S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
Say, talking about the Dremel EZ Lock reminds me, any chance you might be able to eventually make a VESA quick-release mount? Something like a flat plate that would have some pegs that fit into the Skyslots, and maybe a center twist-lock thing to fix it in place. Or otherwise just something old-fashioned with bolts. I've been modding up different takes on that, but an official VESA plate seems like it would be a nice accessory, plus it would work with classic and new cases since the Skyslots are the same.

Zuuk

Average Stuffer
Apr 17, 2016

Felidire

Cable Smoosher
Oct 29, 2017
I'm using the S4M case with a Corsair SF600 PSU externally for now, but I noticed that the height of the PSU was almost a perfect fit to the depth of the S4M when turned on its side. The 4-way SATA power cables (that came with the PSU) also press against the case when used on the 2.5" SSDs, making it slightly curved when screwed shut (only 1-2mm). I'm not sure if any CPU coolers are slightly too large, but if the depth of the case was a few mm larger, then a wider variety of SATA power cables could be used comfortably, and the SFX PSU would easily slide into the case with some slight modifications. If there were a sliding door at the bottom left, to accommodate SFX PSUs, that'd be a nifty feature.

I also really wished that I could've fit 3x 2.5" SSDs in there, but the mobo had 2x M.2 slots, so that wasn't a big deal. I'm just glad that I no longer need to use HDDs. I bought a pair of stockings and stretched one around the entirety of the case; it's pretty much dust-proof with that, and it takes about a minute to unplug, carry the entire thing outdoors, and quickly remove the dust. Otherwise, I'd have to let the dust accumulate and then blast it all out with a compressor. A stylish dust-proof wrap designed for the case - that's easy to remove - would be a great addition imo.

I love the case design the way it is, but figured I'd mention my thoughts for the sake of versatility and innovation. Great work designing it, I was previously using an Enthoo Primo case, and now there's so much more free space.

Anyone throw a 8700 or 8700k in their mini yet? Wondering how thermals will be.
http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/7062423

Mine's idling at 44-48C, I bought XXL pantyhose and wrapped it around the entire case to keep out the dust (there's a lot of it here). It's also summer in Australia atm. It sits in the 60s while gaming. The two M.2 SSDs were so hot they'd burn my finger though, back when the mobo was sitting on a cardboard box waiting for the S4M to arrive. The 960 pro is wedged under the mobo, so I zip-tied an "NF-A20 200mm fan" to the outside of the case, to suck hot air away from the M.2s and CPU. If I lived anywhere else I probably wouldn't need it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Okay that looks awesome. I like the intel inside sticker placement. Nice!!!

I'm using the S4M case with a Corsair SF600 PSU externally for now, but I noticed that the height of the PSU was almost a perfect fit to the depth of the S4M when turned on its side. The 4-way SATA power cables (that came with the PSU) also press against the case when used on the 2.5" SSDs, making it slightly curved when screwed shut (only 1-2mm). I'm not sure if any CPU coolers are slightly too large, but if the depth of the case was a few mm larger, then a wider variety of SATA power cables could be used comfortably, and the SFX PSU would easily slide into the case with some slight modifications. If there were a sliding door at the bottom left, to accommodate SFX PSUs, that'd be a nifty feature.

I also really wished that I could've fit 3x 2.5" SSDs in there, but the mobo had 2x M.2 slots, so that wasn't a big deal. I'm just glad that I no longer need to use HDDs. I bought a pair of stockings and stretched one around the entirety of the case; it's pretty much dust-proof with that, and it takes about a minute to unplug, carry the entire thing outdoors, and quickly remove the dust. Otherwise, I'd have to let the dust accumulate and then blast it all out with a compressor. A stylish dust-proof wrap designed for the case - that's easy to remove - would be a great addition imo.

I love the case design the way it is, but figured I'd mention my thoughts for the sake of versatility and innovation. Great work designing it, I was previously using an Enthoo Primo case, and now there's so much more free space.

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/7062423

Mine's idling at 44-48C, I bought XXL pantyhose and wrapped it around the entire case to keep out the dust (there's a lot of it here). It's also summer in Australia atm. It sits in the 60s while gaming. The two M.2 SSDs were so hot they'd burn my finger though, back when the mobo was sitting on a cardboard box waiting for the S4M to arrive. The 960 pro is wedged under the mobo, so I zip-tied an "NF-A20 200mm fan" to the outside of the case, to suck hot air away from the M.2s and CPU. If I lived anywhere else I probably wouldn't need it.
Okay I REALLY like your ideas... but you said your working with the S4M case, you're in the S4M-C thread... the thread for that case is this one...

