Discussion RTX 3000 Series ITX Cards

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020
You should take a look at the ITX 2070 offerings. They were previously a pain to find, but I've seen a bunch of them on ebay for around 300 to 400 after the bottom fell out of the market. I've got a galax mini in my htpc and the performance for the size is really nice. If you're looking for a 1080p/1440p card, they get pretty close to what the 3060 should be.

paullusty

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 22, 2017
I'm not sure if any of you watch Moores Law is dead on YT (he does video on rumors and leaks about upcoming cpu/gpu products) but he seems to think that Big Navvi will be very close to the performance of the 3000 series cards but have better efficiency.
Maybe we will get better cards for ITX from AMD this time around.

Reactions: LeandroB

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
I'm not sure if any of you watch Moores Law is dead on YT (he does video on rumors and leaks about upcoming cpu/gpu products) but he seems to think that Big Navvi will be very close to the performance of the 3000 series cards but have better efficiency.

Yea I saw it, it would be nice for AMD to hold Nvidia to the fire. OTOH AMD's GPU division and power efficiency don't usually go together.

Reactions: loader963

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
...that Big Navvi will be very close to the performance of the 3000 series cards but have better efficiency.
I do not have high hope.
According to some reports, performance of Big Navi will depend on how high the wattage AMD allows it to be. If it remains at 270W-ish, then it will perform between a 3080 and a 3070, as expected. Nvidia will release a 3070Ti to challenge that. If it is allowed to go up to 300W, then it will get close to a 3080's performance. But then, Big Navi's 300W is not that far from 3080's 320W. The 20W difference is not going to help out an ITX card much.

Reactions: Zadok24 and owliwar

Skwinnik

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Sep 8, 2020
I'm not sure if we will get like, 3070 in itx for a while, as these card will be very hot, but that's no impossible.
Hi, newbie here :) I was looking at 3070 specs, and I'm not sure why this card should be very hot (I assume you mean comparing to 2070/super)? TDP is basically the same (215W vs 220W) and I couldn't find any other info on the subject. Could you please share your thoughts on this? Was thinking of installing one in Dan A4 (not sure about that air-through cooling system though)

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Hi, newbie here :) I was looking at 3070 specs, and I'm not sure why this card should be very hot (I assume you mean comparing to 2070/super)? TDP is basically the same (215W vs 220W) and I couldn't find any other info on the subject. Could you please share your thoughts on this? Was thinking of installing one in Dan A4 (not sure about that air-through cooling system though)
The 2070 uses 188W and they did offer itx versions, the 2070 Super is 225W and the smallest was the Zotac, there were never any itx Super versions.

lilipeipei

Cable Smoosher
Aug 15, 2020
Bykski has released the water block for 3090 FE, that looks sooo cool

but why AIB companies cannot make a card that short?‍♂️

Reactions: Phuncz

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
3090 FE has short PCB. I bet, PCB of AIB cards are also not long but rather short.
The reason of a long AIB card is not the PCB but the added length to accommodate a 3-fan design and a beefy heatsink. For a water-cooled card, the ultimate thermal transfer is still by air cooling (ie fans blowing through the rad is, in essence, the same as fans blowing thru a heatsink). You just 'relocate' the beefy air cooled heatsink from attaching onto the card to somewhere else in a case. The combined total volume of a water cooled card is similar to, or even more than, that of an air cooled card.

teodoro

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 8, 2018
It seems, maybe I am wrong, that the founder edition is more a 2.2 slots than a 2 slots!
the backplate looks a little thicker than normal, but the front of the shroud/fans definitely sits a mm or two below the pci-e bracket edge (assuming those are a standard size). so the distance between the pci-e connector and the front of the card falls under the 'dual slot' thickness, but the overall card thickness might be a bit fatter. that'd potentially be problematic for some sandwich layout cases.

Reactions: Phuncz

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
the backplate looks a little thicker than normal, but the front of the shroud/fans definitely sits a mm or two below the pci-e bracket edge (assuming those are a standard size). so the distance between the pci-e connector and the front of the card falls under the 'dual slot' thickness, but the overall card thickness might be a bit fatter. that'd potentially be problematic for some sandwich layout cases.

Aaaah, yes! I've got fooled by the backplate! NICE!

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020

3090 Needed a wide case to start with...with those inlet/outlets as they are, you need a wider case still. Yikes.

monsieurtaco

What's an ITX?
New User
Mar 6, 2018
Any news on whether or not the 230/240mm pcb is the shortest we'll see in the 30xx series? Really hoping for something under 215mm (S4M limit) but if it's constrained by some design limitations I guess that's too bad.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Any news on whether or not the 230/240mm pcb is the shortest we'll see in the 30xx series? Really hoping for something under 215mm (S4M limit) but if it's constrained by some design limitations I guess that's too bad.
Well, the 230mm of EKWB are with the rgb side plastic shit. If you remove it you should be at around 213mm!

vex_sb

Average Stuffer
May 11, 2018
Techpowerup have the card and they said :" The PCB is less than two-thirds the length of the card and isn't rectangular in shape " . So, that means under 20cm . Perfect for itx build

Reactions: fabio

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Techpowerup have the card and they said :" The PCB is less than two-thirds the length of the card and isn't rectangular in shape " . So, that means under 20cm . Perfect for itx build
Indeed, I use TPU's pic of the PCB and with known length of the PCIE card edge connector as reference, I proportion that length of that card PCB (3080) to be 188-189mm.

Reactions: fabio

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Anyone confirme the length of the 3080 PCB from end to end? If it doesn't protrude past that Bykski waterblock you might be able to fit an additional 120mm rad in some sandwich cases, using the empty space in front of the card.