S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yeah it should be, but whenever I hop into games power gets cut. Cant really tell if its the HDPlex 400 or the Dell 330 watt.

DON'T BUY FAKE BRICKS. Seriously though, I'm going to be slagging fake bricks every chance I get from here out. Almost every complaint I've had of a Dynamo Combo not working to date has had its roots in a fake Dell 330W brick. Remember kids, you get what you pay for (especially when buying fake crap from China).

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Yeah. If you're getting a suspiciously good deal, you're probably gonna have a bad time. A bad power supply can ruin an entire rig.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
Hey, @Josh | NFC

I had a thought in regards to an s4m 6950x build - the am4 version of noctuas lp cooler uses secufirm, meaning it could use the narrow ILM 2011 mounting noctua makes.

Any chance such a diminutive cooler could handle the heat?

Edit
Further investigation has made this stop dead in its tracks, it seems they don't use secufirm

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

Dezz

Chassis Packer
Jun 13, 2017
did you buy a device to observe wall wattage? or have you observed GPU and CPU wattage for spikes?

did you buy an ORIGINAL, legit Dell 330w brick? if you didn't, then that may be the culprit.

@Josh | NFC @royalba94 @Biowarejak

I purchased my brick from "IT Wholesalers" on Newegg. It looks 100% legitimate but it could be fake. Model DA330PM111.

I've turned off Turbo on my 7700k and have only had it cut off once in about 5-6 hours of gaming. Obviously I want to be able to have turbo enabled but it's a compromise for now. I've had it hooked up to a Killawatt and got it to read 310 Watts running Unigine Valley + Cinebench concurrently (with turbo off). Not sure how to observe for spikes above that. I did notice however that using other benchmarks throttles either the CPU or GPU utilization and I'm unable to get more than like 270 Watts pulled from the wall. I may just buy a new brick from dell directly even though it'll run me $160.

Side note, I noticed the little plug that accepts the DC Jack from the Dell brick gets extremely hot. I don't have a way to measure its actual temp but I'm concerned it may get damaged from extended use at high power consumption.

Edit: Link to brick I bought: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4A05RU4850

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
@Josh | NFC @royalba94 @Biowarejak

I purchased my brick from "IT Wholesalers" on Newegg. It looks 100% legitimate but it could be fake. Model DA330PM111.

I've turned off Turbo on my 7700k and have only had it cut off once in about 5-6 hours of gaming. Obviously I want to be able to have turbo enabled but it's a compromise for now. I've had it hooked up to a Killawatt and got it to read 310 Watts running Unigine Valley + Cinebench concurrently (with turbo off). Not sure how to observe for spikes above that. I did notice however that using other benchmarks throttles either the CPU or GPU utilization and I'm unable to get more than like 270 Watts pulled from the wall. I may just buy a new brick from dell directly even though it'll run me $160.

Side note, I noticed the little plug that accepts the DC Jack from the Dell brick gets extremely hot. I don't have a way to measure its actual temp but I'm concerned it may get damaged from extended use at high power consumption.

Edit: Link to brick I bought: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4A05RU4850

Thx for tagging me, this is definitely an interesting issue. I don't consider myself an expert on knowing what a genuine Dell brick should say on it but like you said it all looks good to me.

Seems to me that the brick isn't quite up to spec and might be partially defective (at least if it is a genuine Dell) in the cooling department at least.

Have you tried running it with a fan blowing on the brick? - Might be worth a shot and if it works could save you a chunk of change.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I purchased a bunch of bricks to do a shootout, but I've been sick so I'm way behind on my videos. I've found that the LA not the PA are much better and what you will get it if you order from Dell.

HP Voodoo has a new 330w brick which is testing very good and I've drafted some customers to use them. It may be a good immediately available source.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0745JLYKV/?tag=theminutiae-20

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
I purchased a bunch of bricks to do a shootout, but I've been sick so I'm way behind on my videos. I've found that the LA not the PA are much better and what you will get it if you order from Dell.

HP Voodoo has a new 330w brick which is testing very good and I've drafted some customers to use them. It may be a good immediately available source.

