Completed S401: Salvo Studios <8L mITX Steel Unibody Chassis w/ GPU & CPU fans in same direction

Sparkles

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2018
Could be, but they are much more flexible from what I've heard. :)

Right, they're the same length, just sleeved. It was worth for me to spend a bit extra and have the extra flexibility and they look pretty nice tied up. That being said, you can take a hair dryer to the regular cables and form them to whatever shape you want.

Reactions: annasoh323

DSmithBYU

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 26, 2018
Looks like they are. That said, I don't want too much space eaten by the cables. Decent sized ATX connector, long and flexible CPU cable, decent sized SATA cables and cords and decent sized PCI-e cable.

And I have a RGB project to initiate sometime in 2019 once I upgrade the CPU, the C7 into the C7 RGB and mobo.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Decided to carpe diem the transplant despite being sick.

Yes, bad cable management but an intriguing project!!

A few points:

1. Yeah, as Sparkles and grsy have noted, there's a issue with the slot. I was able to use the last DP port of the Zotac 1060 6GB despite the slot blocking DP port #1. \

2. Not all 3.5" HDDs are compatible if said HDD has this type of bottom mounting for screws.

3. I'm gonna ask Cablemod if they can make compatible, shorter SF600 cables.

Thanks for a great ITX chassis, grsychckn!!!

If you are looking to save a few bucks I have purchased 2 sets of custom cables from AliExpress, lengths start at 200mm. Shipping takes a bit, about 30 days to the US, but they cost about 1/4 what CableMod wants.

Totbot

Cable Smoosher
Aug 11, 2018
Update on mine:

Finally got my parts in after some shipping delays. Overall, the build process was a lot easier than I expected, especially as I was using the default Corsair cables (outside of some SATA power splitters) for most of the wiring process. Cable management is currently a bit of a mess but no issues sealing the case - it's mostly aesthetic/airflow related. As far as the side GPU ports go, I have no issues with the EVGA 1070TI

As far as the setup goes, I did encounter one issue that's entirely my fault - I forgot to get the AM4 kit for the C7 . This means that I'm currently running the system without the side panel off to make room for the gigantic stock cooler that came with the 2700X - should be able to get that resolved once I get a new bracket in this week.

Even with the very questionable combination of meh cable management, a stock cpu cooler the pre-applied thermal paste, and running it in horizontal until I get the new cooler in and can seal it, seems to be performing beyond expectations. Ran it through the unigine benchmarks to make sure it wasn't going to blow on me and didn't see a temp above 70. Looking forward to when I can actually finish my build once I get the remaining parts. Thanks for all the hard work designing the case!

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Right, they're the same length, just sleeved. It was worth for me to spend a bit extra and have the extra flexibility and they look pretty nice tied up. That being said, you can take a hair dryer to the regular cables and form them to whatever shape you want.

Good info. My strategy is to see how well things work/look with stock and then maybe one day, get into cable sleeving. I have experience with crimps and heatshrink/sleeving; it'd be more a matter of getting materials and doing a decent looking job.

Wait, WHAT?!!?

Huh, would you look at that? What I really want to know is if it, you know, works better and is quieter... Specs and pics on the page tell me that it's physically the same thing which is a bit of a shame. Your RGB project sounds exciting though!

Update on mine:

Finally got my parts in after some shipping delays. Overall, the build process was a lot easier than I expected, especially as I was using the default Corsair cables (outside of some SATA power splitters) for most of the wiring process. Cable management is currently a bit of a mess but no issues sealing the case - it's mostly aesthetic/airflow related. As far as the side GPU ports go, I have no issues with the EVGA 1070TI

As far as the setup goes, I did encounter one issue that's entirely my fault - I forgot to get the AM4 kit for the C7 . This means that I'm currently running the system without the side panel off to make room for the gigantic stock cooler that came with the 2700X - should be able to get that resolved once I get a new bracket in this week.

Even with the very questionable combination of meh cable management, a stock cpu cooler the pre-applied thermal paste, and running it in horizontal until I get the new cooler in and can seal it, seems to be performing beyond expectations. Ran it through the unigine benchmarks to make sure it wasn't going to blow on me and didn't see a temp above 70. Looking forward to when I can actually finish my build once I get the remaining parts. Thanks for all the hard work designing the case!

