S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Dezz

Chassis Packer
Jun 13, 2017
Thats the DA330PM111

Ah yeah I see now. The new 330 watt brick I just got is a GT1CX/LA330PM160 by Lite-On Technologies. The sticker is formatted differently as well. I can take a picture of it if someone wants. So far it's running great. Pushed my 7700k to a slight overclock and played Overwatch for a couple of hour without issue (Overwatch was causing my old brick to trip and cut power).

I'm still convinced that my old brick was genuine... Just not the "best" model

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Ah yeah I see now. The new 330 watt brick I just got is a GT1CX/LA330PM160 by Lite-On Technologies. The sticker is formatted differently as well. I can take a picture of it if someone wants. So far it's running great. Pushed my 7700k to a slight overclock and played Overwatch for a couple of hour without issue (Overwatch was causing my old brick to trip and cut power).

I'm still convinced that my old brick was genuine... Just not the "best" model

What was your old brick? I think many bricks bought from Amazon or eBay are genuine, but not every brick performs well. I recently did a test and bought six of the DA330s and they were all over the place in terms of stability.

Same for the LA models, but they are much tougher it seems and run cooler.

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
I went ahead and did this with a $50 Dynatron B6:

Only way that I know of to get an all-copper, vapor-chamber cooler for the 115X socket. If anyone knows a better way I'm all ears.

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
Those are terrible temps. Get an LP53 or an ITX30 .

That's an 8700k @ 4.6ghz on 6 cores at once, and anything that's not Prime95, including mining, seems to run at least 10c cooler than that.

You really think the LP53 heatsink would run cooler with the same fan? If so I'll buy one to test out.

Reactions: Biowarejak

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
That's an 8700k @ 4.6ghz on 6 cores at once, and anything that's not Prime95, including mining, seems to run at least 10c cooler than that.

You really think the LP53 heatsink would run cooler with the same fan? If so I'll buy one to test out.
that's not bad at all! An LP53 with an NHL9i fan, and the heatsink towers removed, should drop your temps considerably, at LEAST 5c all around I'd guess.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
@CubanLegend, could any problems arise from removing the heatsinks? Do the VRMs need them?
They're designed to run hot and be reliable at temperature. Especially on a high end board like that, where the heatsinks are largely aesthetic :) Considering the airflow you have going on, I don't think it will be a problem personally.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

palace97

Trash Compacter
Sep 6, 2017
**NEED HELP**

I was playing the new Far cry and all of a sudden my s4 mini classic just turned off and sounded like a pop noise. So I turned off the power and switched it back on and it seems completely dead with the LED on the motherboard and HD PLEX 400 not turning on. Through inspection the power lead was stuck and could not be removed, however managed to remove it after some time turning it to wiggle it out and looks like there is no damage on the both the lead and power slot. The power brick still lights green when turned it but seemed quite hot after the incident, upon some research i believe it could be a capacitor going beyond it's limit which could be the reason why it "popped". I have been running the system for close to 6 months with no problems since the initial build so really confused and concerned to why this has happened all of a sudden especially my looking at my config:

asus strix 270i motherboard
MSI gtx 1070 areo itx
i7 7700 (non k)
HD PLEX 400
noctuta cooler
2x 16gb hyper x 2666
DELL 330W power brick DA330PM111(purchased from adaptor family UK - could be a fake brick but has been working fine for me the past 5/6 months)

Has anyone experienced anything similar with their s4 mini build using the HD PLEX 400 combined with the Dell 330w power brick?
Anyone know what might have caused this and what i can do to stop this from happening again, i hope it's just the case of replacing the power brick or hd plex 400 or both and not any of my other components. If anyone can guide me in the right direction that would be perfect as i have no clue what to do now and worried to invest more money into the build especially as i don't know what caused this issue. I'm going to borrow a PSU tonight to test to see if it's the HD PLEX 400 and DELL power brick are at fault.

Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks
Palace

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
**NEED HELP**
- -
Through inspection the power lead was stuck and could not be removed, however managed to remove it after some time turning it to wiggle it out and looks like there is no damage on the both the lead and power slot. The power brick still lights green when turned it but seemed quite hot after the incident, upon some research i believe it could be a capacitor going beyond it's limit which could be the reason why it "popped".
- -

That's unfortunate :/

Good job being thorough on the information - I just have one question: Which power lead/connector are you referring to? (the one that was stuck) was it the 24pin cable from the HDPlex to the mobo [and which end], the one from the power brick to the interior cable [that goes to the hdplex], or the one from the interior cable to the hdplex?

Knowing that might help us to help you narrow it down a bit...

edit for clarity...

Last edited:

palace97

Trash Compacter
Sep 6, 2017
That's unfortunate :/

Good job being thorough on the information - I just have one question: Which power lead/connector are you referring to? (the one that was stuck) was it the 24pin cable from the HDPlex to the mobo [and which end], the one from the power brick to the interior cable [that goes to the hdplex], or the one from the interior cable to the hdplex?

Knowing that might help us to help you narrow it down a bit...

edit for clarity...

Hi,

sorry to clarify it was the DC connector (one from the power brick to the interior cable) didn't know the name for it so i tried to describe the best i could haha.

**UPDATE**

tested with a corsair RM550x PSU and everything seems to work as normal which is good. However still haven't pin pointed the problem, my guess would be the HD PLEX 400 but i don't want to jump to conclusion. Reason being is that when plugged the power brick into the wall the green light still turns on, however i do not have another power brick spare to properly test to see if it is the HD PLEX 400. Also the DELL 300w power brick purchased was not direct from DELL which could be what lead to this issue, just a side note i was using the wires included with the HD PLEX, may need to upgrade them as they don't scream quality which could be another factor. Any help would be great, planning to purchase another power brick and buy direct from DELL but if anyone knows why this was caused, i'll be so grateful as i don't want to throw more money at it not knowing what may have caused this to happen.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Hi,

sorry to clarify it was the DC connector (one from the power brick to the interior cable) didn't know the name for it so i tried to describe the best i could haha.

**UPDATE**

tested with a corsair RM550x PSU and everything seems to work as normal which is good. However still haven't pin pointed the problem, my guess would be the HD PLEX 400 but i don't want to jump to conclusion. Reason being is that when plugged the power brick into the wall the green light still turns on, however i do not have another power brick spare to properly test to see if it is the HD PLEX 400. Also the DELL 300w power brick purchased was not direct from DELL which could be what lead to this issue, just a side note i was using the wires included with the HD PLEX, may need to upgrade them as they don't scream quality which could be another factor. Any help would be great, planning to purchase another power brick and buy direct from DELL but if anyone knows why this was caused, i'll be so grateful as i don't want to throw more money at it not knowing what may have caused this to happen.
Assuming it was genuine and performed to specification, there's a chance a capacitor just wasn't up to snuff and died early. Or, if you had spiky power draw, you could have tripped the OCP and blown the fuse.

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com

no worries, thanks for the clarification :)

**UPDATE**

tested with a corsair RM550x PSU and everything seems to work as normal which is good.

Good indeed, I was a little worried for your mobo for a bit there. (esp. thinking you meant the 24pin power cable)

just a side note i was using the wires included with the HD PLEX, may need to upgrade them as they don't scream quality which could be another factor

I know what you mean about the cables, in fact I couldn't get my PC to run while using the stock 24pin cable that came with the HDPlex 400 for whatever reason. First time I plugged it in I couldn't get my PC to power on and then I got it working after removing the wire from pin 20 and then a few reboots later and it wasn't working again ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ - Solved the problem with making my own 16 guage cables :thumb:

In your case since it was already working you're probably fine not upgrading them - up to you. If you do decide to change them out then I happen to know someone who could probably help with that ;) ;)

Assuming it was genuine and performed to specification, there's a chance a capacitor just wasn't up to snuff and died early. Or, if you had spiky power draw, you could have tripped the OCP and blown the fuse.

Yeah, I can't really think of much else that could have happened either - except maybe somehow one of the wires got damaged and shorted on the case or something but that's not very likely unless they were rubbing on a fan or something.

If you inspected the DC jack and everything looks good then I'd have to think the power brick is at fault esp. since the HDPlex 400w is rated at higher capacity.

Reactions: palace97