Looks pretty slick as well, might fit in a bit better than the more blocky looking units

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
@Josh | NFC how do you go about licensing SkySlots? I kinda modeled them up based on my S4M-C's measurements for a case I'm working on as part of my in-development FreeCad tutorial series, and I figured I should ask before I showed any teasers. I can go with a different pattern if you prefer, as it's more of a placeholder than an example right now.

Reactions: royalba94

SpringerTheNerd

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 7, 2017
Thinking I might sell my S4Mc and get a laptop. I literally built this as a travel gaming rig (i travel about once a month) and man this case is absolutely beautiful but I honestly feel bad because of how little use it gets...

Been off the forums for a while so I'm not sure of what's new in the sff world but is there still a market for the S4Mc or has it's new brother made it obsolete?

Last edited:

lac29

Average Stuffer
Apr 1, 2017
Thinking I might sell my S4Mc and get a laptop. I literally built this as a travel gaming rig (i travel about once a month) and man this case is absolutely beautiful but I honestly feel bad because of how little use it gets...

Been off the forums for a while so I'm not sure of what's new in the sff world but is there still a market for the S4Mc or has it's new brother made it obsolete?

I'm not sure there is a particularly big market for them because of the new Skyreach release. I'm actually selling mine as well and there are a few takers, but a lot will depend on how you price it. I don't think you should necessarily expect a great return because of the features/benefits the new release has over the Classic (despite the looks department being a bit nicer on the Classic). It seems like it just made putting in a 1080 a lot easier.

SpringerTheNerd

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 7, 2017
I'm not sure there is a particularly big market for them because of the new Skyreach release. I'm actually selling mine as well and there are a few takers, but a lot will depend on how you price it. I don't think you should necessarily expect a great return because of the features/benefits the new release has over the Classic (despite the looks department being a bit nicer on the Classic). It seems like it just made putting in a 1080 a lot easier.

My classic actually has a 1080 in it haha. That's why I feel like it's just a waste because of how often it gets used

lac29

Average Stuffer
Apr 1, 2017
My classic actually has a 1080 in it haha. That's why I feel like it's just a waste because of how often it gets used

Maybe you'll have a better time selling the whole thing including case w/components. I think it might be good for you since you already have the 1080 in the Classic up and working which I kinda think most people don't want to go through the hassle when they can just get the Skyreach and have installation be straightforward.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
@Josh | NFC how do you go about licensing SkySlots? I kinda modeled them up based on my S4M-C's measurements for a case I'm working on as part of my in-development FreeCad tutorial series, and I figured I should ask before I showed any teasers. I can go with a different pattern if you prefer, as it's more of a placeholder than an example right now.

Dear Biowarejak,

Everything I have ever done or ever will do is free and encouraged for personal or educational use. Eventually I would like it to be free for community use but that is complicated to figure out as I debate the quality of Creative Commons Licensing.

I would be extremely happy if you could use something I worked on in a tutorial series or in your personal PC.

I'll PM you with details

Peace

Dezz

Chassis Packer
Jun 13, 2017
Thx for tagging me, this is definitely an interesting issue. I don't consider myself an expert on knowing what a genuine Dell brick should say on it but like you said it all looks good to me.

Seems to me that the brick isn't quite up to spec and might be partially defective (at least if it is a genuine Dell) in the cooling department at least.

Have you tried running it with a fan blowing on the brick? - Might be worth a shot and if it works could save you a chunk of change.

I did not try the fan thing. I'm confident it isn't an issue with heating as I could trip my system upon immediately hopping into a game of Overwatch when my PC has only been on for a few minutes. I've run this same brick for many hours at a time with heavy load on a 7700k/1060.

I did get a new brick directly from dell (this one is P/N 5X3NX). Re-enabled turbo on my 7700k and haven't had any issues yet although it's only been a couple of hours. Hopefully this one lives up to my expectations considering its $160 :s

What do you mean about LA and PA? I can't tell if you mean the part number or what.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
LA and PA indicate the manufacturer that Dell uses for their bricks. LA is Lite On I believe and I forget what PA is.

Reactions: Obelisk