Completed S401: Salvo Studios <8L mITX Steel Unibody Chassis w/ GPU & CPU fans in same direction

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
So there doesn't seem to be a way to enable shipping as I'd like for the hosting services I've purchased. The problem is even if I upgrade to another site with more shipping features they won't provide the services I need and to add insult to injury they charge at least $40/month where I'm only paying $90/year right now. Either way, I think this means I'm going to have to change my pricing/shipping structure. I have to work with UPS to figure out what my true average shipping price is for domestic and international shipping. I'll then have to rebuild my shipping rates (or adjust the cost of each product) based on these averages. Here's hoping that I estimate everything correctly and don't end up losing lots of money on shipping.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
So there doesn't seem to be a way to enable shipping as I'd like for the hosting services I've purchased. The problem is even if I upgrade to another site with more shipping features they won't provide the services I need and to add insult to injury they charge at least $40/month where I'm only paying $90/year right now. Either way, I think this means I'm going to have to change my pricing/shipping structure. I have to work with UPS to figure out what my true average shipping price is for domestic and international shipping. I'll then have to rebuild my shipping rates (or adjust the cost of each product) based on these averages. Here's hoping that I estimate everything correctly and don't end up losing lots of money on shipping.

Hot dang that sounds stressful. :(

Sorry to hear the bad news. :( Good luck with setting it up and with calculations!!

Reactions: annasoh323

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018

Would it be possible to set it up where buyers get the estimate for their shipping choice but don't pay anything up front for shipping. Then, after getting the actual shipping label and things put together, you send a separate invoice for shipping? If you explained it as, "I'm getting you the best deal I can for the shipping speed you want," I wouldn't have any complaints. Have disclaimers up front and all that too.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Would it be possible to set it up where buyers get the estimate for their shipping choice but don't pay anything up front for shipping. Then, after getting the actual shipping label and things put together, you send a separate invoice for shipping? If you explained it as, "I'm getting you the best deal I can for the shipping speed you want," I wouldn't have any complaints. Have disclaimers up front and all that too.

That's a good idea, but after having reviewed my options I think I'm going to do is create multiple regions (can be countries and provinces/states) where I define flat shipping rates based on weight. That way users can know immediately what their shipping costs will be and it will allow me to bundle accessories with cases to save on shipping. It'll take a while to define all the rules, but at least it will be a good average value so I can be as fair as possible. My only problem would ensuring I cap the weight for one order such that I don't have to define rules every 10-11lbs.

This being a low-volume enterprise, I have to be very careful not to lose too much money here because I set a value wrong. Yet I don't want to lose business either. Probably going to keep me awake at night thinking about it even after I set the values initially.

Alright, new shipping rates have been published. Good luck everybody!

Seriously though, feel free to contact me if you're having problems with the shipping or associated costs.

I also think I found a way to produce the panel spacers for around $15 a set. I'm going to order some more acrylic and see if my new design works.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sparkles

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2018
Well, I'm all put together for now but Windows 10 keeps freezing on boot. I've narrowed it down to what looks like the riser cable as that's the only added part from my current build. Resetting my PC to rule the OS out. :-/ So far the chassis itself is super nice! I've already done one small mod to it too. Will post some pics once I sort out the above.

Reactions: grsychckn

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Well, I'm all put together for now but Windows 10 keeps freezing on boot. I've narrowed it down to what looks like the riser cable as that's the only added part from my current build. Resetting my PC to rule the OS out. :-/ So far the chassis itself is super nice! I've already done one small mod to it too. Will post some pics once I sort out the above.
Does your CPU have an iGPU? If you thought it might be the PCIe riser, then you could disco the riser and then try to boot with just iGPU. So, it posts but hangs on Windows loading?

Sparkles

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2018
Does your CPU have an iGPU? If you thought it might be the PCIe riser, then you could disco the riser and then try to boot with just iGPU. So, it posts but hangs on Windows loading?

Yeah iGPU works fine, GPU displaying the BIOS works fine, GPU without riser works fine. Just GPU + riser is freaking out. I just swapped in ANOTHER 680 (yes I had two from old SLI setup years ago, heh) and that didn't display anything.

Quickly running out of troubleshooting ideas. First build with any sort of PCIe riser so don't know if I'm missing something.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Yeah iGPU works fine, GPU displaying the BIOS works fine, GPU without riser works fine. Just GPU + riser is freaking out. I just swapped in ANOTHER 680 (yes I had two from old SLI setup years ago, heh) and that didn't display anything.

Quickly running out of troubleshooting ideas. First build with any sort of PCIe riser so don't know if I'm missing something.
Sounds like you're not missing anything. The extender is probably bad. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. The only thing left for me to suggest trying is to unmount the extender from the chassis and then connect your GPU up outside the case and see if that changes anything. Pay particular attention if bending the cable has any effects on the GPU's behavior.

Regardless, I'm going to package another extender up and ship it to you. I don't have a lookup of usernames on here to customers so please send me an e-mail with either your order # or your name and I'll try to get it shipped out tomorrow. I'm terribly sorry about the extender problem, I had confidence that these were tested before they were shipped to me so I guess I'm going to have to add checking the functionality of each one to my list of tasks before I pack more cases.

