S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

RenG

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 17, 2016
Where can i get this case? The new s4 mini is not for me :(

They're like unicorns now. Your best bet is the BST thread here, or sometimes eBay. Josh said that he will produce S4M-C from time to time, so you could wait for that also.

Extractus

Case Bender
Apr 22, 2018
Batches of this will continue to be made, but less often than before IIRC. Sorry about that :/

Do we know when the next batch will happen? I just discovered sff builds, and an hoping to throw together a Ryzen 2/vega 56 or GTX 1070 build soon. The S4 mini Classic looks like the chassis for me, especially with the Sky skins .

Reactions: br3nd0

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Do we know when the next batch will happen? I just discovered sff builds, and an hoping to throw together a Ryzen 2/vega 56 or GTX 1070 build soon. The S4 mini Classic looks like the chassis for me, especially with the Sky skins .
I don't believe there's been any announcements unfortunately. Perhaps by the holidays? That's when the last one was.

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016

Forget about the Vega 56 though inside an S4M, unless there's an update on Radeon ITX-sized Vega cards. NVidia will be your only option if you're wanting that sort of GPU grunt in the Skyreach case. PowerColor did showcase a prototype recently, but I personally wouldn't get too excited about that.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 16, 2017
lol i was posting in the S4M thread. realized that here is my home :-D

i had the asus z270-i with an delidded 6700k + LP53 + Noctua fan.
Prime gets me 87-89°C

Tomorrow im delidding the i7 8700k and throwing the z370-i into the mix.
Im curious how the temps behave.

anyone posted here about the 8700k in the S4M-C recently?

Reactions: CubanLegend

palace97

Trash Compacter
Sep 6, 2017
Experiencing CPU temps of around 85 degrees while gaming which i believe is quite high. Currently using a i7 7700 (non K) coupled with the noctua L9-i cooler. Is it worth deliding the CPU to get temps down a bit? Any other advice to get CPU temps down?

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 16, 2017
Experiencing CPU temps of around 85 degrees while gaming which i believe is quite high. Currently using a i7 7700 (non K) coupled with the noctua L9-i cooler. Is it worth deliding the CPU to get temps down a bit? Any other advice to get CPU temps down?
ofcourse, if you can do it without breaking it, youll gain 5-15°C lower temps

Reactions: palace97

palace97

Trash Compacter
Sep 6, 2017
Is it normal to see average temps of 85 degrees while gaming for an i7 7700(non k) in a S4 mini classic?

Surely I’m doing something wrong here seeing temps this high while gaming as it causing some games to stutter. If anyone can tell me what temps they get while gaming, that’ll much appreciated as my last resort is deliding the CPU!

Also last question what CPU and cooler setup runs best inside the S4 mini classic, I know this is down to personal opinion but it would be great to get some advice on this as I don’t fancy hitting the high 80s while gaming!

Just to mention I am running the rig on a ASUS PG348q 3440 x1440p monitor, could this be why my cpu runs so hot?

My current setup:
I7 7700 (non k) cpu
Noctua l9-i cpu cooler
Hyper x ddr4 2666 ram 16gb
Asus Z270i motherboard
Msi Aero 1070 itx gpu
HDPlEX 400
Dell 300w Power brick (purchased direct from dell)

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Is it normal to see average temps of 85 degrees while gaming for an i7 7700(non k) in a S4 mini classic?

Surely I’m doing something wrong here seeing temps this high while gaming as it causing some games to stutter. If anyone can tell me what temps they get while gaming, that’ll much appreciated as my last resort is deliding the CPU!

Also last question what CPU and cooler setup runs best inside the S4 mini classic, I know this is down to personal opinion but it would be great to get some advice on this as I don’t fancy hitting the high 80s while gaming!

Just to mention I am running the rig on a ASUS PG348q 3440 x1440p monitor, could this be why my cpu runs so hot?

My current setup:
I7 7700 (non k) cpu
Noctua l9-i cpu cooler
Hyper x ddr4 2666 ram 16gb
Asus Z270i motherboard
Msi Aero 1070 itx gpu
HDPlEX 400
Dell 300w Power brick (purchased direct from dell)
Need to know your clock speed and if you delidded or not.

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Hi,
I’m not sure what the clock speed is as I’m currently not with my mini, I haven’t delided the CPU!
Well, granted you can't overclock it so you might have a bad TIM application for your heatsink. I'd try reseating that. Otherwise, seems that the Kaby Lake chips run hot. Also, see if multicore enhancement is on in your bios. Turning it off should lower temps.

palace97

Trash Compacter
Sep 6, 2017
Well, granted you can't overclock it so you might have a bad TIM application for your heatsink. I'd try reseating that. Otherwise, seems that the Kaby Lake chips run hot. Also, see if multicore enhancement is on in your bios. Turning it off should lower temps.

The thermal paste i used was the one that came with the noctua l9-i, surely that's a fairly good thermal paste? Would you advise deliding the CPU in that case? Will have a look at multi core enhancement now and see if that makes any difference, thanks for your help!

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
The thermal paste i used was the one that came with the noctua l9-i, surely that's a fairly good thermal paste? Would you advise deliding the CPU in that case? Will have a look at multi core enhancement now and see if that makes any difference, thanks for your help!
It is a good one, but he meant it could be applied badly. If you have time to take it apart, see if the thermal paste spreaded properly. If it is, then delid is your next option.

palace97

Trash Compacter
Sep 6, 2017
It is a good one, but he meant it could be applied badly. If you have time to take it apart, see if the thermal paste spreaded properly. If it is, then delid is your next option.
Just taken it apart as I plan on deliding it as I don’t think there is another option, I applied a pea size amount (did I need to spread it across the CPU?) because I didn’t but it all looks good.

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Just taken it apart as I plan on deliding it as I don’t think there is another option, I applied a pea size amount (did I need to spread it across the CPU?) because I didn’t but it all looks good.
Should spread out nicely on its own. Just sanity check that you removed the plastic protection from the bottom of the heatsink if it's still accessible. Then I'd still double check multicore enhancement.

palace97

Trash Compacter
Sep 6, 2017
Should spread out nicely on its own. Just sanity check that you removed the plastic protection from the bottom of the heatsink if it's still accessible. Then I'd still double check multicore enhancement.

Plastic protection from the bottom of the heat sink? Checked multicore advancement and some games like battlefield, performance is dramatically decreased so turned it back on although temps did drop slightly

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Plastic protection from the bottom of the heat sink? Checked multicore advancement and some games like battlefield, performance is dramatically decreased so turned it back on although temps did drop slightly
Yeah, heatsinks tend to have a plastic film on the bottom, to protect the surface until it's ready to mount, though I'm not sure about yours. Every now and then it gets overlooked and significantly increases temperatures.