2700X huh? Good deal. Hope that the C7 can keep it happily cool enough. Please post pics once you've got everything buttoned up!

Reactions: Poblopuablo

Totbot

Cable Smoosher
Aug 11, 2018
2700X huh? Good deal. Hope that the C7 can keep it happily cool enough. Please post pics once you've got everything buttoned up!

Yeah, I would've gone with just a 2600 or 2700 but I got the 2700x for about 60 bucks off so I figured might as well and sort out the cooling later. Worst case I can just clock it down to the base level until I figure out a better cooling solution. Will definitely post pictures when I get the chance - was up till 1 figuring out issues with my existing Windows install not liking the new USB ports so I just crashed straight away :)

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Haha that darn DP port on the top strikes again! Are you able to get a cable into it though?

Yeah, I'm definitely not happy with that. Nothing a Dremel wouldn't solve, but no one should have to do that to begin with. I still haven't heard back from the shop if they can make those modifications before they punch the next set. I'll say again: If anyone has problems with that top interface, let me know. I don't imagine too many people will be running with 2+ monitors where this will be a major problem but I don't have to like it.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Got about 3 hours sleep last night. Running on fumes, but I did manage to get all outstanding orders shipped today. I even got pictures of the filter but of course I left the SD card inside the camera at home. I also managed to measure the spacers when installed to see the delta between the C7 with and without spacers. Without the spacers, there is 5mm of clearance between the C7 and the vented panel. With the spacers that gap improves to 10mm. Keeping in mind that the steel vented panel adds 1mm of clearance because of the rolled edges, the overall height for a CPU heatsink/fan improves from 52mm to 57mm. You might be able to fit a 58mm cooler in with the spacers but it would be tight and you'd definitely have to use the steel panel for that extra clearance over the acrylic.

Sparkles

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2018
Yeah, I'm definitely not happy with that. Nothing a Dremel wouldn't solve, but no one should have to do that to begin with. I still haven't heard back from the shop if they can make those modifications before they punch the next set. I'll say again: If anyone has problems with that top interface, let me know. I don't imagine too many people will be running with 2+ monitors where this will be a major problem but I don't have to like it.

I should have posted a picture of it, but the 2080 FE was able to use it's top port. It technically overlapped the last bit of the hole, but I was still able to plug in the cable as it fits on the inside of the port. Might be a bit of a moot point between visual and functional.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
You could also just take apart the standard ribbon cable. It's a LOT more workable afterwards.
Interesting. Take them apart. Looks messier I'm sure tho, but more flexible would make sense. Even if you broke the 24pin into a couple sections , and not all the way down to individual wires, it'd be easier. :)

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Fun story: I finally got around to using my Mavic Air yesterday. I chased my sister on her paddleboard, though the 4K storage on the drone itself had run out by then. Still, I got some nice cinematic 4K footage of Oahu's North Shore. I had to drag my computer (Silverstone RVZ02) over to the other part of the house that has the 4K TV so I ran a little experiment: I unplugged everything (peripherals, monitor) except for power and WiFi. I then unplugged everything from my UPS except for the tower. I then unplugged the UPS and lugged the PC and the UPS over to the TV to watch my new footage in glorious 4K. Afterward, I reversed the process to bring it all back to my desk. It was a good experience and tells me, yes, I will be able to get good mileage out of that S401 handle. I just need one for my UPS now...

Another fun story: I have a certain package Out For Delivery! Hopefully, it's either listed for dropoff or the aforementioned sister is home. Hopefully she's not mad about being chased around by a friendly hovering drone.

Totbot

Cable Smoosher
Aug 11, 2018
Couple of quick shots with the case layout + the GPU ports. Like I mentioned before, cable management is pretty dirty ATM and needs a cleanup later on, but mostly making sure everything was working. Placeholder CPU fan taking up as much space as humanly possible haha. No issues with the GPU ports.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Pictures of the Demciflex filter