Discussion RTX 3000 Series ITX Cards

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
Yeah I'm also limited to 190mm in the Mi-6, would love to upgrade my 1070 as I want to move to a 1440p monitor, an ultrawide would be nice.

Reactions: Revenant

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
The Asus Dual Mini RTX 3070 is slated to be released October 15th according to Videocardz, hopefully by mid November there will be some decent stock of these cards in stores.

Negative, Nvidia has confirmed the 3070 availability has been pushed back to October 29th.

GeForce RTX 3070 Availability Update
Production of GeForce RTX 3070 graphics cards are ramping quickly. We’ve heard from many of you that there should be more cards available on launch day. To help make that happen, we are updating the availability date to Thursday, October 29th.
We know this may be disappointing to those eager to purchase a GeForce RTX 3070 as soon as possible, however this shift will help our global partners get more graphics cards into the hands of gamers on launch day.
The GeForce RTX 3070 delivers incredible performance and features, including NVIDIA Reflex and Broadcast, for $499. Across a variety of ray-traced and rasterized DirectX and Vulkan titles, the GeForce RTX 3070 delivers similar or faster performance than the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (which sold for twice the price) and is on average 60% faster than the original GeForce RTX 2070.

Reactions: Jello

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Yeah I'm also limited to 190mm in the Mi-6, would love to upgrade my 1070 as I want to move to a 1440p monitor, an ultrawide would be nice.

Same issue. My MI-6 is my HTPC right now with a 1070 in it. That’s fine for my 1080P 60hz TV, but I plan to get a 4K 120hz TV. The good news is that at living room distance I don’t see much of difference between 1080p and 4K on TVs. The bad news is that 60hz feels awful to me after playing at 120hz for so long on my main rig. Need those frames...

Reactions: Jello

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
Thanks for the update. Given the situation in the world, I wonder how fast their stock will sell out.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I think the best bet is going to be the 3060 Ti, 180W so they ought to be able to make an itx version.

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
I think the best bet is going to be the 3060 Ti, 180W so they ought to be able to make an itx version.
Hope someone has something in the pipeline. I'm open to a different case but the Mi-6 has a nice small footprint.

Reactions: rfarmer

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
The RTX 3080 stories keep coming. The TL;DR oversimplified version is that MSI was caught scalping 9maybe a rogue employee trying to get a promotion?) its own cards on eBay under a different name (that of a corporate subsidiary). GN as usual did some investigating in addition to the reddit sleuthing

Last edited:

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
LTT reported last night NVidia is no longer selling FE cards direct; now have to get them from distributors

In the USA, that would be Best Buy apparently.

• Sad
Reactions: Phuncz

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Any sign of ITX ampere GPUs right now??? Perhaps Gigabyte or MSI might release their mini-itx model

Not yet, if ever**

**Reason being Ampere is crazy power hungry and generates a ton of heat. The most powerful Turing GPUs that could be made ITX sized (thinking 2070) are nearly half the thermal power of Ampere 3080. 3070 FE is close in thermal power to a 2080 FE, according to Nvidia's own specs page. Simply making a cooler capable of keeping the card cool in an ITX form factor is the problem

Maybe the 3060, come sometime in December will finally run cool enough to be able to be cooled in a 180mm form factor.

Reactions: Acalanata

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Oh, maybe then make a mini-itx ampere GPU that is designed for watercooling? Like the Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce
The FE has a very short PCB so will be close to itx size with a waterblock. Otherwise don't expect an aircooled one until possibly 3060 Ti.

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
Watercooled ITX gpu's make little sense in a way that if there's space for a separate radiator and who knows what else, then better just use a full sized pgu instead of the whole watercooling scenario. Mini gpu's are mostly used in the smallest cases like Velka 3 and the like.

I would also like to see an Ampere itx gpu and I'm a bit disappointed that this new generation was only focused on performance so much that they did not care too much for power consumption and temperatures. I understand that it's probably easier to make some card powerful like that, but innovation in other areas, like consumption and temps can also be called progress, it should be regarded as a worthy direction to head towards, espeically nowdays. I think that focusing on these departments would be the best for the SFF community, yet currently even the bigger cases struggle with the strange cooling solutions that the 3080 and 3090 FE cards have.

Yet one aftermarket company should realize that the users require mini gpu's are not an insignificant amount, if we take into account that nobody did an Ampere itx card yet. So whoever makes the first product, will totally reap the whole market for themselves! A lot of people with Velka 3, K39, Geeek 30, Lazer3D and who knows what else will make purchase. First company to do it will get all the money. This should be enough motivation for any of them to make one.

Last edited:

AndyWags

Chassis Packer
Dec 2, 2019
I think underclocking will be a must. I've got myself a velka 3, waiting on a new GPU under 175mm. I mean we would have laughed a couple years back if you said you could cool a 2080ti with a single fan.