Last edited:
Reactions: annasoh323

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Sounds like you're not missing anything. The extender is probably bad. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. The only thing left for me to suggest trying is to unmount the extender from the chassis and then connect your GPU up outside the case and see if that changes anything. Pay particular attention if bending the cable has any effects on the GPU's behavior.

Regardless, I'm going to package another extender up and ship it to you. I don't have a lookup of usernames on here to customers so please send me an e-mail with either your order # or your name and I'll try to get it shipped out tomorrow. I'm terribly sorry about the extender problem, I had confidence that these were tested before they were shipped to me so I guess I'm going to have to add checking the functionality of each one to my list of tasks before I pack more cases.
I find it hard to believe Li-Heat would have multiple problems with their product knowing the kind of reputation they have. I wonder if the problem has something to with power delivery. I thought that Li-Heat extenders can't offer the same power draw as the baseline PCIe slot. Maybe the 680 power distro circuitry is getting confused by the change? Sorry for causing confusion if I totally just pulled that from my shady regions.

Sparkles

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2018

Well, pulled everything out of the case and tried flat on a the table with same results. I thought flattening out everything might spook it into working right! Ha! GPU directly into the board worked good. Funny with my last test, it was no display but GPU fan maxed. I guess it's just not talking to each other correctly. Ah well! Email is in your inbox and look forward to the replacement! Appreciate it!!

Sparkles

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2018
Ok well, I promised some pictures so no reason to have the riser snag slow me down!

Few highlights:
  • Replaced power switch with a 24mm Semitsu arcade button. Required drilling and filing out a bigger hole in the front. Also required shaving down the PSU cable for it to fit.
  • Pretty happy with the cable management I choose for the time being.
  • I mentioned previously about weekly LANs for the case. Well, the idea was to have this steel box match my arcade stick. It's now a set!
Quick specs:
  • ASUS Z270i motherboard with top VRM heatsink removed
  • Intel i7 7700K (not delided or OCed)
  • Cryorig C7 cu with 3D printed adapter for the Noctua NF-A9x14
  • 16 GB G.Skil RAM
  • Samsung 500GB 960 Evo m.2
  • Corsair SF600 PSU
  • Evercool 60mm×15mm PWM case fans (stupid loud at max speed, but really quiet when rangled in with fan control software. Moves a great amount of air especially with the C7 fins facing towards them. Hence the VRM heatsink removed.)
  • GTX 680 (Removed as fast as Best Buy will ship this darn RTX 2080 Ti. Last update was Nov. 9th. Sigh...)

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Ok well, I promised some pictures so no reason to have the riser snag slow me down!

Few highlights:
  • Replaced power switch with a 24mm Semitsu arcade button. Required drilling and filing out a bigger hole in the front. Also required shaving down the PSU cable for it to fit.
  • I mentioned previously about weekly LANs for the case. Well, the idea was to have this steel box match my arcade stick. It's now a set!
Quick specs:
  • 16 GB G.Skil RAM
  • Corsair SF600 PSU
  • Evercool 60mm×15mm PWM case fans (stupid loud at max speed, but really quiet when rangled in with fan control software. Moves a great amount of air especially with the C7 fins facing towards them. Hence the VRM heatsink removed.)
  • GTX 680 (Removed as fast as Best Buy will ship this darn RTX 2080 Ti. Last update was Nov. 9th. Sigh...)
Very nice :)

Those cables, are those custom or are they the premium Corsair cables?

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018

Few highlights:
Quick specs:
  • 16 GB G.Skil RAM
  • Corsair SF600 PSU

First one documented to hit the streets and you've already modded it! Amazing. It'd look great with a pair of those acrylic panels if the colors could possibly match the button or the controller in any way. Your cable work job looks spectacularly clean. There's actually a lot more room in there than I expected. What did this computer build live in previously?

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
First thoughts, and excuse the kiwi-ism: This thing is built like a brick outhouse. Only two things will survive the nuclear apocalypse - cockroaches and the S401.
I looked it up and realized that not all versions of the saying use "outhouse." Anyway, it's good to know that I have an impromptu shield if I ever go to a LAN party that gets a little too heated. Present the solid side panel annnndd run.

Any hints about the test system you'll use? Same one as the Raijintek review?

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Ah, how fun. I just worked through the entire unboxing and review... and my SD card died. XD

Anywho, here's a few teaser shots, I'll unbuild the case and retake all the photos.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Ah, how fun. I just worked through the entire unboxing and review... and my SD card died. XD

Anywho, here's a few teaser shots, I'll unbuild the case and retake all the photos.

Our condolences to your SD card. Sweet baby Moses, though, that scenery is gorgeous! The way the light shines through the acrylic, and the way the powedercoat looks like a muted gray color is stunning. Great goodness, I live in Hawaii and should be able to find backdrops that photogenic. I already know I'm going to have a hard time bringing my computer <shudders> outside.