Either way, i would REALLY like the S4M to be able to fit 3x 2.5in SSDs as well... and the SFX PSU idea is kinda neat! Maybe Josh can add this to his idea pool for the eventual S4M revision, or make an all new S4M-XL?

Also does your S4M have a build log thread on here? I'm interested in seeing details on your 8700k build! :)

ngriesdo

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 15, 2017
It's been a while but I am back! I have some plans for my S4M-C build and it is coming along with great success! I have placed an 8700k stock without a delid inside my S4M-C on an Noctua l9i and it's very stable. I am sitting in the high 70's in games but stress tests fail without an under-volt but I only game so it's not a big deal. I can get temps even lower by the way of increasing the fan speed but I like silence and will take higher temps for it. The G-Unique sleeving job is coming along well but it is taking a lot longer then I expected but that's ok. I am still looking for a new front bezel in Grade A shape but have not had much luck. The biggest thing I have changed is this monster! https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814932011

I plan to gut it and fit it inside the S4M-C, I will have it tomorrow. This will allow me to use it with the stock wrap-around bezel and still have all the power of a i7-8700K and a 1080 Mini! I have also attached an image of the progress with my G-Unique unit! I will be updating my build log shortly! I will show all the progress once everything is complete!

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
I picked up an i7-8700K and a Strix Z370-I and ran some thermal tests in an S4 Mini. Here's what you can expect to see with two of the more popular coolers, a Noctua NH-L9i and a Thermolab LP53 (using the Noctua fan):

Details:
Test Configs:
The CPU was stressed with Prime95 26.6 (no AVX) with 8K in-place FFTs. All testing was done in an S4 Mini. The following images show how the coolers were mounted:

BIOS/UEFI Settings:
The latest BIOS update is supposed to disable multicore enhancement by default but it still reverts to overclocking focused "Auto" settings once you enable XMP for your memory. As a result, the CPU will draw about 120W at 4.3GHz before power limiting and throttling to 95W at 3.9-4.0GHz. When properly tuned, the CPU power drops to 86-88W and maintains 4.3GHz under all-core load. The "Tuned" settings listed below simply force the processor back to stock behavior. The VCCIO/VCCSA voltages work fine for typical DDR4-3200 and can be adjusted for higher speed kits.

VRM Heatsinks:
Removing one or more of the VRM heatsinks improves airflow and reduces CPU temperature at the expense of warmer MOSFETs. Since no one will be overclocking much, or at all, in the S4 Mini, the MOSFETs should stay reasonably cool. You can buy some small heatsinks if you want more peace of mind. Here are some thermal images of the bare VRM under Prime95 load:

Delidding:
Just like the 7700K, delidding is helpful and pretty easy to do. I used the Rockit 88 kit and liquid metal. There's no tiny resistors to worry about on this chip.

Thermal Paste:
I used Noctua NT-H1 for every test except the last. Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut reduced core temperature by 2-3°C but there's nothing wrong with the stuff Noctua includes with their coolers and it's easier to apply.

Conclusion:
Managing the 8700K in the S4 Mini is a lot like the 7700K and 6700K before it. Expect to spend some time getting temperatures under control by delidding, tuning, or modding. My guess is that the i7-8700 will also be difficult to cool, despite the claimed 65W TDP. Strongly consider the i5-8400 or Ryzen 5 1600 for an easier time. For cooling, like @Josh | NFC has mentioned before, Noctua is still the best overall when considering mounting, compatibility, and price.
This deserves an independent thread. Very informative and helpful, thanks a lot! It is truly impressive to see the temps that low. I think I might have lost on the silicon lottery since my CPU run wayy hotter even when delidded.

Creep

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 2, 2017
Got Josh working on a custom 3D wood bezel to cover my Zotac Mini. Can't wait to get it installed and this build will be finally done!

tumor

Chassis Packer
Jun 14, 2017

Crazy idea...but did you try layering 3x2.5" SSD like roof tiles to fit all three in? SMR for SSDs!

Also, had a good chuckle at the stocking dust cover. Pictured someone looking at stockings and asking which brand had the best airflow and strength. XD

...plz post pics.

