the acrylic sheets I can choose from. I'll do my best to have this figured out by Monday.

Reactions: annasoh323

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
For those I haven't had a chance to figure out if I can make them for an affordable price. I still have to see what the maximum number are I can make compared to the cost of the acrylic sheets I can choose from. I'll do my best to have this figured out by Monday.
If it doesn't work out, would you be able to provide your prototype dimensions so that DIYers could maybe figure out a way to make their own? I was thinking that a simple way to do it would be with thin wood sheets cut into strips, then cut to length with a nice corner miter cut if I was feeling special. I suppose the problem here is that the screws are only on the top and the bottom, thus requiring the L-shape at least in order to keep the sides secured to something. That probably makes any scheme with strips of material difficult to manage. It'd also probably be too big for a 3D print.. A post like this is proof of why I'm not allowed to use my dad's tools.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
If it doesn't work out, would you be able to provide your prototype dimensions so that DIYers could maybe figure out a way to make their own? I was thinking that a simple way to do it would be with thin wood sheets cut into strips, then cut to length with a nice corner miter cut if I was feeling special. I suppose the problem here is that the screws are only on the top and the bottom, thus requiring the L-shape at least in order to keep the sides secured to something. That probably makes any scheme with strips of material difficult to manage. It'd also probably be too big for a 3D print.. A post like this is proof of why I'm not allowed to use my dad's tools.

If it doesn't work out I'd be happy to share the DXF files. I need to play around with the orientation of the parts on the sheet to see if I can squeeze more in. I'll be working on this tomorrow and update once I figure out my most efficient method.

Update on the shipping for accessories: There is no update as my hosting company has sent my request off to their technical support staff to get an answer on how I can use different boxes for different products. For right now if you want any items, shoot me an e-mail at salvostudiosltd@gmail.com and I'll give you a direct shipping quote and can send a PayPal invoice for your items.