Felidire

Cable Smoosher
Oct 29, 2017
... you're in the S4M-C thread... the thread for that case is this one...

Either way, i would REALLY like the S4M to be able to fit 3x 2.5in SSDs as well... and the SFX PSU idea is kinda neat! Maybe Josh can add this to his idea pool for the eventual S4M revision, or make an all new S4M-XL?
Lol damn, someone must've changed the thread title while I wasn't looking? XD

Yeah, I usually run a 2x2TB RAID1 pair and a scratch drive, and the case is so close to being able to fit 3x 2.5" SSDs. the 2x M.2s slots made that a non-issue, but 1TB M.2s are pricey! A slightly wider case might be justifiable some day if it brings enough versatility; like moving up the power button and adding a sliding window for partially embedded SFX PSU (which would also leave room for additional USB slots near the power button), and no external brick would be required. If future DC-DC PSU designs should ever require more room, it may be worth looking into.

Crazy idea...but did you try layering 3x2.5" SSD like roof tiles to fit all three in? SMR for SSDs!

Also, had a good chuckle at the stocking dust cover. Pictured someone looking at stockings and asking which brand had the best airflow and strength. XD
That might work, I'll have to look into it. Haha, I just grabbed the cheapest ones I could find on ebay, they were a bit of a tight fit, but turned out quite nicely. Stops the dust, and makes the MoBo LEDs look nicer.

Creep

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 2, 2017
Pretty much done. Got a few small things to finish but this is it (bought new exterior screws and I was one short grr). Didn't think I'd like the wood over the acrylic but the exclusion of the black cover for the air vent looks much cleaner. The cover is much darker person and has a nice sheen. Thanks Josh!

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
Lol damn, someone must've changed the thread title while I wasn't looking? XD

Yeah, I usually run a 2x2TB RAID1 pair and a scratch drive, and the case is so close to being able to fit 3x 2.5" SSDs. the 2x M.2s slots made that a non-issue, but 1TB M.2s are pricey! A slightly wider case might be justifiable some day if it brings enough versatility; like moving up the power button and adding a sliding window for partially embedded SFX PSU (which would also leave room for additional USB slots near the power button), and no external brick would be required. If future DC-DC PSU designs should ever require more room, it may be worth looking into.

That might work, I'll have to look into it. Haha, I just grabbed the cheapest ones I could find on ebay, they were a bit of a tight fit, but turned out quite nicely. Stops the dust, and makes the MoBo LEDs look nicer.

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...ray-and-dc-jack-for-skyreach.6464/#post-87654

Dezz

Chassis Packer
Jun 13, 2017
Does anybody know of any build logs or pictures of somebody using a Zotac 1080 mini and one of Gury's power solutions in their S4 Mini Classic?

Dezz

Chassis Packer
Jun 13, 2017
Any advice on HDPlex 400 + Dell 330 watt unable to provide enough power to my system?

I've got 7700k+1080, essentially the same build from this video:

Edit: also the Zotac 1080's fan likes to clip the case/3d bezel I have. Its like its just a mm or two too long for my bezel.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Any advice on HDPlex 400 + Dell 330 watt unable to provide enough power to my system?

I've got 7700k+1080, essentially the same build from this video:

Edit: also the Zotac 1080's fan likes to clip the case/3d bezel I have. Its like its just a mm or two too long for my bezel.
the HDPLEX400 and dell 330W PSU should be fine. Also you may want to identify exactly where the fans are chipping, I solved that by using a strong file and filing down a portion of the bottom edge of the GPU cutout.

Dezz

Chassis Packer
Jun 13, 2017
the HDPLEX400 and dell 330W PSU should be fine. Also you may want to identify exactly where the fans are chipping, I solved that by using a strong file and filing down a portion of the bottom edge of the GPU cutout.

Yeah it should be, but whenever I hop into games power gets cut. Cant really tell if its the HDPlex 400 or the Dell 330 watt.

Reactions: CubanLegend

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Yeah it should be, but whenever I hop into games power gets cut. Cant really tell if its the HDPlex 400 or the Dell 330 watt.
did you buy a device to observe wall wattage? or have you observed GPU and CPU wattage for spikes?

did you buy an ORIGINAL, legit Dell 330w brick? if you didn't, then that may be the culprit.

Last edited: